Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ... Let me also state, I would so hope that, over the next years, someone picks up a next gen SB development... In my dreams, I envision an SB OLED Touch v2 that offers...

- HDMI output to send liner notes to TV
    - Dual Digital and optical outputs with configurable frequency cutoffs
    - Built-in but bypassable room correction
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 12) running Ubuntu 16.04 + LMS 7.9
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Room correction. I have experimented with it. Not yet sold on existing solutions. Call me old fashioned. Maybe I lucked out with my current room. But I am sure it'll get there and make a huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    I've tried digital room correction and it didn't really change things much or really seem worth the effort. Maybe I'm like you and am fairly lucky to already have decent acoustics.
    "Correcting" my two listening rooms is the most interesting and meaningful thing I've recently done with my Squeezebox system. I spent $75 for a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone and downloaded the free REW measurement suite. Implemented 3-4 parametric equalizer filters in each room using SoX and custom-convert.conf. Whole thing took me under an hour per room.

My limited experience with room correction is comprised of the Audessy DSP in my Marantz HTR. it came with a microphone and a cardboard stand which a set up in the primary listening position and ran the set up. Based on how much better the surround sound sounds compared with the older Marantz that the new one replaced, I would say microphone based set up with a DSP is the way to go.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Interesting discussion about Roon. I've thought about getting that at times for the simple reason of the expanded database and info. It would be interesting to know more about the recording and artists, but I'm so-so about the trivia aspect of music info, as in the drummer on this album played on another album and that saxophonist got sick during another recording in 1962 and threw up.

For the most part, I'm content to hear the music that is being played at the moment.

This seems like a good moment to make a reading reommendation. My son put me on to a book by Lace Clayton (AKA DJ Rupture) called "Uproot -- Travels in the 21st Century Music and Digital Culture". While I have a limited appreciation of much the the music under discussion, it is a fascinating insight into everything from MP3s, Autotune and FruityLoop software to Congolese and Berber music from Africa, Cumbia Sonidara and pre-Hispanic Tribal music from Mexico and so on, along with some interesting comments on the business aspects of the music industry. Can't say I'll keep it as a re-read or reference book, but was certainly an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    ... Let me also state, I would so hope that, over the next years, someone picks up a next gen SB development... In my dreams, I envision an SB OLED Touch v2 that offers...

- HDMI output to send liner notes to TV
    - Dual Digital and optical outputs with configurable frequency cutoffs
    - Built-in but bypassable room correction
    That's a great idea Pablolie. I would also suggest the idea of LMS supporting MULTICHANNEL to stream through that HDMI interface :-).

And make that room correction DSP powerful enough to handle the multichannel data in 24/96!
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    On the integration front I can see the benefit of Roon but I'd only ever want it via an iPad app - preferably built in to iPeng - I don't want to have to have a PC on to access the data.
    The ipad app for Roon works nicely and shows all this info and is easy to navigate. the iphone app not so well (it is good for controlling playback, etc, but not good for browsing all this good info).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Gary i have a few quick questions about Roon:

1) How long does Roon take to scan one's music library as compared to LMS?

2) How much larger is Roon's database as compared to LMS?

and 3) How responsive is Roon as compared to LMS?
    1. with 95,094 tracks, from scratch it takes about an hour to scan library (about the same as LMS for me). At this point the music is playable. But after this, it does an additional scan in the background to create its own R128 (replaygain) values (both album and track) and generate wave form info. It takes about 24 hours to complete this task in the background. (this 2nd scan only happens one time unless you manually delete the database to start over...only new additions are scanned for this additional info, although if you change anything about the file (tags, etc.) it is rescanned by Roon just in case there has been some change.

2. hmmm, not sure. The database it creates on my computer (which can be backed up and restored) is 3.46GB (this doesn't include my music files, only the roon database)

3. equally responsive as LMS on both a i7 windows machine and an i5 linux machine.
    Last edited by garym; 2017-02-07 at 19:36.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

To try to answer the original posting - I spent yesterday at ISE2017 - Integrated Systems Europe, one of the largest AV trade fairs in Europe. It filled pretty much the whole RAI exhibition centre, but only one hall was Audio. Even Harman International were mostly promoting their smart retail store concepts. Everything was digital. Audio-over-IP (AES67, AES70) seems a big thing, but audio is definitely seen as just one of the many integrated "smart living" components. I had a bit of overload of Jetsons-like solutions to run my life.

So forget optical. Forget audio cables (even Belkin was displaying their cat5/6/7 cabling systems). It will all be over IP, and using common protocols (instead of the current multitude of proprietary solution), but all a bit too oriented towards "lifestyle".
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post

So forget optical. Forget audio cables (even Belkin was displaying their cat5/6/7 cabling systems). It will all be over IP, and using common protocols (instead of the current multitude of proprietary solution), but all a bit too oriented towards "lifestyle".
    So like Squeezebox then.

Talk about ahead of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    1. with 95,094 tracks, from scratch it takes about an hour to scan library (about the same as LMS for me). At this point the music is playable. But after this, it does an additional scan in the background to create its own R128 (replaygain) values (both album and track) and generate wave form info. It takes about 24 hours to complete this task in the background. (this 2nd scan only happens one time unless you manually delete the database to start over...only new additions are scanned for this additional info, although if you change anything about the file (tags, etc.) it is rescanned by Roon just in case there has been some change.

2. hmmm, not sure. The database it creates on my computer (which can be backed up and restored) is 3.46GB (this doesn't include my music files, only the roon database)

3. equally responsive as LMS on both a i7 windows machine and an i5 linux machine.
    Gary, thank you for responding to my tedious questions. I really don't want to derail this thread by turning it into a thread about Roon but.........

I do have a few more questions and comments.

Regarding the "secondary" background scan: 1) is the replaygain defeatable since I don't use it nor do I intend to use it any time soon. 2) Is it during this background scan when Roon locates and builds the database with all the album/song information and generates the various links?

As for the database size, I would guess that the final Roon database would end up being 3 to 4 times the size of the LMS database.

And finally, can Roon be used/controlled from other devices (computers, tablets, smartphones, etc.) within the local network and will Roon provide the same information and links as when accessed from the computer that Roon is actually running on?

Again I apologize for hijacking this thread and asking all these questions. Perhaps a little background information about my setup would help to explain my concerns. I have a Windows 10 computer that I use as the LMS server. This computer along with the external hard drives that contain all my music files is used only as an LMS server. On all my other computers and devices I use various programs (Moose, Muso, iPeng, Orange Squeeze, etc.) to access LMS and control the Squeezebox players in my home. So if Roon's fancy database can only be accessed from the same computer that Roon is running on then it would be a non-starter for me. In addition I have a much larger music library and I am concerned about Roon's ability handle a library of this size.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm