Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by liffy99 View Post
    What about alternatives to LMS or Vortexbox SW - I know nothing of alternatives - is JRiver one ? Does that both manage the library, rip and encode etc ?
    You need LMS (Vortexbox runs LMS) to serve music to your Squeezebox players. It pretty much just runs in the background on Windows. J River is a fine media manager/ripper/tagger; MediaMonkey, MusicBee, Nightingale, and foobar2000 are alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    I read the question as mainly being a matter of making things more robust and easier to use, and I don't see running VB on a virtual machine doing anything for ease of use, possibly the opposite. It will be just as "headless" and the default install will probably require a bit of tweaking if you want to keep the music collection in the host OS file system.
    Virtualization is pretty neat, but perhaps not the answer to the question at hand.
    I really don't have much of advice, it's not easy to come up with a simple solution that ticks all of the boxes (autorip, incremental backups etc), for such a use case I believe a dedicated server with VB is the least bad option.
    I tend to agree based on the limited information we have.

If the existing Vortexbox isn't working properly but you need auto-rip, auto conversion then I'd buy a second hand small form factor low power PC with CD and install Vortexbox from ISO.

Unfortunately the Vortexbox forums are down so the lack of perceived support maybe an off putting factor.
    The basic 2.4 install runs 7.8.1 but it is easy to move it to the 7.9 nightly path.

It is also fairly easy to hack the config files around to get the CD ripping as you want.

Personally I still use an old PC in this mode but it has been hacked to have storage on a NAS via NFS - an unnecessary step here.

I do agree with Jeff that cover art is a bit hit & miss but that is easily resolved.

There is plenty of support here.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes