Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Another Bit Perfect question

I have an older DAC with no USB and no volume option.

SBT (NOT set max/100% volume) is connected via coaxial to my DAC, and my DAC's analog output is connected to my amp's input. Do I have bit perfect setup this way?

If above is no, then I need a preamp to be able to get bit perfect.

If I have a preamp;

SBT (SET at max/100% volume) is connected via coaxial to my DAC, my DAC's analog output is connected to my preamp's analog input, and preamp's output is connected to my amp. Now, I have bit perfect set up?

I am correct?

"yes"

it only at 100% volume you got a bitperfect output .

But SBT's volume control is operating at 24 bits . As an SBT always outputs 24bit (even with a 16bit signal aka CD )

You can get analogue attenuators to put on the poweramps input , if you use the SBT at reasonably high volume settings the loss of SQ in not using the DAC at max volume may very well offset the loss of connecting a preamp .
    Ie the digital volume controll could be better than the analougue one .

There are many users who skipped the preamp , but good gain staging is important so that you dont max out at 2% volume
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

OK, I am going to ask a totally different question.

If I have a separate DAC connected to SBT, why do I need the SBT? Shouldn't I just sell the SBT and get a Raspberry Pi/HifiBerry to stream from there instead?

Does SBT still excel vs. other options even if used with a separate DAC?

BTW, I am leaning towards getting a passive preamp. My DAC's output level is 3V.

Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    If I have a separate DAC connected to SBT, why do I need the SBT? Shouldn't I just sell the SBT and get a Raspberry Pi/HifiBerry to stream from there instead?
    Sure, but... If you already have a SBT, why get a Rpi? The result will be the same.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Sure, but... If you already have a SBT, why get a Rpi? The result will be the same.
    OK got it. I actually meant does it really matter if using it only as a streamer. No, I have no plans to sell unless I want to put some change in my pocket. However, it is not worth the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post
    OK got it. I actually meant does it really matter if using it only as a streamer. No, I have no plans to sell unless I want to put some change in my pocket. However, it is not worth the difference.
    If used purely as streamer, the SBT and a RPi will do the same job, just as well - but with the SBt you get a touch display and user interface (yes, you can add those to a RPi, but price difference to SBT becomes minimal).
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

On topic it can sometimes be a point to keep it bitperfect HDCD if your DAC handles that or DTS or AC3 coded WAV or FLAC inot a HT reciever or if your just prefer to do all processing later in the chain
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

And in my experience genuine SB hardware is much better at achieving good sync than the software solutions.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

I had heard that If you keep the sbt 's volume at >60% it will pass a full 16bit word. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
    I had heard that If you keep the sbt 's volume at >60% it will pass a full 16bit word. Is this correct?
    No. Any volume adjustment will affect the bits (as the data has to be scaled). Using primitive, non-dithered scaling, the upper bits only stay unchanged when the attenuation is an exact power of 2.