Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ras Pi Noobie starter help...

Hi all

Due to having my P.C. not Scanning my LMS.. and it giving me a push to Finally get my tunes off the H/D From PC. Ive been reading this forum to get to grips with it...Just a few questions. ..On configurations,

so.. I will need the motherboard (of course) and a case. Power supply etc..and probably a Ethernet switch box(my router as only 2 connections(thanks Sky!)
    Will I need monitor? just to set me up n running.Looking at the pi, it only got HDMI.my home PC Monitor is Fairly old and dont support this. mini monitor to just start..? Not that I suppose this will be used much after set up.

16GB sd card. I notice from the pi hut shop these can installed with Noobs software.Talking of the pihut Whats the best place to buy one...avoiding a fake, of course. Around £50 Bundle..maybe..?

Pi Core player VS. max2play.... Are there any ad/Disadvantages...? (by the forums on here Iam swayed by Pi core)

If Iam adding a External hard drive 24/7 on. I can take they dont run hot and my HD will just sit idle till its asked to play via server.My HD has no Power supply does that matter..?

Iam taking it LMS runs on the Pi..On SD CARD .Which version of LMS Do I run on the pi..?

So I will need to install, noobs, OS,Pi core player LMS. correct. In that order..?

Please forgive my lack of Knowledge .This must be easy to all you Pi Pros out there..

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi all

Due to having my P.C. not Scanning my LMS.. and it giving me a push to Finally get my tunes off the H/D From PC. Ive been reading this forum to get to grips with it...Just a few questions. ..On configurations,

so.. I will need the motherboard (of course) and a case. Power supply etc..and probably a Ethernet switch box(my router as only 2 connections(thanks Sky!)
    Will I need monitor? just to set me up n running.Looking at the pi, it only got HDMI.my home PC Monitor is Fairly old and dont support this. mini monitor to just start..? Not that I suppose this will be used much after set up.

16GB sd card. I notice from the pi hut shop these can installed with Noobs software.Talking of the pihut Whats the best place to buy one...avoiding a fake, of course. Around £50 Bundle..maybe..?

Pi Core player VS. max2play.... Are there any ad/Disadvantages...? (by the forums on here Iam swayed by Pi core)

If Iam adding a External hard drive 24/7 on. I can take they dont run hot and my HD will just sit idle till its asked to play via server.My HD has no Power supply does that matter..?

Iam taking it LMS runs on the Pi..On SD CARD .Which version of LMS Do I run on the pi..?

So I will need to install, noobs, OS,Pi core player LMS. correct. In that order..?

Please forgive my lack of Knowledge .This must be easy to all you Pi Pros out there..
    I get my Pi's from here, http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/...1gb/dp/SC14012 (it's just a few miles away for me )

If you're using a USB powered HD, you'll need a decent power supply: http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/t...-me-pd-mi-acce

If you're using the pi as a player as well as a LMS server, you may wish to fit a decent DAC to the pi, dead simple just plugs into the pi board, no soldering: https://www.hifiberry.com/products/

If you fit a DAC to the pi, you'll need a suitable case.

You don't need Noobs.

Download the piCore image here: https://sites.google.com/site/picore.../home/download

That's enough to get you going.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Thanks for Info. I may of got a bit confused already. I only want my pi really as server to my SBT. so wouldn't of thought I would of needed a DAC. (or do i..?) In that case do I need the pi core player..? Can I just use my Android/app and LMS.?

Thanks for Info. I may of got a bit confused already. I only want my pi really as server to my SBT. so wouldn't of thought I would of needed a DAC. (or do i..?) In that case do I need the pi core player..? Can I just use my Android/app and LMS.?
    No you don't need a DAC if you're not using the pi as a Squeezebox player. The pi has a 3.5mm stereo jack out anyway if you do decide to try it as a player.

piCorePlayer started out as being a lightweight OS to enable the use of a pi as a Squeezebox player, it's grown since the early days, and is now able to run LMS, and it's name is now possibly misleading.

Yes, you can use your Android app, everything is the same as when running LMS on a Windows PC.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Raspberry Pi3/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/piCorePlayer 3.22/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

O.K. so I still need pI O/S PLUS Picore player to Run LMS..?

..and this is all on 16GB sd. Correct..?

O.K. so I still need pI O/S PLUS Picore player to Run LMS..?

..and this is all on 16GB sd. Correct..?
    No, piCorePlayer IS the O/S, that's all you need.

Pi3 uses a microSD, 16GB is plenty
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

I just read that picore player runs via RAM. so only LMS Needed on SD CARD..correct..?

I just read that picore player runs via RAM. so only LMS Needed on SD CARD..correct..?
    Not really, the microsd contains all files needed for the OS + LMS + squeezelite, all of which are loaded into RAM on boot.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Car: BananaPi LMS + Squeezeplayer on Android phone - Controller TBD ...

Yes.

Parts list: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...501#post881501
    Instructions: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...iFiBerry-board

Although the instructions do not cover in detail how to have the RPi run LMS, doing this is as easy as clicking a box once everything else is set up.

Max2Play would be better if you are just running a server. It is a fully loaded Linux OS with a web front end so no monitor needed. Like PiCorePlayer it all resides on the micro SD. Remember you will need a separate USB hard drive for the music.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers