Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NikolajC
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by pinkdot
    I accidentally removed the whole package folder. Restored it again, so please try again. -Martin
    Hm still nothing. Tried both a refresh and re-adding the repo.

Comment

• pinkdot
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by NikolajC
      Hm still nothing. Tried both a refresh and re-adding the repo.
      If, and I assume you are, your DSM version is higher than 6.0-7275, it should show up. If not, this would be a bug in the repo software. I know there are a few of them in there and therefore looking for an alternative.For now you can download the package and install it manually. Make sure to set the Trust Level to 'any publisher' in the package center settings.Greetings,Martin

Comment

• maximus
        • Oct 2010

I am completely new to NAS (416play), have been running my LMS over desktop computers for years.

What are the main differences between the official package (7.7.6) and the ones described here?

7.7.6 has been a complete nightmare, scanning of all albums (.wav - .cue, about 6'000 albums) takes more than half a day, and the software is slow and unresponsive. On my Mac mini completely re-scanning the files took less than 10 minutes. I'm starting to think it was a mistake to have bought the NAS.

Comment

• pinkdot
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by maximus
          I am completely new to NAS (416play), have been running my LMS over desktop computers for years.

What are the main differences between the official package (7.7.6) and the ones described here?
          About 3 years of bug fixing and improving LMS, adding features ...

7.7.6 has been a complete nightmare, scanning of all albums (.wav - .cue, about 6'000 albums) takes more than half a day, and the software is slow and unresponsive. On my Mac mini completely re-scanning the files took less than 10 minutes. I'm starting to think it was a mistake to have bought the NAS.
          You have a great nas. Better totally remove the current 7.7.6 installation and install LmsUpdate. I wouldn't start with LmsRepack if I were you.
          There is a link in my sig pointing at LmsUpdates. Just follow the instructions in the first post of that thread. Its straight forward!

There is another option for you since you have an x86_64 based nas. You can add the repository to your package center and see if LmsRepack is listed in the community tab. This is not always the case however. If it does install from there, but make sure the other installation of LMS is stopped or removed!

Also, make sure you have set the trust level in package center to 'all publishers'! Otherwise you will be prompted with a 'corrupted package' message.

Greetings,

Martin

Comment

• maximus
            • Oct 2010

Thanks so much Martin. I have already added the repo as described here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post880069. However, I see nothing on the Community tab ("All packages have been installed".) Would I have to stop or deinstall the current version of LMS for Repack to show up?

A more general question, how long would it approximately take to completely scan ("clear library and rescan everything") a collection of a couple thousand albums (.wav - .cue) on a device like mine? It is taking about 14 hours, which seems insane to me. Is this only so slow the first time? On the Mac I often rescanned everything (< 10 minutes), because searching only for changed files produced some undesirable results mainly with the album artwork if I remember correctly. Would the Raid level, file system of the drives etc. have a significant effect on this speed?

Comment

• pinkdot
              • Nov 2009

Thanks so much Martin. I have already added the repo as described here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post880069. However, I see nothing on the Community tab ("All packages have been installed".) Would I have to stop or deinstall the current version of LMS for Repack to show up?
              The repo has some bugs here and there, thats why it doesn' t show the package. But as said, you are better of with LmsUpdate at the moment. Just remove 7.7.6 and manually install LmsUpdate. Download the package to your pc and install it using Package Center in DSM.

A more general question, how long would it approximately take to completely scan ("clear library and rescan everything") a collection of a couple thousand albums (.wav - .cue) on a device like mine? It is taking about 14 hours, which seems insane to me. Is this only so slow the first time? On the Mac I often rescanned everything (< 10 minutes), because searching only for changed files produced some undesirable results mainly with the album artwork if I remember correctly. Would the Raid level, file system of the drives etc. have a significant effect on this speed?
              Normally I would say it takes about 5 min per 1000 albums on a nas. 14 hours is not normal. A scannerlog would certainly help to find the culprit.

It is not said that updating from 7.7.6 to 7.9.0 would fix this issue!
              But first things first.

Comment

• maximus
                • Oct 2010

So I enabled Beta in the Package Center and installed 7.9.0-164 from there. LMS was immediately much more responsive, the difference was like day and night. However, a full scan still took over 7 hours. One difference that I noticed though was that on 7.7.6, during the scanning something was constantly writing to my drives, which didn't strike me an unusual until i noticed that 7.9.0 didn't do this at all.

On both versions, it seems to me the scanning starts out fine, 1'000 albums per 5-10 minutes, and then after some 3'000 albums it starts to stall.

I will continue to investigate, meanwhile some questions:

Is v7.9.0-164.1150 a different subversion than the one from the beta channel and what difference could it make if I manually clean installed it?

And I have been studying the scanner logs and comparing it to the ones from the Mac, what would you look for there?

What's really strange to me though, I have no other data and only a few of the other standard packages on my system. I completely restored the NAS to factory once and had the exact same issues before and after. So this leaves only 2 possible culprits notwithstanding hardware issues, either there is something terribly wrong with the compatibility of my NAS and this package, or there is something wrong with my files. Perhaps the Mac somehow messed with the character encoding of my .cue files.

