Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi Pippin,

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    I used this one:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't really want to give a recommendation in the article because these products are usually pretty short lived so if someone reads this 6 months from now the exact same power bank might no longer be available or the vendor might sell a changed product under the same name. Happens all the time...
    i'm looking for a powerbank, too.
    I still did not find one, which does not need a button to be pressed.
    I tried several, but they all need a button to be pressed for startup.

How exactly did you solve this problem?

Hmm,

replying to my own question:

i bought this one: http://amzn.to/2sx11DK
    It powers up if i plug in an external power source for charging ...

So all i need is an additional small 5V supply to wake the powerbank?
    This could get very messy.

Quote Originally Posted by zerosub View Post
    Hmm,
    This could get very messy.
    Most likely?!

I am using this one without problems, (there was a special offer, so i decided to try it out for 8 Euros ) https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Lumsing 10000mAh externe Akku, kleine und leichte Powerbank, ultra kompakt fŘr iPhone Samsung S6 Edge HTC Smartphones Tablets -Wei▀
    von Lumsing«

I t seems, it is not in stock anymore....
    So we should try one powerbank from a brand, like anker or so, that we can by it for a longer time...
    I need also more, tomorrow there is one on sale at aldi sŘd (in germany), i try that, or perhaps one from xiaomi....

Alternative hardware to build the same set

Thanks Pippin for your sharing and documenting efforts of your build.

As I love small amps and PCP sets, I have quite some google experience on what is available.
    And quite some experience with 2 running sets based on the discontinued cirrus logic audio card.

To all of you I would suggest to look into the phat-beat from pimoroni too, as it also comes with a small 2-times-3-watt-amp and more.
    Some pros would be :
    the un-soldered female gpio plug to allow even smaller or versatile hardware setups.
    the pre build buttons to start-pause-power-skip and change volume etc.
    the option to add your own buttons if the pre-mounted ones are not fitting your needs.
    the option to use the apa102 leds to signal out, including VU meters if you feel up to it.

On the other side, I have not seen PCP support for MAX98357A ( single or dual ) jet, but if that is solved you have got a cheap option to add a lot with 1 board. Please respond if you know more on this MAX98357A support.

I myself will add rotary control to my builds too. As there is no substitute for the comfort of a physical knob you can rotate fast or slow to your needs.
    and this should be very well possible in parallel to other options like web-gui, IR , buttons and touchscreens. Thank you for your work on that software part !

For the power issue I am looking into the small UPS circuits boards from the far east ( often misspelled as USP if you google ).
    It should allow to power/charge a lithium cell , or set of cells, while also boosting the 3.x volts back to 5 volts for the pi and amp to run on.
    But as most claim to be 'up to 2 amps' and it needs to power pi and amp , I best test it myself before calling it a viable option.
    When tested I will come up with some feedback.

Warning: experimenting with high energy batteries can result in unexpected results, fire and explosions are not impossible.
    And old school fuse is much cheaper than a blast from your fire extinguisher !

Greetz M-H