Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

A quick update

Now listening to Neil Young's Pono re-master of Harvest, native 24bit/192kHz but down-sampled by Logitech Media Server to accommodate the Transporter's maximum bit rate of 24/96. It's very clean.

Of course MQA encoding could package this losslessly into 24/96 (or less)...

Just having fun,
    Dave

However the main reason for posting again is to relate that I have just today received a Mytek Brooklyn DAC which I got for a substantial discount bidding in an eBay auction. Just like my dear departed Mum I do love a bargain...
    Well, so much for the Transporter being a bargain.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    Well, so much for the Transporter being a bargain.
    I'm using the Transporter to feed the new DAC. There aren't many digital sources with pro-grade balanced outputs and word clock inputs.

I still think the unused Transporters are a steal at 499.99USD. And there are now only 6 left, so some people presumably agree with me...

All the best,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Earring View Post
    I'm using the Transporter to feed the new DAC. There aren't many digital sources with pro-grade balanced outputs and word clock inputs.
    You do realise that AES balanced digital I/O was just a kludge to enable studios to use their existing stock of XLR cables? The designer of the Transporter (Sean Adams) has stated that the BNC SPDIF output is actually superior. Just a heads up in case you're interested.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Sean Adams wasn't femto back then.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    You do realise that AES balanced digital I/O was just a kludge to enable studios to use their existing stock of XLR cables? The designer of the Transporter (Sean Adams) has stated that the BNC SPDIF output is actually superior. Just a heads up in case you're interested.
    The Mytek has a full range of digital inputs, so I'll get other "cheapo" pro--grade cable from Canford Audio & check this out. Thanks for the tip!

Btw, does anyone know what happened to Sean? I know he used to post on this forum quite often until the Logitech takeover, although I did note that he didn't take many prisoners when refuting b/s...

Best regards,
    Dave

Self identity

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Sean Adams wasn't femto back then.
    I'm not actually sure that I am now - how are you supposed to tell?

Best digital output

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    On reflection, since I'm using the DAC as the master clock, I'm not sure it's actually going to matter which link-up I use, unless you think the AES out is actually going to lose some of the 0's and/or 1's...

Might try it later to test out my "golden ears" - if only it wasn't for the tinnitus, LOL

Just a jest

On reflection, since I'm using the DAC as the master clock, I'm not sure it's actually going to matter which link-up I use, unless you think the AES out is actually going to lose some of the 0's and/or 1's...

Might try it later to test out my "golden ears" - if only it wasn't for the tinnitus, LOL
    I'm not actually a Golden Earring fan, just for the sake of clarity, but I've been waiting for an opportunity to make the "golden ears" plus tinnitus gag since I chose my forum name. It's not intended to disrespect anyone who actually has tinnitus which I realise is a serious and debilitating medical condition, it's a dig at those folk who claim to have those "golden ears" which enable them to hear things mere mortals can't: I'm 62, I don't have them for sure!

Dave

I'm not actually a Golden Earring fan, just for the sake of clarity, but I've been waiting for an opportunity to make the "golden ears" plus tinnitus gag since I chose my forum name...

It is often the retired old men in their 70s having to much time and love themself posting long stories of how high bitrate and less ringing at high samplerates is so much better. Lately i realized one very stubburn person posting in different forums is 75 years old with sound panels that max out below 20kHz. The claims follow pretty much the marketing speech or the words of other old men writing in the audiophile press these days. He must have build strong believes over the years. There are many it seems.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers