Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Dead Controller?

After a power outage, I found that my controller wouldn't boot. It would only cycle through a sequence of flashing the button lights on and off, ending with a brief appearance of the Logitech logo in the display, then begin the cycle again. Replacing the battery seemed to fix the problem, but after two weeks I suddenly found that the battery is run down and won't charge in the controller.

If I remove the battery and set the controller in the charging cradle, the button lights all flash on and off. Thus, the controller is not usable when sitting in the cradleŚwhich I thought it was supposed to be. Does this mean my controller is kaput?

I have tried disassembling the controller and putting it back together, but this ritual produced no change in behavior.

The charger is producing 5 volts at the contacts, and >250 mA, which is all that my tester can read. The output is supposed to be "2 Amps max." Is it conceivable that the charger is producing the requisite number of volts but not enough amps?

I tried replacing the adapter, and so far so good. After a few days, the controller battery has not lost its charge, which is what was happening before. If anyone else has a similar problem, this is definitely worth a try.

The very same adapter is currently OEM'd by Cisco for a line of telephones. Search on the adapter part number PSM11R-050, and you'll find it.

I think I've got a similar problem with a dead/dying adapter. I've got 2 controllers and chargers, 1 charger works with both controllers, the 2nd measures 5V, but just won't charge - it has a similar flash/power-on/power-off cycle on the controller.

I'll look to find a similar replacement adapter (I'm in Australia, so will need to source one with appropriate plugs).

Was the replacement easy? Did you simply splice the output wires into the old wires, or resolder at the cradle circuit board? I'm assuming there's only 2 wires (+ and -) coming from the adapter.

Edit: I should have asked - assuming I can get any replacement adapter that matches the original voltage and amps, would that be appropriate to use, or is there anything else I need to check/confirm?

Thanks.
    Last edited by kidhazy; 2017-07-19 at 17:08.

Check polarity of plug (inside or outside negative)
    SqueezeBoxes: 2x SB2 (Living room and study), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Bedroom)
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, D-Link Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity