Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,632

    HIGHRESAUDIO to stop offering MQA

    So as the article says, is the honeymoon over for MQA?

    http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hig...8f8f-162614149

    First PonoMusic and now this. Hey all my objectivitist (sp?) friends it looks like we are starting to make some headway against the subjectivitists.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,112
    I don't think you should take everything they claim to serious. Even now i still see ECM MQA sold at their store. It may simply be something like the licencing for them makes the profit per sold unit unattractive. Once this is sorted they will tell you how good it is.
    Also i never saw them distancing from selling UMGs watermarked "lossless" studio masters. Funny if you imagine UMGs MQA may still have this watermark in
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

  3. #3
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I don't think you should take everything they claim to serious. Even now i still see ECM MQA sold at their store. It may simply be something like the licencing for them makes the profit per sold unit unattractive. Once this is sorted they will tell you how good it is.
    Also i never saw them distancing from selling UMGs watermarked "lossless" studio masters. Funny if you imagine UMGs MQA may still have this watermark in
    Everything you said may indeed prove true but of the time being we get to enjoy a small victory.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,112
    Ops, totaly forgot to make fun out of the pono promise.
    For all that don't know this FANpage enjoy http://www.ponosucks.com
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    297

    PONOsucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Ops, totaly forgot to make fun out of the pono promise.
    For all that don't know this FANpage enjoy http://www.ponosucks.com
    Thanks for the link on that Wombat!

    Gave me a good laugh while I was waiting for my painkillers to kick in...

    Ok, it did hurt a bit to laugh, but it was worth it

    Dave

  6. #6
    Senior Member Archimago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,085
    Indeed Wombat, thanks for the links and the laughs... I still have my black Pono sitting on my shelf for the memories.

    I don't know if this is a victory whether Pono or Highresaudio not selling MQA for objectivists per se. I hope it is a victory for consumers being educated about bullshit and voting with their wallets. That's how capitalism should work. If the Emperor has no clothes, he should be called out on it. Apparently Neil was surfing with his shorts down as the tide went out .

    Anyone know if Neil has made any official statement BtW?
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    904
    Cor, using intellect without spite? Bring it on!
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

  8. #8
    Senior Member Archimago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Cor, using intellect without spite? Bring it on!
    Absolutely! No need to have "a desire to hurt, annoy, or offend someone".

    Some people will be hurt or upset no matter what anyone says but there's no need for arguments to go that direction. We don't need to hold a position where that is a desired outcome nor catalyze that.

    Like I said, I think the subjectivist position has been weakened substantially over the years. Many subjectivists are reasonable folks who I believe will acknowledge the limitations of positions the "mainstream" audiophile writers take and will appreciate when examples are shown to demonstrate the fallacies.

    Now as for the comments expressed so far about politics and the anti-science political party. I actually don't worry about it and personally don't mind. Truth and change comes when there are challenges placed before humanity. An anti-science position, so long as the regime does not turn into some kind of fascist rule (which IMO it won't) provides an opportunity to find reason. Otherwise if everyone agrees it ends up being one of complacency... Did audiophilia become any more rational, or did radical creationists weaken over the 8 years of Obama's presidency? :-)

    To get back on topic. Look at MQA now. They're digging the bottom of the barrel in introducing MQA CD's. As I expressed in my blog post this week, I see this as weakness. Their return on investment I suspect is looking rather poor with 1st quarter 2017 in the books. Who knows, maybe TIDAL had a small increase in sign-ups with the introduction of MQA in January; but I'd be surprised they're seeing the benefits in the bottom line. Let's see if they dare introduce another increase in fee for a "Master" audio streaming tier! Remember, MQA streaming does require 30% higher bandwidth and storage compared to FLAC lossless.

    Bit by bit, the "sacred cows" of subjective audiophilia can be exposed for what they are. With the power of the Internet at everyone's disposal, the traditional media is in decline and it's not hard to have a "rational audiophile" voice be heard these days. All in good time :-).
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Many subjectivists are reasonable folks who I believe will acknowledge the limitations of positions the "mainstream" audiophile writers take and will appreciate when examples are shown to demonstrate the fallacies.
    Whenever I start thinking that I just have a quick look over at CA...
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  10. #10
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    ....
    Now as for the comments expressed so far about politics and the anti-science political party. I actually don't worry about it and personally don't mind. Truth and change comes when there are challenges placed before humanity. An anti-science position, so long as the regime does not turn into some kind of fascist rule (which IMO it won't) provides an opportunity to find reason. Otherwise if everyone agrees it ends up being one of complacency... Did audiophilia become any more rational, or did radical creationists weaken over the 8 years of Obama's presidency? :-)
    ...
    The whole reason behind sounding the climate change alarm is to try and mitigate the harmful effects of those changes before they become irreversible. Oh sure once the effects of climate change become undeniable to even the most diehard climate change denier "truth and change" will come however the earth doesn't have time to wait around for that moment of truth to appear.

    Denying science when it comes to audio is just not the same as denying science when it comes the health and well being of the human species.

    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Whenever I start thinking that I just have a quick look over at CA...
    How true, how true.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •