Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Treatment of "artificial" albums

This is an off topic post, as it has to do with taking offline what works fine when online, using LMS.

I prepare various kinds of playlists, including ones that are compilations of alternate versions of songs. I like to listen to the same song done by two or more artists, in a row. It provides perspective on both the song and the artists, and over time leads me to listen to music that I hadn't done for some time. Always interesting.

In order to prepare these playlists for use on portable media and other contexts outside of LMS I export the songs in a playlist to a folder, and then use MP3Tag to identify the set as an "album". So all the songs are identified as being part of an album called, for instance, "Alternate Takes - A", where all the tracks are songs beginning with the letter A. When I copy the songs to a folder on a flash drive and play them in the car, it works quite nicely.

It didn't work so nicely while on vacation when I tried to play the "album" on my Win10 Surface, using the default player Groove Music (Microsoft's streaming service, which also provides for play of local music). Each individual track, with the album defined as above, was treated as its own album, with the artist name appended to the "Alternate Takes - A" name. This basically meant that I couldn't play the tracks in sequence, with the alternate takes of the song following each other.

So I decided, reluctantly, to activate WMP, being careful to turn off its more destructive aspects before using it. Same thing. Then I tried a couple of other players already installed on my system. Same thing.

I knew that Winamp worked properly for my purposes, having used it previously on a different device. I hunted down the install for the last version (now some years old) and got it up and running. It works perfectly, and will now be my default offline player.

But what exactly was going on with those other players? I don't understand why they didn't just take the album tag as it was.

Ideas?

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2017-02-05 at 08:00.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

MS has a long history of crappy music players that using default settings will go online, download new tag information, and update your files without your consent. There is a setting in Groove to turn this off much like there is a similar setting in WMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    MS has a long history of crappy music players that using default settings will go online, download new tag information, and update your files without your consent. There is a setting in Groove to turn this off much like there is a similar setting in WMP.
    I understand that, which is why I turned off those things in WMP before using it. Not the problem here.

It's not that the tags were changed, just that the players read the tag for the album (e.g. Alternate Takes - A) then appended the name of the artist for the purpose of deriving a new value for album (e.g. "Alternate Takes - A; The Beatles")
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

At least with WMP it sticks in my mind that there's a few things that have to be the same in addition to the album title. Maybe year and "album artist", but can't remember for sure.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Did you tag as a compilation? Otherwise I think that you do need a common Album Artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Did you tag as a compilation? Otherwise I think that you do need a common Album Artist.
    I don't think I did. Can you do that within MP3Tag? Don't have it here on vacation so can't check.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Can you do that within MP3Tag?
    Yes, just add extended tag:

COMPILATION=1

I tried setting the compilation tag, but that didn't solve the problem.

Then I thought of the Album Artist tag -- it appears that the players were creating individual albums by combining the album name with the album artist. I replaced all the Album Artist tags in the compilation with "Various Artists", and that worked. Now I see just one album with the name "Alternate Takes - A, Various Artists".

Solved my problem. I'll still stick with Winamp as my player though, on this device.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)