Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Looking to buy genuine Logitech Squeezebox Touch power supply

Hi all!

Just purchased a used Squeezebox Touch on UK eBay advertised as "in excellent condition, with original box & all accessories". Unfortunately the power supply has a fault (sprayed all contacts with electrical contact cleaner twice to no effect). Logitech themselves still have new ones in their parts store, but since they're charging £20 + £9.95 shipping I'm not surprised that they haven't sold out yet!

I've trawled t'interweb & eBay for genuine Logitech Touch power supplies with no hits.

I've contacted the seller and offered him two options: firstly that he refunds me £29.95 to buy the replacement from Logitech; and secondly that I return the complete unit for a full refund including outward & return postage (on the grounds that the goods are not as described). Of course he'll still have a unit without a working power supply, and won't get as much on resale if he buys a third-party unit.

He's adamant that it worked fine at his end (which is ultimately irrelevant) but has immediately offered to refund me £15. I politely declined, but offered to see if anyone who has gone linear PS or, God forbid, suffered Touch failure in the Community might have a surplus genuine Logitech switching power supply delivering 5V 3A through a Ferrite/Choke to a 2.5mm power plug that they would be prepared to sell me, delivered to UK, for less than Logitech's admittedly extortionate price. I'm just a nice guy really, but if this doesn't work & he doesn't divvy-up the £29-95, he's getting the whole package & the problem back. Business is business, after all. Maybe he'll do his sums properly in the meantime!

So, do I have any offers? I'm expecting a substantially lower price than Logitech's since their items are at least new...

Best regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    Hi all!

Just purchased a used Squeezebox Touch on UK eBay advertised as "in excellent condition, with original box & all accessories". Unfortunately the power supply has a fault (sprayed all contacts with electrical contact cleaner twice to no effect). Logitech themselves still have new ones in their parts store, but since they're charging £20 + £9.95 shipping I'm not surprised that they haven't sold out yet!

I've trawled t'interweb & eBay for genuine Logitech Touch power supplies with no hits.

I've contacted the seller and offered him two options: firstly that he refunds me £29.95 to buy the replacement from Logitech; and secondly that I return the complete unit for a full refund including outward & return postage (on the grounds that the goods are not as described). Of course he'll still have a unit without a working power supply, and won't get as much on resale if he buys a third-party unit.

He's adamant that it worked fine at his end (which is ultimately irrelevant) but has immediately offered to refund me £15. I politely declined, but offered to see if anyone who has gone linear PS or, God forbid, suffered Touch failure in the Community might have a surplus genuine Logitech switching power supply delivering 5V 3A through a Ferrite/Choke to a 2.5mm power plug that they would be prepared to sell me, delivered to UK, for less than Logitech's admittedly extortionate price. I'm just a nice guy really, but if this doesn't work & he doesn't divvy-up the £29-95, he's getting the whole package & the problem back. Business is business, after all. Maybe he'll do his sums properly in the meantime!

So, do I have any offers? I'm expecting a substantially lower price than Logitech's since their items are at least new...

Best regards,
    Dave
    I've purchased two of these, one for a Touch and one for a Classic, they are interchangeable and work fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Sq...x+power+supply
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Server - LMS 7.9.1 > Raspberry Pi3/piCorePlayer 3.21/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play>HiFiBerry DIGI+>AudioEngine DAC1>AVI DM5
    Study - RPi 3/piCorePlayer 3.21>HiFiBerry DAC+>CA Minx 5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - Radio
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3

Second-hand value of Squeezebox Touch

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I've purchased two of these, one for a Touch and one for a Classic, they are interchangeable and work fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Sq...x+power+supply
    Hi, thanks for your prompt response.

I'm aware that there are numerous perfectly viable third-party power supply options available.

My problem is that I've paid top-dollar for a boxed Touch with all accessories. I could have got one a lot cheaper without the box & the original accessories. In turn, the resale value is significantly greater if the unit is in all-original condition.

I'm just trying to get back to what I believed I was purchasing in good faith - so I'm afraid only the genuine Logitech power supply will clinch the deal. There are plenty of alternative "as new" Touches listed on eBay all the time, and the price I paid was based on the going rate for them. You lose at least £20 if you don't have the original box! I know it's crazy, but I have to consider the possibility that I might want to sell in the future.

I do appreciate your post nonetheless.

So is there anyone out there with the genuine article for sale??

Best regards,
    Dave

Is my arithmetic wrong?

Thanks to the 50+ folks who've viewed this thread in less than 90 minutes!

Unfortunately, you're all hanging on to your power supplies, and why not?

I can't really understand where my eBay seller is going with this: by the time he's refunded my purchase price, plus £6-60 postage to me & back to him, bought the aforesaid 3rd party power supply, relisted the item and then got probably £20-30 less on his non-original resale, it's pretty obvious he'd be better off biting the bullet & refunding me the £29.95 to get the Logitech replacement...

I'm hoping that if I give him a couple of days he'll work this out for himself. But anyway, I'll persevere here for a while on the off-chance some kind soul will break the deadlock for me & save me the hassle of instigating an eBay return.

Remaining cheerful if not totally optimistic.

Dave

Latest, latest - read all about it

Ok guys, this is the end of the line.

Decided to have one last go at the power cord with my multi-meter. Found 4.8V DC by shoving +ve probe right to the bottom of the hole (but nothing on the sides further up).

Big blast of faithful electrical contact cleaner (man's best friend) followed by some persistent scraping with my probe, and magically 4.8V can now be found two-thirds of the way up the hole. I'm pretty sure the rest is insulation anyway to reduce chance of accidental short-circuit.

Reconnected to Touch and all is sweetness & light! Replacement power cord no longer required...

Thanks again to my reading public - this one's a wrap,
    Dave