Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Real world 16/44 sometimes ends up with various kinds of dodginess above 20kHz - none of which would matter if we had zero distortion playback BTW.

Some roll off starting somewhere below 20kHz could help - MP3 might be an advantage in this context. See discussion http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...13#post3040013.
    Last edited by darrenyeats; 2017-05-19 at 15:54.
    Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
    Real world 16/44 sometimes ends up with various kinds of dodginess above 20kHz - none of which would matter if we had zero distortion playback BTW.

Some roll off starting somewhere below 20kHz could help - MP3 might be an advantage in this context. See discussion http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...13#post3040013.
    Even if this is some idea from Werner i am still sceptic that people think to hear ringing above 20kHz but not a 18kHz lowpass...
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Read the whole thing. I don't think Werner suggested anyone could hear above 20kHz.
    Last edited by darrenyeats; 2017-05-19 at 16:24.

SB Touch

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    You're reading this forum from the pub!? I guess it's not exactly a "happening place" this Friday evening :-(.
    Heh. Not the whole forum, just catching up a couple of subscribed threads..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Flat earth hypothesis

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    But then there is this: Why the Flat Earth Movement is the Best Symbol of the Increasingly Diminished Value of Truth and Intelligence

"It’s the same quick-fix attitude that’s besieging our political landscape: information that doesn’t accord with your carefully manicured world-view is “fake news,” opinions that don’t cohere with your own are offensive, everything you dislike or that frightens you can be wedged between scare quotes and rejected out of hand. Never mind the “expertise” of “professionals” and “elites.” You still matter. You know everything you need to know."

For many audiophilia is a way to escape from a modern world full of knowledge, science, technology and expertise into a simpler, gentler word where you count simply for having been around long enough to read enough audiophile magazines and but the right boxes. But because you are Special, with better ears than the ears of all those know-it-all engineer types, your Truth trumps (pun intended) all their formulas.

Unfortunately proving them wrong just strengthens their resolve.
    Hi Julf.

Bit late responding but "nevermind".

It is a great shame that the inability of our measuring equipment (including the Hasselblad cameras used on the Apollo 8 mission) to detect all the Hilbert space dimensions in which the universe is framed has led philistines to regard the poetically beautiful concept of the Earth being a flat disc supported by an infinite column of blue turtles as "untrue" according to some ignorant "scientific" mumbo-jumbo.

What could be more ridiculous from a common-sense viewpoint than the notion that the earth is not only round but has nothing to hold it up? It would obviously fall down.

I'm sure that some of the turtles (any number of them at a time in fact) would welcome some respite from their arduous duties, although our own turtles might discriminate against them because of the colour of their skin if we were to release them into the ocean. So I suppose a decent zoo is the best we could offer...

Doubtless one day we will dispense with this ridiculous scientific method which by its own axioms is unable to prove anything, & begin to appreciate the real wonders of our universe once again.

Dave

Last edited by darrenyeats; 2017-05-20 at 03:38.

SB Touch

Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post

That's encouraging. If there are still people who believe that the earth is flat, this help explain why people still believe in magic DACs and amps and cable, and the like.

Enhanced reality

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    That's encouraging. If there are still people who believe that the earth is flat, this help explain why people still believe in magic DACs and amps and cable, and the like.
    I've been advised that with a little pharmacological help you can still catch Xanadu & Brigadoon...

Dave

P.S. However, when William Blake wrote "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear as it is, infinite", I don't think he had Aldous Huxley's self-indulgent mescaline experiments in mind
    Last edited by Golden Earring; 2017-05-20 at 05:47. Reason: postscript