Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning Issues

Scanning Issues

Suddenly when I scan all the way through I can then transfer everything to the box itself.....but if I try to do anything, change or set up anything on the software, like schedule a rescan, the server automatically starts scanning again..in the clear library mode...so everything I've just scanned is lost. Plus I get different things from Web and Control panel. Web seems to be stuck in "clear everything and rescan library but Panel gives me what i need..."look for new and altered material. " Web seems to over ride panel.

This is a painr...I have a huge library ..it takes a day to scan it...but at the moment I can't listen to any od it.

I'm using 7.9.1 now but I had the same issue with 7.6.1 I have restored the box to factory settings...I've uninstalled the software then reinstalled it..nothing seems to help.

When I first got the Touch....ages ago, I had a similar problem and remember I had to change some switch in the advanced settings..don't know if that is what I need to do now or how to do it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Scanning Issues

> Suddenly when I scan all the way through I can then transfer everything
    > to the box itself.

Could you please tell us what "transfer everything" actually means?

> This is a painr...I have a huge library ..it takes a day to scan
    > it...but at the moment I can't listen to any od it.

Could you tell us about your system? OS you're running LMS on, hardware
    specs, library size. And then attach the server.log and scanner.log
    files here.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Suddenly when I scan all the way through I can then transfer everything
    > to the box itself.

Could you please tell us what "transfer everything" actually means?

> This is a painr...I have a huge library ..it takes a day to scan
    > it...but at the moment I can't listen to any od it.

Could you tell us about your system? OS you're running LMS on, hardware
    specs, library size. And then attach the server.log and scanner.log
    files here.

--

Michael
    Transfer everything actually means load the lirbary i9nto the squeezebox....

30000albums, god knows how many tracks, Windows 7. I have 9 outboard drives for the library about half of them 1TB...feeding the Touch through Ethernet (wired) connection. The really curious thing is the mismatch between web browser and Control panel...control panel seems set for "rescan looking for new, etc) but the web is set for clear library and rescan...the web has priority....so no matter what is scanned when the scan automatically starts again, it clears everything that has been done...this then, is an endless loop nightmare.

I'm happy to send the scanner and server logs but not sure how to do it. ??

Thank you

Rad

You'll find the log files in Settings/Advanced/Logging. It's where you can increase the log level to debug for scanner related activity (see the dropdown at the top).
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    You'll find the log files in Settings/Advanced/Logging. It's where you can increase the log level to debug for scanner related activity (see the dropdown at the top).
    Thanks...i never noticed a drop down there before...but I find nothing about debugging...what do I have to click on to find that.

I think I said that when SB first came out I had this problem back when the help line was loaded with knowledgeable people...and I remember chaging a setting under advanced,,a time thing...and after that the software only scanned when I told it to. Any idea what that setting might be?

Thanks

Rad

Notice when you upgrade to 7.9.0 it probably kicked of a rescan due to some necessary changes .
    Did you let it finish or did you press abort ?

Auto rescan is plugin LMS does not do this normally . Do you have this plugin ?
    You can schedule scans to this way.

It may not have finished the rescan after the upgrade ?

You can start a clear and rescan your self and wait untill it's done or untill it chrashes then i supose its time to fetch the log files.
    I think mherger can sugest some good log settIngs for you before you do a fresh rescan .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did check the plug ins and there is one for rescanning automatically but it was not checked. At least the readout is now the same for web and control panel so I can set it to look for new material only. If that holds then every night it will just scan for new stuff I might have added. I have it set to do that at 4 am.

Still no luck

I thought I was OK and the software was set so that it just looked fro changes every morning at 4 am. But no, suddenly it's off starting a scan everytime I make even a tiny change to the library. There has to be a way to stop it. i'm going to look at Grace Digital's Mondo + as a possible replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bennett View Post
    I thought I was OK and the software was set so that it just looked fro changes every morning at 4 am. But no, suddenly it's off starting a scan everytime I make even a tiny change to the library. There has to be a way to stop it. i'm going to look at Grace Digital's Mondo + as a possible replacement.
    Thats another plugin you should not have . I dont remeber it's name but there is a plugin that makes automatic scan on file changes .

Or did you change something in the setup like how compilations should be gruoped or something . I change like that forces a rescan .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Thats another plugin you should not have . I dont remeber it's name but there is a plugin that makes automatic scan on file changes .

Or did you change something in the setup like how compilations should be gruoped or something . I change like that forces a rescan .

I'll go through the list again...but I thought I caught the specific one that does that. Now, when I add titles to iTunes it causes a rescan. I'm surely going to check out the Mondo + when it comes in for review.

Is there a setting NOT in the plug ins that could be doing this?