Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Use Squeezebox software, or UE?

I hadn't logged into the MySqueezebox.com site in a while, and the home screen on their site has two huge boxes pushing Squeezebox users to update their radios to run UE software (Gee, I think they want people to move to UE). I see there are threads on the forums about going back to Squeezebox from UE, so I'll ask - is it really a good idea to run UE instead of Squeezebox, or should I avoid it? The only real problems I've had with mine (version 7.7.3) are related to reliability of the alarms. I used to occasionally lose network connectivity (it's on a wired connection, connected to a Gigabit switch, and all the wired LAN in my house is Gigabit), but I haven't had that problem in quite some time.

I've never really been what I'd call a power user - I inherited the radio from my late brother a few years ago, and I've set presets to listen to radio, and used it as an alarm clock, but not a whole lot else.

You will find no advantage in switching to UE for internet radio/alarms. Why aren't you running Logitech Media Server to play your local music? Rip some CDs and give it a try. LMS 7.9 was just released and it is a great update:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ver-7-9-is-out!

BTW, Logitech isn't really pushing anyone to do anything with regard to Squeezbox these days. They discontinued the product line several years ago.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-03-15 at 09:02.

UE is very badly supported and very hastily developed and discontinued long ago.
    Stay with Squeezebox, if you want to update, go to LMS 7.9
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    UE is very badly supported and very hastily developed and discontinued long ago.
    Amen , a testament to that is that they haven't even bothered to remove the advertisement for the "upgrade" on mysqueezebox.com even if they know it's a failure...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Thanks for the tip on LMS 7.9, and UE. I have LMS 7.7.5 (from 2014) installed on a desktop, and when I look on the Advanced tab, the "Install update" button is greyed out, and the message, "There's no updated Logitech Media Server version available." is below that. I'll stay away from UE.

Use Squeezebox software, or UE?

There's a whole thread about the 7.9 update on this forum. From this week.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by sparkinstx View Post
    Thanks for the tip on LMS 7.9, and UE. I have LMS 7.7.5 (from 2014) installed on a desktop, and when I look on the Advanced tab, the "Install update" button is greyed out, and the message, "There's no updated Logitech Media Server version available." is below that. I'll stay away from UE.
    I upgraded LMS from 7.7.5 to 7.9.0. I had to uninstall 7.7.5, because it wouldn't replace the tray app until I did.