Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crystalgipsy
    • Feb 2014

Picoreplayer USB audio out

Hi I am having to replace my fried Touch in my primary listening area which served my well for many years. As I have a couple of Pi's in other rooms I was thinking of building another Pi system to replace the touch. As I want to keep costs down I was thinking of using USB audio out as my Arcam irDACii has usb in. Is USB stable in PiCorePlayer these days or am I better getting a separate digital out board such as the hifiberry digi+ as I have their amp+ in use in the dining room and its pretty good?
    Hardware
    Naim Uniti Atom, Arcam rPhono, ClearAudio Concept with MC Concept, Tannoy XT6F
    Logitech Squeezebox Radio
    BlueSound Node 2i, QAcoustics BT3
    Raspberry Pi, Ifi Nano iDSD BL
    Raspberry Pi , Dragonfly Cobalt, Meze Rai Solo
    Raspberry Pi , HifiiBerry Amp2, QAcoustics 2000iC
    Raspbery Pi. HifiBerry Amp+, Celestion F1
    ChromeCast Audio, Pure Jongo
    NUC, RME ADI -2 DAC, Meze 99 Classics

Software
    Roon, UAPP, LMS2UPNP, Tidal, Qobuz, BubbleUPnP
  • Mnyb
    • Feb 2006

try with one of your other PI ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• Corelli45
      • Mar 2012

I have mine running with A screen, Picoreplayer and Jivelite into a Dacmagic 100. No problems at all and great sound.

Comment

• paul-
        • Jan 2013

I personally would not use USB anymore on a pi, The i2s boards are quite cheap. That being said, Usb is fairly stable. But settings can be drastically different between DACs. Test it out.

We keep a running list of USB DACs and settings here......

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).
        piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
        Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

• d6jg
          • Feb 2011

My development Pi with Touchscreen (pCp 3.11) is happily running with a HifiMeDIY Sabre DAC (24/96) via USB - no crackle no pops. Sounds pretty good to me. Networking is wired.
          Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
          Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
          Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
            • Oct 2006

I used to run a PI2 into an M-DAC though USB. On several occasions I had to reboot the PI after about 6 - 7 hours of playing (straight).
            When it occurs, there is no more sound apart from some bursts now and then. Since then, I've installed a SPDIF interface into that same PI. It is now connected though coax and never had that issues again. The M-DAC has a USB 1 interface so maybe that was at play as well. But according to some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, it is not a wise idea to use the USB interface on an RPI for audio. With my experiences I can only concur.
            Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
            1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
            1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
            ReadyNAS NVX for storage
            piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
            iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
            http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• Man in a van
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pascal Hibon
              I used to run a PI2 into an M-DAC though USB. On several occasions I had to reboot the PI after about 6 - 7 hours of playing (straight).
              When it occurs, there is no more sound apart from some bursts now and then. Since then, I've installed a SPDIF interface into that same PI. It is now connected though coax and never had that issues again. The M-DAC has a USB 1 interface so maybe that was at play as well. But according to some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, it is not a wise idea to use the USB interface on an RPI for audio. With my experiences I can only concur.

I think the Mdac is a bit of an exception to the general rule as I believe even the designer recommends spdif. Look on the pfm forum in particular for many tails of woe . I think even Triode experienced difficulties with the Mdac.

Many people advise that that the usb and ethernet bus sharing is detrimental to sound quality , they have much better hearing than me .

Try it and see, is the only option imho. I have tried several usb dacs and usb/spdif converters without problem.

ronnie

Comment

• Mnyb
                • Feb 2006

If it's USB1 there really is no point . It's the USB2 that has asynchronous connection .
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                Bedroom/Office: Boom
                Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Man in a van
                  I think the Mdac is a bit of an exception to the general rule as I believe even the designer recommends spdif. Look on the pfm forum in particular for many tails of woe [IMG]file:///C:\Users\phibon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image002.gif[/IMG]. I think even Triode experienced difficulties with the Mdac.
                  Yes I say those posts over at PFM.
                  The M-DAC was / is a great dac but I never understood why USB 1 interface was choosen by the designer.

Originally posted by Man in a van
                  Many people advise that that the usb and ethernet bus sharing is detrimental to sound quality [IMG]file:///C:\Users\phibon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image004.gif[/IMG], they have much better hearing than me [IMG]file:///C:\Users\phibon\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image006.gif[/IMG].
                  I very much doubt that us mortals are able to hear any difference between USB and SPDIF. I believe that good SPDIF interface has long surpassed the human hearing capabilities. Just for testing I might give USB a go again since my M-DAC has been replaced by a Cambridge Audio 851D a while ago.
                  Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
                  1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
                  1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
                  ReadyNAS NVX for storage
                  piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
                  iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
                  http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

Working...