Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I would be very careful with such statements.
    I've listed a couple of live performances in my response above. I use those because they are very well recorded. I never heard those particular songs live myself but I know how the CD sounds. So, I'm not "comparing them" to the actual live performance.
    To me it is all about the recording quality. And in that regards, I would never exclude live performances (if they are well recorded).

On another note, some people are referring to good recordings when they aren't dynamically compressed (too much).
    To me that is only one aspect of "the well recorded" album or track. In my opinion there are other parameters to take into account before I stick my "good recorded label" on a CD or track. How the recording as been mixed, how the different vocals and instruments have been EQ'ed, etc. In a previous life I've mixed quite some PA sessions and that's probably why I'm looking for those things as well.
    I've just out for that one should use some records with a foot in reality .
    There is nothing wrong with the rest of the selection of well recorded recordings with good dynamics and wide frequency content et al. They surely gives the speaker some excercise.
    Compare speakers by how others speakers sound can quickly get confusing similar to http://seanolive.blogspot.se/2009/10...confusion.html

Btw , my comment about complex and slightly loud music it has a meaning even if you normally listen quieter .
    Power compression sets in early in some speakers it will affect everything especially dynamic music when the avarage level is low but peaks could be higher. Or if it has really low or complex bass passages .

It's not easy to,pick speakers one gets used to how ones current pair sounds over time in the room.
    Try to move and your in for a fun surprise it's not the same the first couple of days .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I would like to add this one to the list:

Beverly Jo Scott - Honey & Hurricanes

Berverly is an American singer who lives in Belgium. She had scored a hit in the beginning of the nighties with Hey Nanna. The album is very well recorded. I really like the way the drum kit is mixed on this album.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon