Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just curious, is there a way to confirm that the CD player is sending a signal through its digital out socket?

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    Just curious, is there a way to confirm that the CD player is sending a signal through its digital out socket?
    Good point. Do you have an external DAC to connect CD player to as a test.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Update:

This afternoon I did the following:
    - Xilinx reset (again)
    - Changed out RCA/coax cable
    - Verified that red laser light is being emitted from the Toslink cable coming out of the CDP
    - Repeated tests using another (different) CD player

Given the probability of multiple cables and two separate CD players being faulty, it now seems highly probable that the problem lies solely with the Transporter's hardware or software. No idea where to go from here.

Since you seem to do some diy you may open the unit and reseat the flatband cable going from the small digital in board to the mainboard.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

I'm going to suggest some really silly things. I'm sure these are not true in your case, but then again, I've seen very smart people struggle with a problem only to find that it was caused by something very silly. So forgive me in advance.

1. You mention RCA cables. In my case, the digital input of my Transporter for a S/PDIF digital cable us a BNC connector on the Transporter side. I have a source connected to the Digital Input with a BNC connector on the Transporter side and an RCA plug on the other source end. Can you get a S/PDIF cable with BNC on one side for connecting to Transporter as a test?

2. You mention a light from the optical input, but did you connect an optical cable to the Transporter from a CD player and try to play?

3. Silliest thing of all, for my Transporter Digital inputs, I have to select in the menu which of the inputs it uses: BNC, RCA, Optical and balanced AES. You've selected the right one when trying to play?
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm going to suggest some really silly things. I'm sure these are not true in your case, but then again, I've seen very smart people struggle with a problem only to find that it was caused by something very silly. So forgive me in advance.

1. You mention RCA cables. In my case, the digital input of my Transporter for a S/PDIF digital cable us a BNC connector on the Transporter side. I have a source connected to the Digital Input with a BNC connector on the Transporter side and an RCA plug on the other source end. Can you get a S/PDIF cable with BNC on one side for connecting to Transporter as a test?

2. You mention a light from the optical input, but did you connect an optical cable to the Transporter from a CD player and try to play?

3. Silliest thing of all, for my Transporter Digital inputs, I have to select in the menu which of the inputs it uses: BNC, RCA, Optical and balanced AES. You've selected the right one when trying to play?

There are no silly suggestions at this point...
    I only have access to cables with RCA connectors on both ends, which is what I initially used between the CD and RCA digital input on the Transporter. And I selected the RCA (not BNC) digital input on the Transporter when attempting to play this connection.

Same with the Toslink cable and optical input selection on the Transporter... again no sound.

Thanks for posting though... makes me rethink what I actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Since you seem to do some diy you may open the unit and reseat the flatband cable going from the small digital in board to the mainboard.
    Good suggestion... I think this has to be the next step and I may do that tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Even sillier: is the OP 100% sure he's connecting to the TP's digital inputs and not the digital outputs?

(My first thought was that he should check the digital I/O daughter board is connected internally, but I see Wombat has already mentioned that)
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Even sillier: is the OP 100% sure he's connecting to the TP's digital inputs and not the digital outputs?

(My first thought was that he should check the digital I/O daughter board is connected internally, but I see Wombat has already mentioned that)
    Yes, I selected from the "digital inputs" menu.

I'm going to pull the cover off this evening and see if the daughter board is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman53 View Post
    Yes, I selected from the "digital inputs" menu.
    Apologies, I appear not to have made myself clear.

I was talking about making sure you've plugged the cables into the digital input sockets on the back of the TP, and not inadvertantly plugged them into the digital output sockets. I know it sounds like a daft thing to suggest, but we can all have senior moments!
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A