Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

HIGHRESAUDIO to stop offering MQA

So as the article says, is the honeymoon over for MQA?

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hig...8f8f-162614149

First PonoMusic and now this. Hey all my objectivitist (sp?) friends it looks like we are starting to make some headway against the subjectivitists.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

I don't think you should take everything they claim to serious. Even now i still see ECM MQA sold at their store. It may simply be something like the licencing for them makes the profit per sold unit unattractive. Once this is sorted they will tell you how good it is.
    Also i never saw them distancing from selling UMGs watermarked "lossless" studio masters. Funny if you imagine UMGs MQA may still have this watermark in
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I don't think you should take everything they claim to serious. Even now i still see ECM MQA sold at their store. It may simply be something like the licencing for them makes the profit per sold unit unattractive. Once this is sorted they will tell you how good it is.
    Also i never saw them distancing from selling UMGs watermarked "lossless" studio masters. Funny if you imagine UMGs MQA may still have this watermark in
    Everything you said may indeed prove true but of the time being we get to enjoy a small victory.
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Last.fm

Ops, totaly forgot to make fun out of the pono promise.
    For all that don't know this FANpage enjoy http://www.ponosucks.com
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

PONOsucks

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Ops, totaly forgot to make fun out of the pono promise.
    For all that don't know this FANpage enjoy http://www.ponosucks.com
    Thanks for the link on that Wombat!

Gave me a good laugh while I was waiting for my painkillers to kick in...

Ok, it did hurt a bit to laugh, but it was worth it

Dave

Indeed Wombat, thanks for the links and the laughs... I still have my black Pono sitting on my shelf for the memories.

I don't know if this is a victory whether Pono or Highresaudio not selling MQA for objectivists per se. I hope it is a victory for consumers being educated about bullshit and voting with their wallets. That's how capitalism should work. If the Emperor has no clothes, he should be called out on it. Apparently Neil was surfing with his shorts down as the tide went out .

Anyone know if Neil has made any official statement BtW?
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Indeed Wombat, thanks for the links and the laughs... I still have my black Pono sitting on my shelf for the memories.

I don't know if this is a victory whether Pono or Highresaudio not selling MQA for objectivists per se. I hope it is a victory for consumers being educated about bullshit and voting with their wallets. That's how capitalism should work. If the Emperor has no clothes, he should be called out on it. Apparently Neil was surfing with his shorts down as the tide went out .

Anyone know if Neil has made any official statement BtW?
    I think that your optimism about consumers being educated is just a little bit off after all Beats are still the number one selling headphones and by a very wide margin. I think that it's less about rejecting high resolution audio per se and more about just not needing a media player other than their smart phone (in the case of Pono) in addition to being told that to truly appreciate hi-rez audio they would need better (and more expensive) playback equipment.

That last part comes from the simple fact that when a "high resolution" audio file is played back on their smart phone and Beats headphones they can't hear any difference from their mp3 version and so the industry's answer is to try and sell them something. Doesn't seem to be working just like 3D HDTV didn't work.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    I think that your optimism about consumers being educated is just a little bit off after all Beats are still the number one selling headphones and by a very wide margin. I think that it's less about rejecting high resolution audio per se and more about just not needing a media player other than their smart phone (in the case of Pono) in addition to being told that to truly appreciate hi-rez audio they would need better (and more expensive) playback equipment.

That last part comes from the simple fact that when a "high resolution" audio file is played back on their smart phone and Beats headphones they can't hear any difference from their mp3 version and so the industry's answer is to try and sell them something. Doesn't seem to be working just like 3D HDTV didn't work.
    No need to be so pessimistic Ralph!

I totally understand that the common teenager/young adult music listener isn't necessarily into high fidelity and won't care. Fashion rules in that space. But the ones who do care about fidelity - the ones who might be intrigued by "high resolution" as promoted by Neil Young or would look at product specs to check out MQA - those people can be "reached". Likewise the serious music lover - guys who would wander into Steve Hoffman Forums for example - I know those guys also understand that there is more than a little hype. Finally, I do believe when you look at places like Stereophile and AudioStream website, people are getting more than a little sick of the BS.

When the audiophile magazines see that serious "hi-fi" lovers "get it", they will change.

The predictable death of Pono and likely gradual tarnishing of MQA are useful reminders to audiophiles the ridiculous hype being perpetuated. At some point, I think we reach a point where "faith" is lost and the religion of the "high end" will crumble.

Stay the course, Ralph :-).
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

No need to be so pessimistic Ralph!

I totally understand that the common teenager/young adult music listener isn't necessarily into high fidelity and won't care. Fashion rules in that space. But the ones who do care about fidelity - the ones who might be intrigued by "high resolution" as promoted by Neil Young or would look at product specs to check out MQA - those people can be "reached". Likewise the serious music lover - guys who would wander into Steve Hoffman Forums for example - I know those guys also understand that there is more than a little hype. Finally, I do believe when you look at places like Stereophile and AudioStream website, people are getting more than a little sick of the BS.

When the audiophile magazines see that serious "hi-fi" lovers "get it", they will change.

The predictable death of Pono and likely gradual tarnishing of MQA are useful reminders to audiophiles the ridiculous hype being perpetuated. At some point, I think we reach a point where "faith" is lost and the religion of the "high end" will crumble.

Stay the course, Ralph :-).
    I attended Head-fi's CanJam in early February in NYC and headphone enthusiasts tend to be young and are often considered the next generation of audiophiles. Based on what I show and heard at CanJam I would say that both of us are just a little off in our predictions about the coming death of high end audio. CanJam was filled with all the usual audio voodoo, which I'm sad to say was being swallowed many of the attendees. Lots of after market cables, lots of Tidal streaming (with and without MQA), plenty of over priced DACs and amps and of course all kinds of headphones. Perhaps many of the next generation audiophiles will "get it" and reject at least some of the more outlandish high end audio dogma but I'm pretty sure that quite a bit of this nonsense will make it through and continue being believed.
    Last.fm

No need to be so pessimistic]

I'd suggest the converse, based on an analysis of the same evidence plus my own life's experience.

For example, computer audio was relatively free of placebophiles until about 5-7 years ago. Most really serious computer audio hardware were professional tools, and as long as a product category mainly appeals to professionals, a fairly large dollop of pragmatism goes with it. OK, there was a little trickle of regular high end products but it was relatively speaking a trickle.

Now, the influx of snake oil has taken over the computer audio market, and placebo dependent products like magic USB and LAN cables are in their way, mainstream in the computer audiophile market. One other clear symptom of that is the advent of a large market of high-priced earphones and headphones.

In the mid 1970s there was one of the first attempts to add rationality to the audio market by popularizing bias-controlled listening test in the form of ABX Comparators. Starting around year 2000, a particularly effective form of ABX Comparators entirely based on low-cost and no-cost Windows software was brought to the marketplace.

Today, there is no lack of software availability. There are dozens for Windows and Google Play Store shows at least 2 that even run on commodity and high end cell phones. Yet, accounts of their use are like hen's teeth on the web. They are highly convincing, especially when the audiophile uses them to do their own tests. But, people have got to actually use them.