Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

3 Classics - different output volume levels

I just connected 3 classics to the same amp for the first time and noticed something I did not expect. The output volume is different even when all are set at 50% (the default after reset)

I have a Logitech branded Classic v3 Black Body with Black trim
    I have a Slim Devices branded Classic v3 White Body with Silver Trim
    I have a Slim Devices branded Classic v3 Black Body with Silver Trim

According to what I have found the internal hardware should be the same across all versions - at least no distinction is made on the wiki page title "hardware versions"

I have swapped amp inputs and cables etc but the Logitech branded one in particular is a lot softer when set at the same output volume.

I am wondering if others have seen this or if there is a different setting I may have missed that would affect the volume. I want to synchronize around the house but in rooms that are sometimes close enough that a difference could be noticed ... so I want them the same.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mushupork; 2017-03-24 at 11:55. Reason: corrected sloppy typing/spelling

Do you have replaygain activated on some of the devices ?

Was it not some hardware preMp volume in some SB firmware ? Complete xilinx and factory reset ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I am not familiar with replaygain. "Volume Adjustment" in the menu is set to "No Volume Adjustment"

I did a xilinix and a factory reset just now and the same thing is happening.

I tested again just now and with the two players are synchronized, when I A/B the inputs on the amp the Logitech branded Classic output is more quiet. In order to have them play at the same perceived loudness in the room I have to raise the volume on the Logitech branded Classic about 25 steps. As in that one is at 55 on its output in the software menu while the other Classic has its output set at 30. I also played with the balance on the amp to be sure it wasn't that one of teh channels wasn't playing as loud as the other. The same problem exists when listening to just the Left or Right channels separately.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...et_and_Last_FW
    Last edited by mushupork; 2017-03-28 at 11:22. Reason: sloppy typing fixed

Replygain works by reading tags in the music file. If I have my various Classics synchronized they are playing the same file - so even if replaygain were enabled then they all would play the same file at the same volume, right? Unless I am misunderstanding I don't think that is my issue.

Are there any other suggestions?

There is a built in preamp volume of some sort in the firmware.

I should be under the player settings tab somewhere ( in the LMS web-UI ) for your SB3 a value between 0-63 this is some kind of fixed attenuation .

There is also an attenuation setting for streaming content that could differ in the player settings .

I have my SB3 in box has not been on any of my latest server so I don't even have the prefs file left ?

Are alll the SB3 at the same firmware ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I have two Classics connected right now.
    One is the Logitech branded one and the Other is a Slim Devices branded one.

Firmware is 137 for both.

I just checked the LMS web interface and both have the same settings
    Under Player > Basic Settings > Audio >
    "Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain" is set to "No Volume Adjustment"
    "Preamp Volume Control" is set to 0