Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PiCorePlayer + FDA Amplifier (Alientek D8)

Hello everyone,

Here is new on this forum, and new user of piCorePlayer (3.11 "normal" version) on RPI3

The entire installation and then the connection to my FDA amplifier (Alientek D8) went very well. The RPI3 natively recognizes the USB XMOS FDA and I control everything very simply via my iPhone.

However, I encounter a small problem: my RPI3 with piCorePlayer is always on, and when I return home at night I connect via IP address to my piCorePlayer without worries, I can play music via my smartphone (iPeng) after Have turned ON the amplifier, but there .... NO sound. I am always forced to reboot my piCorePlayer so that the sound finally comes out of my amplifier.
    I have the impression that the "USB Audio" (Audio ouput) of the Raspberry Pi goes into standby after a few times of non-use (Amplifier off when I don't use it).

Do you have a solution for when I come home in the evening, I only need to turn ON my amp and start a music so that everything works, without having to reboot the piCorePlayer each time?

Thank you in advance

hi Francis-Kabrel,

Sorry to hear about your issue.

It sounds like your USB device falls off after you power it down and it doesn't automatically reconnect when you power it on.

Hmmm... I am not sure what to do but I hope someone can help.

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    It sounds like your USB device falls off after you power it down and it doesn't automatically reconnect when you power it on.
    Thank you for your reply !

Do you think it's possible that the problem comes from the Software? That piCorePlayer automatically turns off the unused USB port?
    (Amazing though my USB stick with music is always active on a USB port despite not being used for a long time).

I have not yet tried with other Open Source solutions, but I'm going to be forced I think to find out where the problem comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis-Kabrel View Post
    Do you think it's possible that the problem comes from the Software? That piCorePlayer automatically turns off the unused USB port?
    The issue comes from the fact you shut off the amp, so the USB device goes away.
    When you start again the amp, the device probably comes back, but it's not the same one (within the OS). Have you tried restarting squeezelite rather than rebooting?
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    The issue comes from the fact you shut off the amp, so the USB device goes away.
    When you start again the amp, the device probably comes back, but it's not the same one (within the OS). Have you tried restarting squeezelite rather than rebooting?
    Hello !
    So I haven't tested restart only Squeezelite, I will test this weekend.

Is there really no way for the USB port to remain active and send the signals automatically when the amplifier restarts?

Is there a place where we can identify the "bugs" to the developers?

Try typing (command line on piCorePlayer)
    squeezelite -l
    do it before poweroff of AMP, while AMP powered down and again when you apply power to amp again.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis-Kabrel View Post
    Hello !
    So I haven't tested restart only Squeezelite, I will test this weekend.

Is there really no way for the USB port to remain active and send the signals automatically when the amplifier restarts?

Is there a place where we can identify the "bugs" to the developers?
    The rpi does not power down its USB port. Everything is active all the time. If your dac is completely powered down, then the kernel will disconnect the USB port and drivers. the device will no longer exist in the system.

Power on/off your amp a few times, wait a few seconds between each toggle, Then look at dmesg, in the diagnostics page....post that info.

Also do what Paul W mentioned.
    Last edited by paul-; 2017-04-14 at 03:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    squeezelite -l
    do it before poweroff of AMP, while AMP powered down and again when you apply power to amp again.
    Thanks for your reply, I try tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    The rpi does not power down its USB port. Everything is active all the time. If your dac is completely powered down, then the kernel will disconnect the USB port and drivers. the device will no longer exist in the system.

Power on/off your amp a few times, wait a few seconds between each toggle, Then look at dmesg, in the diagnostics page....post that info.

Where can I find the diagnostic page? I will post the report "dmesg" as you request.

Thank you !

A very simple solution to this problem maybe: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-31176.../dp/B00F8ZQWN6 or something similar, allowing you to boot up the whole installation in one go. By the time the squeezelite is seeing the audio devices the amp must surely be up and running
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Car: BananaPi LMS + Squeezeplayer on Android phone - Controller TBD ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    squeezelite -l
    Thank you, I'm testing tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post

Where can I find the diagnostic page to provide you with "dmesg"?

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    A very simple solution to this problem maybe: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-31176.../dp/B00F8ZQWN6 or something similar, allowing you to boot up the whole installation in one go. By the time the squeezelite is seeing the audio devices the amp must surely be up and running

Indeed, this would be a solution to be considered