Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

titleFormat - for Jive-like players

My understanding is that "Title Format" (titleFormat in Prefs) is only used for SB2/SB3-style players - where the Now Playing text is sent by LMS to the player.
    For Touch/Radio/Jive-style players then the info about the track is sent to the device it is works out what to display where.

I am responding to a request for a change to a plugin where the requester wants the Year and Label to appear.
    I can stuff them on the end of the album name but is this something that would be better done by making the configurable the names of the fields to be presented - like titleFormat.
    Then the Jive player could do what it wants with them ... and "others" could be added into line 4 where available.
    So it could then be
    All You Need Is Love

The Beatles
    Magical Mystery Tour
    1969 / Apple

"Year" is already in titleFormat so it would be a shame to have the plugin attach it to the album name when it can already be configured via titleFormat ... but does not work for Jive players.

Currently - the label (publisher) is not a passed attribute - so this leads to another thought.
    How about all fields that do not start with underscore are passed to the Jive player (or to be safer ... all fields that start with display_) and then unrecognised keywords from titleFormat are compared against the available data rather than being treated as plain text and passed through - again could have special prefix to try to limit unexpected consequences?

Jive doesn't have any typed information, it only passes on text.

That said: I'd love to see such a configuration option, too. There are a lot of people who want to customize the NowPlaying behavior in iPeng and while I don't use the default jive texts I'd love to see this configurable server-side because I definitely don't want to clutter the app with such an option.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Something that works with tagged variables like the ip3k player configuration would be ideal, IMHO
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch