Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Best programme to rip CD's to hard drive please

Hi I'm using a mates SBT for the 1st time and enjoying having his extensive music collection to my finger tips on an external hard drive, I'm surprised at the audio quality compared to the rega planet I was using as a transport into my dac.

I'm looking to rip my music collection to the hard drive lossless using AIFF or WAV, I had a go with ITunes yesterday but had some problems with it taking a very long time to rip and also some of the songs were in FLAC and some in AIFF even thou all the setting were correct, I was thinking of using dBpoweramp to rip.

I'm looking for any recommendations for the best program to use that is free?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvpies View Post
    I'm looking for any recommendations for the best program to use that is free?

thanks
    Hi,

if you running a Commodore 64 i didnt have an idea what Program is the best.
    Even the best is always a kind of personal favorites.
    Ripping CDs is/should be a one time job - i am using max 4x Speed Drives to rip my stuff and only 3.5 Drives no Notebook drives - but again thats my own personal taste of honey.

Exact Audio Copy on Windows, XLD on Mac.

dBpoweramp ( not free but its that good ).
    Or EAC as mentioned Exact Audio Copy.

Both of these are secure rippers that also uses the accurip database.
    They can compare checksums of other rips of the same disc and can statistically verify that your rip is bit perfect 100%
    No errors at all.

Metadata handling is more versital in dBp .

Both programs has settings especially EAC if read up on how to do and set them up rigth both do a good jobb.
    dBp is easier to use.
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2017-03-14 at 11:20.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    dBpoweramp ( not free but the its that good ).
    Or EAC as mentioned Exact Audio Copy.

Both of these ate secure rippers that also uses the accurip database.
    They can compare checksums of other rips of the same disc and can statistically verify that your rip is bit perfect 100%
    No errors at all.

Metadata handling is more versital in dBp .

Both programs has settings especially EAC if read up on how to do and set them up rigth both do a good jobb.
    dBp is easier to use.
    I second the dbpoweramp recommendation. I've ripped 1000s of CDs with dbpa. And before you rip to WAV or AIFF, you might do a bit more research. I'd suggest FLAC if you use windows machines or Apple Lossless if you use apple machines. AIFF or WAV can be clunky with metadata, are too large given that FLAC and ALAC are also lossless, and they don't contain built in CRC checksums (as a FLAC file does).

p.s. If you managed to rip a CD to FLAC files while using itunes (as you seem to report in the original post), that's a miracle, as itunes won't read or create FLAC files.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Oh did not see that do yourself a favor rip to a decent format FLAC or ALAC if you must be apple compatible ( but would consider making a lossy aac copy library for my iTunes and still use FLAC )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Sorry for not mentioning in original post, I use windows 7, dBp seems to be recommended by a lot of people on here and wam, thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by luvpies View Post
    Sorry for not mentioning in original post, I use windows 7, dBp seems to be recommended by a lot of people on here and wam, thanks for the advice
    It's a fine solution, but you did say "free".