Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Raspberry Pi on switched power outlet

Hey all,

I'm installing a Picoreplayer in my kitchen, and I have reasonably easy access to a switched power outlet. It's shared with my under-counter lights, which we always switch on when we're in the kitchen.

If I use this power source, the Pi will be switched on and off several times per day. Is this any sort of strain on the hardware? Boot-up time seems quite quick, so this isn't an issue for me.

Constant power would require a drywall saw, fish tape and a new breaker for my power panel. All do-able, but I'm trying to talk myself into the easier approach.

An added benefit (so I'm telling myself) is power savings during the day, and during vacations.

Can anyone see any issues with this concept?

Thanks,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
    Hey all,

I'm installing a Picoreplayer in my kitchen, and I have reasonably easy access to a switched power outlet. It's shared with my under-counter lights, which we always switch on when we're in the kitchen.

If I use this power source, the Pi will be switched on and off several times per day. Is this any sort of strain on the hardware? Boot-up time seems quite quick, so this isn't an issue for me.

Constant power would require a drywall saw, fish tape and a new breaker for my power panel. All do-able, but I'm trying to talk myself into the easier approach.

An added benefit (so I'm telling myself) is power savings during the day, and during vacations.
    T power
    Can anyone see any issues with this concept?

Thanks,
    Jason
    I don't think you will have any issues, I constantly unplug the pCP and have never had a problem.
    If you are running LMS on the same pCP I would advice to have constant power to the device.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by sbp View Post
    I don't think you will have any issues, I constantly unplug the pCP and have never had a problem.
    If you are running LMS on the same pCP I would advice to have constant power to the device.
    Excellent! Thanks for the help.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for the help.

Jason
    Personally I have found switching on and off has messed up the SD card and I have had to reformat it. So I leave mine switched on.

Regards

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by VFRBOB View Post
    Personally I have found switching on and off has messed up the SD card and I have had to reformat it. So I leave mine switched on.

Regards

Steve
    Depends on the distribution you're using. Picoreplayer runs from RAM, only reads from the SD during boot, so risk of corruption is minimal
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Car: BananaPi LMS + Squeezeplayer on Android phone - Controller TBD ...

Quote Originally Posted by VFRBOB View Post

Regards

Steve
    Hi Steve,

What OS are you using? Raspbian?

piCorePlayer uses an embedded Linux (piCore/Busybox) that resides in RAM , just like a Squeezebox Touch, Duet Controller and your router. So you should be able to simply turn it off and on without worrying about corruption as it reinstalls Linux from scratch each time it boots.

regards
    Greg