Comment

• pinkdot
                  • Nov 2009

So I enabled Beta in the Package Center and installed 7.9.0-164 from there. LMS was immediately much more responsive, the difference was like day and night. However, a full scan still took over 7 hours. One difference that I noticed though was that on 7.7.6, during the scanning something was constantly writing to my drives, which didn't strike me an unusual until i noticed that 7.9.0 didn't do this at all.On both versions, it seems to me the scanning starts out fine, 1'000 albums per 5-10 minutes, and then after some 3'000 albums it starts to stall.
                  Please upload your scannerlog somewhere so we can take a look. Post the link here. The 5 min per 1000 albums might be a bit to enthusiastic. My library is about 600 albums and it takes about 10 minutes. However, your nas is far more powerful than my DS115.
                  Is v7.9.0-164.1150 a different subversion than the one from the beta channel and what difference could it make if I manually clean installed it?
                  The Synology package is version 7.9.0-164. I added my subversion. This ensures that if Synology would update their package, my version would not block the update. LmsRepack follows the git subversion of Slimdevices.
                  ... either there is something terribly wrong with the compatibility of my NAS and this package,
                  I doubt that, the arch of your nas is arround for some time, and I don't hear others complain.
                  or there is something wrong with my files. Perhaps the Mac somehow messed with the character encoding of my .cue files.
                  That might be the case, yes. Scannerlog please ;-)

Comment

• mherger
                    Babelfish's Best Boy
                    • Apr 2005

Synology 7.9.1 packages

> So I enabled Beta in the Package Center and installed 7.9.0-164 from
                    > there. LMS was immediately much more responsive, the difference was like
                    > day and night. However, a full scan still took over 7 hours. One
                    > difference that I noticed though was that on 7.7.6, during the scanning
                    > something was constantly writing to my drives, which didn't strike me an
                    > unusual until i noticed that 7.9.0 didn't do this at all.

One difference between 7.9 and earlier version is the default value for
                    memory usage of the database. 7.9 tries to use larger buffers by
                    default, depending on your hardware. What CPU and memory do you have?

> On both versions, it seems to me the scanning starts out fine, 1'000
                    > albums per 5-10 minutes, and then after some 3'000 albums it starts to
                    > stall.

If you have more than 1GB of RAM, then you should try to set the DB
                    memory usage to maximum (Settings/Advanced/Performance). The numbers you
                    post are pretty similar to what we found when working on the scanner
                    performance. And using "Maximum" rather than the "High" makes a real
                    difference with collections of 50k or more tracks.

--

Michael
                    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• maximus
                      • Oct 2010

pinkdot: Thanks, but it looks like the issue has been resolved. I uninstalled the package, rebooted my machine and directly installed the beta from the package center. Complete scan now took an hour including 15 minutes of database optimization, so this is approximately what I expected and is perfect. Thank you so much for your help.

Michael: I will look into that.

But first, next issue is to resolve äöü%@ etc. in filenames and .cue sheets ;-)

Edit: Unfortunately my excitement was premature. Clean scan went fine, but scanning for and changed media files has been stuck on database optimization for over an hour now :-/
                      Last edited by maximus; 2017-04-06, 15:12.

Comment

• pinkdot
                        • Nov 2009

But first, next issue is to resolve äöü%@ etc. in filenames and .cue sheets ;-)

Edit: Unfortunately my excitement was premature. Clean scan went fine, but scanning for and changed media files has been stuck on database optimization for over an hour now :-/
                        Scanner log please! (Settings, info tab, right at the bottom).

And what version of Lms is installed? If this is the one from Synology, please update this installation using Lmsupdate. That way we know for sure it is up to date and which modifications are in.
                        Last edited by pinkdot; 2017-04-06, 18:45.

Comment

• maximus
                          • Oct 2010

I completely reset my NAS and copied my music collection back to the NAS drives, I wanted a fresh start, didn't wanna have to deal with all the garbage that 7.7.6 did in 16 hours of writing to disks ;-)

I directly installed 7.9.0-164 from the package center, sorry for not taking your advice about the LMSUpdate, I'd rather avoid any kind of manual installation on this machine. (All I want is a version that runs well, so I can move on to actual other functionality of the NAS ;-)

I have done two clean scans so far ("clear library and rescan everything"). First one took 1 hour 25 minutes, second one just over 2 hours. (Shortened) logs are attached.

Some details I observed:

On the first scan, it read "Scanning new audio files (6662)" and on the second scan "Scanning new audio files (13900)". I don't know if this doubling is a result of the first scan or because of some other media software on the NAS, I have my files in the 'regular' music folder.

On the second scan, building a full text index took 37 minutes and database optimization another 30 minutes, seems a bit excessive to me.

Thanks for your help, I'm probably gonna stick with this version for the time being, unless "look for new and changed media files" craps up again.

scanner.logscanner 2.log

Comment

• maximus
                            • Oct 2010

To follow up, ran a "Look for new and changed media files" scan now with a couple hundred new files. This took just over an hour. 'Building full text index (3 of 7)' and database optimize (1 of 2) each took almost half an hour, processes that take a mere seconds on my Mac so there's obviously something horribly wrong with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 7.22.08 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1562389

Here is the log but there will be nothing of any interest I'm afraid.

scanner.log

Cheers

Comment

• maximus
                              • Oct 2010

One last update: After the last scan clearly reported having finished in the 'Information' - 'Media Scan Detail' section of the settings, suddenly it restarted scanning again, doing pre-caching Artwork at snail's pace for about 15 minutes. This software is apparently a complete lottery. The log is unchanged, here is a screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 8.13.32 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1562391

(Just to avoid confusion, the screenshot in the previous post was taken during scanning, I know that it wasn't finished then.)

Comment

• pinkdot
                                • Nov 2009

One last update: After the last scan clearly reported having finished in the 'Information' - 'Media Scan Detail' section of the settings, suddenly it restarted scanning again, doing pre-caching Artwork at snail's pace for about 15 minutes.
                                Looks like the scan of the playlists triggers another scan. Empty the playlist entry in the basic settings and run another full scan. See if the data base optimallisation runs normally.

Comment

Working...