Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    To set up LMS on a WD WiFi enabled drive, I followed these instructions.
    It's not too difficult, but it helps to know a little Linux.

Robert
    Thanks Bob! I'll hang on to that link. Never know when a WD drive will show up around the house... Still surprised that it has enough oomf to run the server, but happy that it does!

Quote Originally Posted by brawny View Post
    Thanks Bob! I'll hang on to that link. Never know when a WD drive will show up around the house... Still surprised that it has enough oomf to run the server, but happy that it does!
    If you're not trandscoding then most modern embedded Linux systems are fine for LMS. The only thing you may notice is slower scanning and if your library is large then sometimes refreshing lists is slower, but otherwise all good.

I mean, the Touch is about 1/5th CPU power or less than the WD wireless drives and it works OK ish for small collections locally.

If its total portability that you are looking for then a Windows touchscreen tablet and a pair of decent USB speakers is probably the most convenient option - perhaps have duplicate USB speakers which you can leave in each trailer.

I use a Linx 1010 loaded with LMS and Squeezeplay with Music on an SD card but you could use USB. I don't need any wi-fi but if its there then great. Obviously it is easy to return it to base and sync your library.

The Linx charges via a USB cable so should be easy to get the required power. There are 2 usable USB ports apart from the charging mini USB port.

That said when I go on holiday I have been known to take a NAS, Pi, Router & Speakers (and/or a selection of audio connection cables if there is some kind of music player available).
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
    If you're not trandscoding then most modern embedded Linux systems are fine for LMS. The only thing you may notice is slower scanning and if your library is large then sometimes refreshing lists is slower, but otherwise all good.

I mean, the Touch is about 1/5th CPU power or less than the WD wireless drives and it works OK ish for small collections locally.
    Scanning my collection of 2473 albums with 26449 songs by 7156 artists doesn't take too long on the WD WiFi drive on the scan for new files option, obviously a bit longer on the full rescan. I should time it next time.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Scanning my collection of 2473 albums with 26449 songs by 7156 artists doesn't take too long on the WD WiFi drive on the scan for new files option, obviously a bit longer on the full rescan. I should time it next time.

Robert
    The WD Drive running LMS scans my media collection of 2493 albums with 26589 songs by 7190 artists in a little under 20 minutes (that's looking for new files; from memory a clear and rescan is 1-2 hours).

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob