Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PCP3.11 Pi Model B USB DAC Arcam IRDAC II issues

Hi I have recently setup my old pi which is original model b running latest picoreplayer and using USB audio out to my ARCAM IRDAC ii dac. I used the settings for my model of DAC from the website but the audio coming out is pretty poor. A lot of dropouts, what sounds like poor resampling especially on some of my HQ 192k flac files but even bog standard mp3 is suffering dropouts and it all sounds a little shrill. Anyone have any clues, is it just the model b is underpowered (checked top and cpu does not seem overly taxed) or is the usb bus rubbish. Could it be power? I am only using the bog standard supply pihut gave me when I bought the thing. Or is this going to need some linux love, my linux is not that great but if you point me in the right direction I can try.

Just tried a Tidal stream it was unlistenable,
    Arcam AVR360
    ClearAudio Concept wih MC Concept
    ClearAudio Nano V2
    Arcam irDAC2
    Arcam Alpha 7 SE CD
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch - RIP
    Logitech Squeezebox Radio
    Squeezeplay - Joggler
    Squeezeplay - 2 x Raspberry Pi
    Squeezeplay - 2 x Android
    LMS to Upnp - 2x Pure Jongo

So switching to server side transcoding to PCM seems to have sorted some of my issues, unfortunately can't do this for tidal streams.
    Arcam AVR360
    ClearAudio Nano V2
    Arcam irDAC2
    Arcam Alpha 7 SE CD
    Squeezeplay - Joggler

Model B original has very little CPU power. Anything that requires any work on the Pi will be glacially slow. Upgrade.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

I have original model A and B'. They have plenty of power to resample. It is more than likely the USB Dac. What sample rate are you trying to push to the DAC?

The USB bus does also run all connectivity, ethernet included. Could be that. But I would say it would struggle to resample high bitrate media live.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Mostly I have 44.1/16, only have 1 at 192/24 was using it to put it through its paces and few at 96/24. i turned on overclocking and but back full decoding on the Pi and rebooted and it seems to be playing ball for now. Was worrying that not even 44.1 files played without issue before. I will most likely update to a pi3 in the coming months but wanted to make sure USB would work first, otherwise I would have to buy an external digiboard too and a new case. None of which look as nice as the FlIRC case.
    Arcam AVR360
    ClearAudio Nano V2
    Arcam irDAC2
    Arcam Alpha 7 SE CD
    Squeezeplay - Joggler

Quote Originally Posted by crystalgipsy View Post
    Mostly I have 44.1/16, only have 1 at 192/24 was using it to put it through its paces and few at 96/24. i turned on overclocking and but back full decoding on the Pi and rebooted and it seems to be playing ball for now. Was worrying that not even 44.1 files played without issue before. I will most likely update to a pi3 in the coming months but wanted to make sure USB would work first, otherwise I would have to buy an external digiboard too and a new case. None of which look as nice as the FlIRC case.
    USB can work, but there is only so much they can do with the hardware architecture. I2S cards remove the USB bottleneck. Get a card with and optical or coax output and feed that to your Dac.

I probably will eventually just trying to make things work with what I have first.
    Arcam AVR360
    ClearAudio Nano V2
    Arcam irDAC2
    Arcam Alpha 7 SE CD
    Squeezeplay - Joggler

Quote Originally Posted by crystalgipsy View Post
    I probably will eventually just trying to make things work with what I have first.
    Fair enough.

Look at the USB settings tweaks on the Tweaks page. On the squeezelite page, try all possible Output options and then Increase Buffers on ALSA settings

I built a different SD card with v3.02 instead of 3.11, I am familiar with this version more as I am running it on my other pi with a HiFiBerry Amp+. Seems to have cleared up any issues so far USB audio appears free of droputs and resampling weirdness. So either its these new audiocentric versions of piCore or just the later builds. Will see if its still stable after running for a while.
    Arcam AVR360
    ClearAudio Nano V2
    Arcam irDAC2
    Arcam Alpha 7 SE CD
    Squeezeplay - Joggler