Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Picoreplayer USB audio out

Hi I am having to replace my fried Touch in my primary listening area which served my well for many years. As I have a couple of Pi's in other rooms I was thinking of building another Pi system to replace the touch. As I want to keep costs down I was thinking of using USB audio out as my Arcam irDACii has usb in. Is USB stable in PiCorePlayer these days or am I better getting a separate digital out board such as the hifiberry digi+ as I have their amp+ in use in the dining room and its pretty good?
    Arcam AVR360
    ClearAudio Concept wih MC Concept
    ClearAudio Nano V2
    Arcam irDAC2
    Arcam Alpha 7 SE CD
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch - RIP
    Logitech Squeezebox Radio
    Squeezeplay - Joggler
    Squeezeplay - 2 x Raspberry Pi
    Squeezeplay - 2 x Android
    LMS to Upnp - 2x Pure Jongo

try with one of your other PI ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I have mine running with A screen, Picoreplayer and Jivelite into a Dacmagic 100. No problems at all and great sound.

I personally would not use USB anymore on a pi, The i2s boards are quite cheap. That being said, Usb is fairly stable. But settings can be drastically different between DACs. Test it out.

We keep a running list of USB DACs and settings here......

https://sites.google.com/site/picore...st-of-USB-DACs

My development Pi with Touchscreen (pCp 3.11) is happily running with a HifiMeDIY Sabre DAC (24/96) via USB - no crackle no pops. Sounds pretty good to me. Networking is wired.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I used to run a PI2 into an M-DAC though USB. On several occasions I had to reboot the PI after about 6 - 7 hours of playing (straight).
    When it occurs, there is no more sound apart from some bursts now and then. Since then, I've installed a SPDIF interface into that same PI. It is now connected though coax and never had that issues again. The M-DAC has a USB 1 interface so maybe that was at play as well. But according to some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, it is not a wise idea to use the USB interface on an RPI for audio. With my experiences I can only concur.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I used to run a PI2 into an M-DAC though USB. On several occasions I had to reboot the PI after about 6 - 7 hours of playing (straight).
    When it occurs, there is no more sound apart from some bursts now and then. Since then, I've installed a SPDIF interface into that same PI. It is now connected though coax and never had that issues again. The M-DAC has a USB 1 interface so maybe that was at play as well. But according to some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, it is not a wise idea to use the USB interface on an RPI for audio. With my experiences I can only concur.

I think the Mdac is a bit of an exception to the general rule as I believe even the designer recommends spdif. Look on the pfm forum in particular for many tails of woe . I think even Triode experienced difficulties with the Mdac.

Many people advise that that the usb and ethernet bus sharing is detrimental to sound quality , they have much better hearing than me .

Try it and see, is the only option imho. I have tried several usb dacs and usb/spdif converters without problem.

ronnie

If it's USB1 there really is no point . It's the USB2 that has asynchronous connection .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I think the Mdac is a bit of an exception to the general rule as I believe even the designer recommends spdif. Look on the pfm forum in particular for many tails of woe [IMG]file:///C:\Users\phibon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image002.gif[/IMG]. I think even Triode experienced difficulties with the Mdac.
    Yes I say those posts over at PFM.
    The M-DAC was / is a great dac but I never understood why USB 1 interface was choosen by the designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Many people advise that that the usb and ethernet bus sharing is detrimental to sound quality [IMG]file:///C:\Users\phibon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image004.gif[/IMG], they have much better hearing than me [IMG]file:///C:\Users\phibon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image006.gif[/IMG].
    I very much doubt that us mortals are able to hear any difference between USB and SPDIF. I believe that good SPDIF interface has long surpassed the human hearing capabilities. Just for testing I might give USB a go again since my M-DAC has been replaced by a Cambridge Audio 851D a while ago.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon