Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mushupork View Post
    Next I compared against optical out on Logitech branded to an outboard DAC
    = Logitech still a lot softer
    Do you by any chance have hardware that can decode DTS and access to any DTS files? I'm curious if any or all of the players would have trouble passing the signal.

DTS and AC-3 are my quick and dirty tests for signal path purity and bitpefectitudiness because anything altering the signal along the way will make those streams produce only noise. It already seems pretty clear that something is altering the output, but I'd still try it just out of curiosity.

I have no surround sound gear - sorry

I imagine I could download the file you linked, replace the existing 137 file in the LMS folder, restart the Classic and any firmware update would use this new file version. But if the player already is running 137, no update would happen, right? I would need to "wipe" the existing player firmware somehow. Would the hardware reset wipe that, then the server would see the Classic is not current and force down the update?
    Ok, I'm a little rusty on the old SB3/Classic but what I'd do is download a "fresh" firmware from the link I provided above, put it in the appropriate folder on your server, and tell the SB3/Classic to manually update its firmware. This is in the menus somewhere I think. Again, I no longer have an SB3/Classic set up so I can't confirm. The point of this is to write over any alterations in the problem firmware with a "clean" one.

In addition, this would affect all players not just the problem one. How do I deploy the bin file to the specific Classic only?
    You are only manually updating the problem unit. The other unit should see the firmware as the same version as it already has and do nothing.

Risk of bricking this is minimal?
    Well, risk is minimal but non-zero.

ok - i wil try this when I get home from work.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the firmware, renamed the old firmware, and moved the fresh copy to the same directory.

I then restarted the "problem" Classic while holding the ADD button to initiate a hardware reset to flash a new copy of the firmware.

Afterward I have the same issue - the sound output is still significantly lower than the other Classics I have.

Any other suggestions?

Since I am flashing from 137 to 137 Is there any way for me to KNOW the firmware was updated? Log file etc.? All I can see in the LMS is the version it ius currently at not when it was updated or reflashed.

If not, could I get version 134 from http://update-origin.slimdevices.com...irmware/7.5.6/ , then replace the firmware in my LMS directory, do the same update, confirm I downgraded from 137 to version 134 then do the procedure again to go to 137 with the fresh version so I can KNOW the update happened as desired?

Since I am flashing from 137 to 137 Is there any way for me to KNOW the firmware was updated? Log file etc.? All I can see in the LMS is the version it ius currently at not when it was updated or reflashed.

If not, could I get version 134 from http://update-origin.slimdevices.com...irmware/7.5.6/ , then replace the firmware in my LMS directory, do the same update, confirm I downgraded from 137 to version 134 then do the procedure again to go to 137 with the fresh version so I can KNOW the update happened as desired?
    Yes you can .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

BTW why not try a really old version of the server too , to see if some setting is broken .
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Tried to go back to version 134 but it is not working. I renamed the 137 file and placed the 134 file int he same directory. I have tried the factory reset and when that did not work the xilinx reset. When I check the LMS afterward it says the player is still at 137.

What does teh squeezebox client do if it connects to an alternate LMS that is an older version that a previous server? It doesn't change firmware to match every server does it? For example, if U had two servers with different server versions (and different firmware for its clients) if I were to swap back and forth all day between servers the firmware would not get changed every time, right?

Tried to go back to version 134 but it is not working. I renamed the 137 file and placed the 134 file int he same directory. I have tried the factory reset and when that did not work the xilinx reset. When I check the LMS afterward it says the player is still at 137.

What does teh squeezebox client do if it connects to an alternate LMS that is an older version that a previous server? It doesn't change firmware to match every server does it? For example, if U had two servers with different server versions (and different firmware for its clients) if I were to swap back and forth all day between servers the firmware would not get changed every time, right?
    Yes it should do that .

Did you reastart the server ? And the player ? I don't think you should rename the files .

It usually takes a while or an server restart for the players to see the new firmware ..