Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom can't automatically find an IP address..

Hi,
    I have a Boom that has behaved itself for years. Yesterday it was moved, the power was interrupted, and now it won't behave.

It connects to the network OK, but it won't find an IP address automatically. The power inlet may be an issue - minor touches make the button lights flicker which seems to suggest it's not a good connection - but the unit is powered up, accepts remote control input etc etc.

I've tried factory and Xlink resets, with no benefit. I just end up in the same place: connected to the network, but not able to find an IP address.

I haven't been able to try it wired to ethernet yet - that's something that will need to wait for later in the day.

ANy advice on this?

If the power inlet is 'dodgy' can that be replaced or fixed?

Also how does the 'press knob to self-assign an IP address work'? My LMS is on 192.168..... When the Boom self assigns it goes to 169.254..... ? I don't know much about networks, but I'd have thought it would need to self-assign an IP address along the same lines as the server?

When I do this (self assign an IP address) the Boom can see the server as my music source, with the correct server IP address, it asks to connect, but then won't.... and hangs indefinitely.

So having looked at other threads I wonder if:
    a) the power connection is too poor
    b) the wifi card needs reseated
    c) there's something else I don't know about - and as a general principle there's always lots of that.

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received as always.

Thanks

Donald
    SB user since 2000...
    3 x Touch; 2 x Boom ; 4 x Classic; 1 x Controller
    Controlled by iPad using 'Squeezepad'
    Vortexbox/Nova appliance running LMS version 7.9

Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Boom that has behaved itself for years. Yesterday it was moved, the power was interrupted, and now it won't behave.

It connects to the network OK, but it won't find an IP address automatically. The power inlet may be an issue - minor touches make the button lights flicker which seems to suggest it's not a good connection - but the unit is powered up, accepts remote control input etc etc.

I've tried factory and Xlink resets, with no benefit. I just end up in the same place: connected to the network, but not able to find an IP address.

I haven't been able to try it wired to ethernet yet - that's something that will need to wait for later in the day.

ANy advice on this?

If the power inlet is 'dodgy' can that be replaced or fixed?

Also how does the 'press knob to self-assign an IP address work'? My LMS is on 192.168..... When the Boom self assigns it goes to 169.254..... ? I don't know much about networks, but I'd have thought it would need to self-assign an IP address along the same lines as the server?

When I do this (self assign an IP address) the Boom can see the server as my music source, with the correct server IP address, it asks to connect, but then won't.... and hangs indefinitely.

So having looked at other threads I wonder if:
    a) the power connection is too poor
    b) the wifi card needs reseated
    c) there's something else I don't know about - and as a general principle there's always lots of that.

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received as always.

Thanks

Donald

Maybe try the old power down and power up routine.

Power everything connected to your network down in an orderly fashion.

Reset the router, then power each item up one at a time, allowing each to connect to the router in turn. maybe try the Boom first.

Remember, one good game does not a championship win.

The nuclear option seems overkill to me. It's most likely the boom PSU or wi-fi card.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    The nuclear option seems overkill to me. It's most likely the boom PSU or wi-fi card.

Give me Nuclear everytime, "boom goes London, boom Paree.."

I used to have this problem at times. Rebooting the router then restarting LMS and then plugging the boom back in would usually solve it.

thanks guys. I haven't gone through the whole power down/power up routine yet.... but that was in the armoury. The more network devices come into the house, the more of a hassle it is.

On the PSU thing. To me, if the unit powers and lights up, connects to the network and accepts IR input, then I can't really see why that would stop it finding an IP address?? Is there any way a reduced power supply through a poor connection might do that??

Similarly, if it connects to the network, then presumably the wifi card must be properly seated??

ta

Donald

Edit: OK, OK. I bow to the inevitability of taking no shortcuts. I switched off all the 'squeezethings'; powered down the server/LMS; rebooted the router; and then started reconnecting the squeezeboxes with the 'problem' Boom first. Except this time there was no problem.

WHat's even better is that all the other players connected too!

So back to normal.

I really must do this 'first' next time anything goes wrong, rather than asking the question.

There definitely is something wrong with the power supply to the 'problem' Boom. I think it's the socket rather than the cable, but that's another issue and I'll search the Board for that.

Thanks for your help guys.

D
    Last edited by donmacn; 2017-02-06 at 13:38.
    SB user since 2000...

Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    Similarly, if it connects to the network, then presumably the wifi card must be properly seated??
    The WLAN cards in SB3, Boom and transporter can fail gradually causing partial powerups before finally preventing player boot. The WLAN card is easiily replaced and replacements are readily available on EBAY as they were used in many laptops.

Thanks for that. I'm up and running again, and I do think it's a power issue, but I'll keep this in mind just in case the 'symptoms' change.

D
    SB user since 2000...