Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    40

    Plugin for 432Hz adjustment

    Hi!

    Is there a plugin that can be used to adjust A to 432Hz?

    The plugin should be capable of Rate (decrease by factor 432/440) and Tempo (increase by factor (440/432) adjust, alternatively Pitch (rumored to give lower quality).

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Askim View Post
    Hi!

    Is there a plugin that can be used to adjust A to 432Hz?

    The plugin should be capable of Rate (decrease by factor 432/440) and Tempo (increase by factor (440/432) adjust, alternatively Pitch (rumored to give lower quality).

    Thanks in advance!
    Can you explain the difference between "rate" and "pitch" in this context? Or are you talking about adjusting pitch independently of tempo (pretty much AutoTune...)?

    I suggest using SoX to statically adjust a few test files to see if the effect is what you like to hear before attempting real-time adjustment.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,014
    Sounds like it. Can I ask why? I would guess sox can do it but it will resample to 44khz (or whatever) so it might not be pretty (particularly if you're only changing one or other of tempo and pitch).

    Are you a musician looking to play along to pitch shifted recordings?
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

  4. #4
    Senior Member tcutting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Sounds like it. Can I ask why? I would guess sox can do it but it will resample to 44khz (or whatever) so it might not be pretty (particularly if you're only changing one or other of tempo and pitch).

    Are you a musician looking to play along to pitch shifted recordings?
    There is a "movement" which claims that A=432Hz (vs standard A=440Hz) somehow is "in tune with the Universe".

    Quote from "https://attunedvibrations.com/432hz/":
    What is 432 Hz tuning?

    A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature.
    The universal music of sacred geometry

    According to Brain T. Collins, a musician and researcher, the standard pitch (A=440 Hz) does not harmonize on any level that corresponds to cosmic movement, rhythm, or natural vibration. The greatest musicians, such as Mozart and Verdi, based their music on the natural vibration of A=432. It’s true that it is only 8 vibrations per second different from the standard tuning, but this small difference seems to be remarkable to our human consciousness.

    There’s a growing musical and metaphysical movement for recovering optimal integrity in the music industry and spirituality through the 432Hz tuning. In April 2008 Dutch journalist Richard Huisken founded the ‘back to 432 Hz’ committee, claiming that this original tuning was used in ancient cultures and is found on antique instruments like the Stradivarius violin.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Västerås Sweden
    Posts
    16,165
    Is it not also a trend for more authentic older style classical music ? ( no voodoo involved )
    Some want a more period correct tuning ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Can you explain the difference between "rate" and "pitch" in this context? Or are you talking about adjusting pitch independently of tempo (pretty much AutoTune...)?

    I suggest using SoX to statically adjust a few test files to see if the effect is what you like to hear before attempting real-time adjustment.
    Thans, I’ll give Sox a try.

    The naming of the effects are from a foobar2000 plugin, SoundTouch.

    And yes, the idea is to adjust pitch independently of tempo.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Can I ask why?
    As to why, as tcutting and Mnyb suggests, it’s is to change the tuning.

    I was inspired to explore this by contemporary artists like Melody Gardot and found the movement.

    I’ve been doing some recoding in foobar2000, but since my whole system is based on LMS, it would be more convenient with a LMS-plugin.

    Shifting A to 432Hz gives a distinctly different feel to the music – more “grounded”, less “busy”. Some of the more striking examples are trance like Infected Mushroom – music made to arouse – suddenly sounding energetic but in an oddly calm way. Piano music really shines, both classical and jazz. Still, it’s doesn’t work for everything – some music become somewhat unengaging, so I guess there’s a reason for the more modern sounding 440Hz after all.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Askim View Post
    And yes, the idea is to adjust pitch independently of tempo.
    Be aware that that is a pretty hard signal processing operation that will "warp" the sound data pretty drastically. As I wrote, that is pretty much what Autotune does (but in an even more extreme way).
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  9. #9
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Askim View Post
    Shifting A to 432Hz gives a distinctly different feel to the music – more “grounded”, less “busy”.
    I tend to prefer to listen to music the way the performers and producers intended, but on the other hand, long ago I was also part of making a system that synthesized an extra octave of deep bass for disco music...
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Askim View Post
    As to why, as tcutting and Mnyb suggests, it’s is to change the tuning.

    I was inspired to explore this by contemporary artists like Melody Gardot and found the movement.

    I’ve been doing some recoding in foobar2000, but since my whole system is based on LMS, it would be more convenient with a LMS-plugin.

    Shifting A to 432Hz gives a distinctly different feel to the music – more “grounded”, less “busy”.
    This was the other thing I was thinking of when I read your question..

    I would say that it sounds "slower", not "better"..

    Pitch shifting without tempo shift will sound bad. Tempo shift without pitch shift will sound bad. The only way to really compare is to get recordings made with the different tuning. And crucially - not the same song, back to back.

    Play lots of 432 tuned material one after the other and after a while you will find it no longer has its special "feel". The only reason it sounds special in the short term is because you must acclimatise to the change.

    Alternatively watch any movie at all, ever, on a British TV at 50Hz uplifted from 23.96Hz with a pitch shifted soundtrack and see how pleasant it is..

    All imho.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •