Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Chord DAC(mojo or maybe hugo) + SBT

Hi long time user of the wonderful sbt here: i am toying with the idea of trying to improve my setup maybe with a streamer(Cambridge 851N)but as i love the sbt user interface i am so much more tempted to get a good chord DAC, i have used the sbt before through micromega and nuforce DAC combinations but did not feel they improved things.

Has anyone gone down the Chord path and had any good improved results?

thanks
    j

The DAC in the SBT is pretty good, so any improvement from an external DAC will be relatively minor.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

But the difference is there. I tried the Hugo out and it's pretty lovely sounding. Fortunately it does sound like a genuine improvement over the SBT own analogue output. I say "fortunately" because it's rather expensive.

I didn't keep it, however, as i felt it lacked bass solidity compared to some other choices on the market. I bought a Mytek instead which is a good blend of the two, imho.

The SBT sounds a little disappointing by comparison, though return on investment is very small in this market..
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

is it the mytek brooklyn you are suggesting? may be outside my budget

No, i got the Mytek dsd 192 for a good price. They may still have a few in the Mytek online shop.

But i would say they aim at different markets. The chord was excellent in some respects, but for me i like drive and rhythm so a good solid bass is important, and it's just not quite as good there.

I was just using spdif. I've tried USB via the EDO output on SBT but it won't run without pops and clicks so i gave up and went back to spdif.
    Last edited by drmatt; 2017-03-19 at 07:16.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0

I guess this should go in the "audiophile" section.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Because it's got nothing to do with a squeezebox touch, per se, i would agree with you.
    --