Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I don't think renaming the file will help as I believe version number is in the firmware itself.

You can enable logging of firmware update using player.firmware setting.

Edit the squeezebox2.version file to tell LMS what version of firmware to install in the player.

edit:
    Remember some version of LMS are incompatible with some versions of firmware so if problems arise you may have to install an old version of LMS to get the player working again ( I think this will not apply to last few version of firmware but IIRC scrolling and maybe mysqueezbox.com access were changed around these versions).
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-04-06 at 04:39.

Instead of replacing firmware versions in the LMS install folders, can I manually force a firmware update on the SB3 directly or must I use the LMS to make the update?

Where can I download older versions on the LMS software?

If I connect the SB3 to an older LMS, which will have older firmware files associated, can I expect that the firmware will automatically be rolled back from 137 to the firmware version of the older LMS?

Would I need to do a reset to factory defaults and then connect to the older LMS to get the firmware update to the older version to happen?

Thanks.

I doubt if different version of firmware is a productive line of enquiry. I would go back to first principles and review the whole issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mushupork View Post
    Instead of replacing firmware versions in the LMS install folders, can I manually force a firmware update on the SB3 directly or must I use the LMS to make the update?
    You must let LMS to do the update. You can force a version using the ".version" files in the firmware directory.

Where can I download older versions on the LMS software?
    Normally from the slimdevices downloads directory ( http://downloads.slimdevices.com/) or for in between code changes the github repository. https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver

If I connect the SB3 to an older LMS, which will have older firmware files associated, can I expect that the firmware will automatically be rolled back from 137 to the firmware version of the older LMS?
    Yes but only if the 137 is indicated (i.e. according to the .version file) not to be compaitble with the older version of LMS.

Would I need to do a reset to factory defaults and then connect to the older LMS to get the firmware update to the older version to happen?
    I haven't done it for ages - but it only needed to change LMS server from the SB player firmware menu (v. old version of LMS may not be compaitble to switch player from web pages) .

"I doubt if different version of firmware is a productive line of enquiry. I would go back to first principles and review the whole issue."

bpa: what other line of testing would you suggest? I have tried everything that has been suggested so far and included a detailed summary and process.

For what it is worth I did install Squeezebox server 7.5.1 (LMS) on my secondary PC. I then connected 2 SB3's to the new instance LMS.

Both SB3's automatically have their firmware set to 130 when they are connected. No manual intervention is required.

I synchronized playback on a single music file and then A/B'd the sound. I have the same results as before. When both SB3's have their output volume set to 50, the Logitech branded one is significant softer. Increasing the Logitech branded one to 80 makes it so that perceived output volume is the same between units.

The audio quality seems identical once volume is balanced. So again, if this were a standalone machine it would be perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mushupork View Post
    For what it is worth I did install Squeezebox server 7.5.1 (LMS) on my secondary PC. I then connected 2 SB3's to the new instance LMS.

Both SB3's automatically have their firmware set to 130 when they are connected. No manual intervention is required.

I synchronized playback on a single music file and then A/B'd the sound. I have the same results as before. When both SB3's have their output volume set to 50, the Logitech branded one is significant softer. Increasing the Logitech branded one to 80 makes it so that perceived output volume is the same between units.

The audio quality seems identical once volume is balanced. So again, if this were a standalone machine it would be perfectly fine.
    How are they at 100%
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

same as before - volume difference but no way to equalize since they are maxed out and fixed at 100%.

I believe the difference is due to hardware. AFAIK the design and basic component specification of the SB3 didn't change between Slimdevices and Logitech - the production line did change. IIRC When Logitech took over, the SB3 production line was moved to a Logitech facility and there was a change component sourcing to use Logitech supply chain.

Different production lines will also imply different QC and also different aging behaviour.

The only way to be sure is to open the players up and compare.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I believe the difference is due to hardware. AFAIK the design and basic component specification of the SB3 didn't change between Slimdevices and Logitech - the production line did change. IIRC When Logitech took over, the SB3 production line was moved to a Logitech facility and there was a change component sourcing to use Logitech supply chain.

Different production lines will also imply different QC and also different aging behaviour.

The only way to be sure is to open the players up and compare.
    The strange part is that the difference is also there on the digital out at 100% volume.
    Which is really not possible.

Therefore , did OP really comected the diffrent players to the exact same input ? Not just the same dac or ht amp ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    The strange part is that the difference is also there on the digital out at 100% volume.
    Which is really not possible.

Therefore , did OP really comected the diffrent players to the exact same input ? Not just the same dac or ht amp ?
    Whenever I see a problem which seems to be unbelievable - I always go back to basics: reevaluate measurement and make the test as simple as possible.

- Measurement method - if DAC output are really different at all rates then it should be possible to buy a cheap spdif input and capture digital output. This would prove if there is difference but not explain why ? If they are the same then it does not explain why OP hears a difference.

If there is no difference - why is OP able to hear a difference - is the method flawed in some way ? For example,
    - Streams should be sent to player as PCM - avoid any extra processing in player.
    - Check players pref settings in pref file - make sure no "hidden" differences - just to be sure.
    - log & check slimproto message (e.g. AUDG message) for players and compare to ensure all settings and gain are identical.