Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transporter SE does not play from digital inputs

Hello all,
    I can't get a CD player to play through my Transporter SE. BTW, my Transporter is also the preamp in my system.

I've always played music through the network connection and had never tried the digital inputs until today when I connected a CD player to the RCA/coax input, selected play from RCA/spdif in the Transporter menu and I got no sound. I also tried the Toslink optical connection and got no sound there either.

I've read through related posts and one of them recommended to verify that the digital input plugin was installed, and if it was, to then reboot the Transporter by unplugging the Transporter and holding down the "1" key on the remote when powering it back up.

I have't tried this yet and I'm a little hesitant to try it because I wouldn't know what to do if I crashed the Transporter. First of all, I have no idea how to verify whether the digital plug in is installed so the first question is how to do that.

Bear in mind if responding that I'm a senior and not at all computer savvy.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman53 View Post
    Hello all,
    I can't get a CD player to play through my Transporter SE. BTW, my Transporter is also the preamp in my system.

I've always played music through the network connection and had never tried the digital inputs until today when I connected a CD player to the RCA/coax input, selected play from RCA/spdif in the Transporter menu and I got no sound. I also tried the Toslink optical connection and got no sound there either.

I've read through related posts and one of them recommended to verify that the digital input plugin was installed, and if it was, to then reboot the Transporter by unplugging the Transporter and holding down the "1" key on the remote when powering it back up.

I have't tried this yet and I'm a little hesitant to try it because I wouldn't know what to do if I crashed the Transporter. First of all, I have no idea how to verify whether the digital plug in is installed so the first question is how to do that.

Bear in mind if responding that I'm a senior and not at all computer savvy.
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    unplugging, then holding "1" while adding back power is the xlinx reset. It can't hurt anything and solves lots of unusual problems. I'd do that first. In LMS webGUI, go to settings, lower right side, then click on "plugins" tab, then see if the "digital inputs" plugin is ticked. If not, find it on the list and tick it and hit apply.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks, I did the reset and and then found settings in the LMS menu-- the digital plug ins box was already checked and still no sound so Im back to square 1.

I also noticed that the VU meter display disappears (black screen) whenever I select any of the digital inputs
    Last edited by jazzman53; 2017-01-30 at 18:40.

This is most likely not it but i had an expensive Marantz CD-Player that disabled the digital out when a cd had the copy protection flag set.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    This is most likely not it but i had an expensive Marantz CD-Player that disabled the digital out when a cd had the copy protection flag set.
    Thanks for the suggestion.... I just tried a couple more CD's and still no sound so it must be something else.

However, I did note that the VU meters didn't disappear this time when I selected the RCA/coax input.

You should try the Xilinx reset as suggested .

Install the digital input plugin first then reset and then maybe restart things ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Try turning digital volume up higher in the Transporter using remote or buttons on transporter. I notice that on my Transporter Digital inputs, I typically have to turn the volume up more than normal.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

The VU meters will not work they are rendered by the server so thats not an indication of anything .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Try turning digital volume up higher in the Transporter using remote or buttons on transporter. I notice that on my Transporter Digital inputs, I typically have to turn the volume up more than normal.
    I had the volume up to around 70% with the remote and still no sound. And I had already done Xilinx reset and also verified that the digital inputs box was checked (it already was), so I'm rather at an impasse. When I get home this afternoon I will connect a different CD deck, on the off chance its digital outs might be kaput. I was using an RCA video cable for the RCA/coax input (should work, right?). The only Toslink cable I had available was 25ft long so I'm wondering about signal loss there--- I'm reduced to grasping at straws here.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman53 View Post
    I had the volume up to around 70% with the remote and still no sound. And I had already done Xilinx reset and also verified that the digital inputs box was checked (it already was), so I'm rather at an impasse. When I get home this afternoon I will connect a different CD deck, on the off chance its digital outs might be kaput. I was using an RCA video cable for the RCA/coax input (should work, right?). The only Toslink cable I had available was 25ft long so I'm wondering about signal loss there--- I'm reduced to grasping at straws here.
    I'd do the same as you. Test with (1) different source, (2) different RCA cable and (3) try the toslink as well as a test. 25 foot won't matter for a test....