Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Daleyb, just read your last post, PiCorePlayer and LMS are both loaded onto the SD card. When you turn it on it reads pCP and LMS into RAM as part of the bootup process. The way it works is you write pCP to the SD card, plug it into the RPi and turn it on. You then use another PC/laptop on the network to access it using a web browser (how to do this is detailed on the pCP web site). The web configuration page then has a button which you press to download and install the latest LMS on the SD card. Max2Play works in a similar way. I tried both and settled on Max2Play for server use and PiCorePlayer for playback although either will do both if you want.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers

Isn't there a yearly license fee for Max2Play?

PiCore Player is free, however a donation is probably very welcome and much deserved
    LMS 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20, playlists and LMS cache on a USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.20beta7/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5 (study)
    Rasberry Pi 2/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system (garage)
    1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x Touch (used for display and controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare) - 1 x Radio (spare)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Isn't there a yearly license fee for Max2Play?

PiCore Player is free, however a donation is probably very welcome and much deserved
    No, the main Max2Play distro is free. There is some premium features for a price but I didn't need those and was quite happy with the free package.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers

Thanks all for help Especially Apesbrain , those instructions really help.I know its not really difficult, but when its all new it is..I get that I dont need a monitor now and a SD/USB adapter/reader Gets the OS on the pi (that may be obvious to most of you-but not me!)

Just got a book(remember them?) From the Library.A Kind of "Pi's for Dummies" one.It gives a good overview-But not really interested in Gaming, Coding or Learning how much Electric a Lemon Produces. Just want to get My SBT up and Singing!

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    I get that I dont need a monitor now and a SD/USB adapter/reader Gets the OS on the pi (that may be obvious to most of you-but not me!)
    Yes, I have set up 6 Pis by now, all headless (without display). Haven't needed a SD reader as my laptop already has a SD slot.

Just got a book(remember them?) From the Library.A Kind of "Pi's for Dummies" one.It gives a good overview-But not really interested in Gaming, Coding or Learning how much Electric a Lemon Produces. Just want to get My SBT up and Singing!
    Unfortunately pretty much any Pi book will be mostly about stuff that is not needed for just running LMS.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Thanks all for help Especially Apesbrain , those instructions really help.I know its not really difficult, but when its all new it is..I get that I dont need a monitor now and a SD/USB adapter/reader Gets the OS on the pi (that may be obvious to most of you-but not me!)

hi daleyb,

The piCorePlayer Online HELP! should give you the basic information needed.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/..._started.shtml

Once piCorePlayer is loaded, you can then install LMS via the [LMS] page. You will prompted to resize your SD card.

As mentioned earlier, piCorePlayer uses piCore OS and does not need Raspbian OS.

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Yes, I have set up 6 Pis by now, all headless (without display). Haven't needed a SD reader as my laptop already has a SD slot.

Unfortunately pretty much any Pi book will be mostly about stuff that is not needed for just running LMS.
    6 PIs ...Jeez you must be the Pi king ! Mind you It just Clicked that I can Get A HDMI to DVI adapter to my Monitor (So the books not been totally useless..) So I dont have to be totally "headless"...Not that I will ever use that.
    Correct.Making a Drum Kit out of Fruit,Having a Automated Pet feeder....Some folk really need to get more...
    Last edited by daleyb; 2017-04-21 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi daleyb,

The piCorePlayer Online HELP! should give you the basic information needed.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/..._started.shtml

Once piCorePlayer is loaded, you can then install LMS via the [LMS] page. You will prompted to resize your SD card.

As mentioned earlier, piCorePlayer uses piCore OS and does not need Raspbian OS.

regards
    Greg
    Thanks For the Info Greg...The Jurys out to Picore or Max2play. Maybe I should take a step back and get My Pi First.Hopefully I can Decide before my Pi arrives..

One thing that I did read is that if your using an external HD (With no power supply) I will need a USB power HUB
    Adaptor (Due to the low level of the Pis USB Input).. Is this correct..?

I just want to get all parts at once and not forget / need anything..

6 PIs ...Jeez you must be the Pi king!
    Not really, just a big (or at least complicated) house requiring a lot of distributed computer power.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

One thing that I did read is that if your using an external HD (With no power supply) I will need a USB power HUB
    Adaptor (Due to the low level of the Pis USB Input).. Is this correct..?
    Yes, this is a good idea. Or, buy a powered drive. They're getting hard to find, but here's one:
    Amazon: Seagate Expansion 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA2000400)