Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New AV Receiver Suggestions

Hi,

I am looking for a new AV Receiver. I see that some of them support receiving streaming services directly. Would I be able to stream music from my LMS Server (Synology hosted) directly to one of these receivers without using a squeezebox?

Thanks,
    John

Almost certainly.
    You could connect to stream.mp3 on LMS and the receiver would see it like a SHOUTcast internet radio stream - or you could treat LMS at a UPnP-AV source.

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for a new AV Receiver. I see that some of them support receiving streaming services directly. Would I be able to stream music from my LMS Server (Synology hosted) directly to one of these receivers without using a squeezebox?

Thanks,
    John
    If you still want to use LMS/iPeng/XXXX as the controler center and if that AV receiver supports UPnP/DLNA or AirPlay (a lot do) you can also use them as if they were a real SB by using one of my plugins UPnP/DLNA Bridge or Airplay Bridge. AirPlay give you the benefit of synchronization with other SB and is very close to look like a full SB but audio from LMS is limited to 44.1/16kHz. UPnP/DLNA goes up to whatever are the capabilities of the AV receiver, but there is no synchronization and UPnP/DLNA can be much more temperamental devices.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    If you still want to use LMS/iPeng/XXXX as the controler center
    What are my other choices to use as a control center?

Dont use LMS there are plenty DLNA servers avaible . But they are usually not as good as LMS .

Google i dont think we can mention every such aplication in existence , there migth be one rigth there in your NAS already
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Maybe I'm a bit confused with your question. There are 2 different things you might be trying to do

1- Keep LMS as your music center, using its plugins etc ...

You can then control music selection & playback using either the webUI or iPeng (IoS) or OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer/SqueezeCommander (Android) or SqueezeRemote/SqueezeControl/Soundicity(Windows). I've personally only used iPeng, SqueezeCommander and a bit Soundicity). If this is what you want, using the UPnP/DLNA Bridge or AirPlay Bridge are probably the most convenient integration experience.

2- You don't specially want LMS as your music center

You need a DLNA server (store the music) and a DLNA controller (let you select server/player and select songs/play them). Your AV receiver is the DLNA renderer and it can be a controller as well, although their user interface is usually bad. This is a very different thing you're building then compared to option 1-

If all you want is a DLNA server to access you music, you really don't need LMS. You can use LMS as DLNA server but it's overkill. Your Synology for example can also be a DLNA server. Windows can be, Minimserver as well, foobar2000. There are many control points, I know BubbleUPnP but I've never used it much.

Last point, as Paul said, you can instruct your AV receiver to point to your http://<your_lms_server>:<port>/stream.mp3 which means your receiver will see LMS as a sort of web radio. From LMS's UI, you'll see a new player as well. I just feel it's not a convenient solution, that's why I developped initially UPnPBridge. For example start/stop/pause have a very big lag due to the player's buffering.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2017-03-27 at 10:53.
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You need a DLNA server (store the music) and a DLNA controller (let you select server/player and select songs/play them).

Your Synology for example can also be a DLNA server. Windows can be, Minimserver as well, foobar2000.
    I was sure that I needed some form of server (i.e. DLNA, PLEX, etc.), but I received the following answer from Sony:

Hi NetworkGuy,

There's no specific software needed here. As long as your devices are connected to your home network then you're good to go.

Thanks,
    >Joffrey
    Sony U. MANUFACTURER answered on March 27, 2017

There's no specific software needed here. As long as your devices are connected to your home network then you're good to go.

[/I][/INDENT]
    I find that very difficult to believe. Some where, some how, the Sony AVR/AMP/Receiver needs to know (at absolute minimum) where your music files are located on your network. As well as what format they are in and be able to read meta data/tags and a number of other possible functions....... all absent any server at all?

What Sony model AVR is this Sony rep referring too?

I think what he is saying is that there is no predetermined (i.e. specific) server software required, as long as it is a DLNA server *somewhere* on your network. I do not believe he meant no server needed at all.

I think either the rep misunderstood your question or you are misunderstanding his response.

I was sure that I needed some form of server (i.e. DLNA, PLEX, etc.), but I received the following answer from Sony:

Hi NetworkGuy,

Thanks,
    >Joffrey
    Sony U. MANUFACTURER answered on March 27, 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    I find that very difficult to believe. Some where, some how, the Sony AVR/AMP/Receiver needs to know (at absolute minimum) where your music files are located on your network. As well as what format they are in and be able to read meta data/tags and a number of other possible functions....... all absent any server at all?

What Sony model AVR is this Sony rep referring too?

I think what he is saying is that there is no predetermined (i.e. specific) server software required, as long as it is a DLNA server *somewhere* on your network. I do not believe he meant no server needed at all.

I think either the rep misunderstood your question or you are misunderstanding his response.
    Yes hes assuming a DLNA server , they are ubugtius can be media playr on your windows pc even .
    Unless the AVR actually such software inside and only needs the network drive
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I questioned his response and he changed it to say that you need a DLNA server.