Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5

    PCP3.11 + Raspberry Pi Zero-W, onboard Wifi not working

    Hi


    I have just tried the new Raspberry Pi Zero-W's onboard Wifi on PCP 3.11. I get a boot message saying:

    Checking wifi... wifi is on.
    ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
    ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
    No wifi devices found!
    ifconfig: wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

    i have tried to blacklist brcmfmac, but no luck..
    Will the Zero's Wifi be supported in future releases?

    best regards
    Kim Olesen

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvania View Post
    Hi


    I have just tried the new Raspberry Pi Zero-W's onboard Wifi on PCP 3.11. I get a boot message saying:

    Checking wifi... wifi is on.
    ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
    ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
    No wifi devices found!
    ifconfig: wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

    i have tried to blacklist brcmfmac, but no luck..
    Will the Zero's Wifi be supported in future releases?

    best regards
    Kim Olesen
    yep, be positive and read here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...er-3-10/page62

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by albertone74 View Post
    Thank you :-) That did it !

    removed these files from sdcard (space needed):
    bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb
    bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb
    bcm2708-rpi-cm.dtb
    bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
    bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
    bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb

    copy files from 2017-03-02-raspbian-jessie-lite to sdcard:
    bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb
    bootcode.bin
    fixup.dat
    fixup_cd.dat
    fixup_x.dat
    start.elf
    start_cd.elf
    start_x.elf

    removed the blacklist=brcmfmac from cmdline.txt and reboot..

    Best regards
    Kim

  4. #4
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    749
    So it does work, that's great. I'm still waiting for my Zero-W to arrive.

    We will update pCP so that it works out of the box soon (hopefully)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvania View Post
    Thank you :-) That did it !

    removed these files from sdcard (space needed):
    bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb
    bcm2708-rpi-b.dtb
    bcm2708-rpi-cm.dtb
    bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
    bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
    bcm2710-rpi-cm3.dtb

    copy files from 2017-03-02-raspbian-jessie-lite to sdcard:
    bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb
    bootcode.bin
    fixup.dat
    fixup_cd.dat
    fixup_x.dat
    start.elf
    start_cd.elf
    start_x.elf

    removed the blacklist=brcmfmac from cmdline.txt and reboot..

    Best regards
    Kim
    That's great! Can you please explain what you meant by

    removed the blacklist=brcmfmac from cmdline.txt
    Reason being I have tried those steps but it didn't work for me.
    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by albertone74 View Post
    That's great! Can you please explain what you meant by



    Reason being I have tried those steps but it didn't work for me.
    Thanks.
    If you used a fresh pCP image, that blacklist line is not there. It was only added if you used an image and disabled the rpi3 wifi.

    You may need to pull the files from a raspbian image that has a 4.4.y kernel. The github is already for 4.9.y

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    If you used a fresh pCP image, that blacklist line is not there. It was only added if you used an image and disabled the rpi3 wifi.

    You may need to pull the files from a raspbian image that has a 4.4.y kernel. The github is already for 4.9.y
    Bingo!!
    That did the trick indeed. When Kim said it worked for him I read again his post and he did say he copied the files from the 2017-03-02-raspbian-jessie-lite. Thanks Paul for pointing that out and thanks to Kim to share his findings.

    All good now

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Hi

    Explanation :-) "removed the blacklist=brcmfmac from cmdline.txt"

    I read somewhere that the driver needed to be blacklisted in the cmdline.txt.. that's it :-)

    just copy bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb, bootcode.bin and all dat/elf files

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Hmm... Not working for me. Just to confirm I have done the following:

    1. Flashed PCP 3.11 to SDCard
    2. Mounted the 'PCP' volume in Ubuntu
    3. Deleted all dtb files from 'PCP'
    4. Copied bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb, bootcode.bin, fixup.dat, fixup_cd.dat, fixup_x.dat, start.elf, start_cd.elf start_x.elf from 2017-03-02-raspbian-jessie-lite.img
    5. Downloaded newconfig.cfg from PCP google.site
    6. Edited newconfig.cfg to turn wifi on, set SSID and password, encryption to WPA
    7. Put newconfig.cfg onto 'PCP' volume
    8. Put SD Card in Pi
    9. Boot Pi - green light illuminates, and stays on
    10. Checked on my router, and no new IPs registered :-(
    11. newconfig.cfg still remains on SDCard - should PCP not remove this on startup?


    Should the above work? Have I missed a step?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Greg Erskine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,173
    hi cpd73,

    "newconfig.cfg" should be deleted or renamed when the RPi boots properly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •