Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

The strange case of IR-Blaster and SB Touch Volume keys...

Hi all,

So I've just set up my SB touch with an IR emitter to control my Yamaha amp. After a bit of head-scratching I got it mostly working - the remote ON button turns the amp on and switches it to the right input, the OFF button turns the amp off and the Volume up key controls the amp volume BUT when I press the Volume down key on the SBT remote it turns the amp volume up not down!

I know what you're thinking - I've selected the wrong command code in the drop down, or the .conf file is wrong, but wait, there's more: When I turn the volume down using the LMS web server, or Squeezer on my phone, the volume on the amp DOES go down as it's supposed to.

Further testing has shown that the Volume up and Volume down buttons on the SBT remote seem to be linked in some way that is confusing IR-Blaster, because if I set the Vol up key to perform another function on my amp (swap the display information for example, or change input), the Vol down key ALSO makes the amp do that, even though in the settings the Vol down key should still be controlling the volume.

When I've used the remote to control the Volume of the SBT directly (i.e. volume NOT locked at 100%), the volume goes up and down as expected, so the IR codes from the remote must be different from each other, otherwise SBT would behave the same. So it seems something is confusing IR-Blaster (but not SBT) into thinking the Vol up and down is the same IR input.

Any thoughts? I was hoping @fcm4711 would be able to help

The strange case of IR-Blaster and SBTouch Volume keys...

Plug out the IR blaster, point the SB remote at your amp and press those
    volume buttons. Maybe they're controlling the amp directly?

I've had a similar case where the amp's volume button would trigger FFWD
    on the DVD player (no IR blaster involved)...

--

Michael

Thanks for the reply mherger.

No nothing happening. SB remote def not controlling amp directly.

What's confusing me most is that if I change the volume down via web or Squeezer app, the volume down command is sent to the amp no problem. It's just that when I press the vol down key on the remote it seems to be registered the same as the vol up key by IR-Blaster.

The way I see it it's either
    a) the remote not sending the correct code or SBT not recognising it (unlikely, as when the remote is used to control the SBT the volume goes up and down fine)
    b) the IR-Blaster program not recognising the input correctly (possible, but in 5 years since the last release, has anyone else come across this?)
    c) IR-Blaster not reacting properly to the input and sending the wrong code (seems this is what's happening in some circumstances, but why?)
    d) IR-Blaster sending what it thinks is the right code, but actually the config file is wrong. This seems the most likely weak point, EXCEPT that when the volume is changed via web app, the amp volume does go down.

Is there any way I can see a log of the inputs that the SBT receives when I use the remote? If I could see what the SBT thought it was being asked to do I could rule it out or troubleshoot it.
    Lounge: SB Touch -> Yamaha YHT1810
    Bedroom: UE radio (reset to SB Radio!)
    Kitchen: SqueezePlayer app on old android phone -> Dell PC speakers

Fixed!

I contacted Felix Mueller, creator of the IR blaster plugin. He was very helpful!

This seems to be unique to the SB touch. There is a setting in IR blaster control called "Fixed Volume" which needs to be set to 100%. This is in addition to setting the Volume control to 100% for the SB Touch itself.

I'm not sure what the Fixed volume setting is supposed to do, or why it creates this behaviour, but I'm glad it is fixed and works now!

Big thank you to Felix Mueller!

Lounge: SB Touch -> Yamaha YHT1810
    Bedroom: UE radio (reset to SB Radio!)
    Kitchen: SqueezePlayer app on old android phone -> Dell PC speakers