Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Audible click when switching from 16bit to higher res files?

I'm running the Touch via a COAX to a REGA-DAC. So I was forced to do a factory reset today on my Touch. After re-installing the EDO kernel (and shifting my buffer tunings to "Large")... I'm noticing for the first time that when I am playing 16bit files, but then switch to a 88, 96, or 124 resolution there is an audible click when the higher res files start to play. It only happens once, and if I switch to a different set of high res files when I'm already playing high res, there is no subsequent click. If I switch back to 16 bit files there is no click. But then once I switch from 16 bit to a higher resolution I get an initial click.

This is more of an annoyance than a deal-breaker... but I'd welcome any thoughts as to what might be happening?

I'm pretty sure this is a new development on my system... just one of those annoying head-scratches for when a mix-playist is made involving format switching...

Much appreciated.

That's gonna be down to the way the DAC handles the change I'm sure.. Neither of my DACs ever did this.
    Last edited by drmatt; 2017-01-28 at 11:40.
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    That's gonna be down to the way the DAC handles the change I'm sure.. Neither of my DACs ever did this.
    I thought about this possibility... but I'd swear the REGA-DAC-r was not doing this before... peculiar...

Nevertheless, yes, the REGA-DAC is producing the equivalent of a brief digital audio burst before when switching to a higher sampling rate before it starts to play...
    Last edited by LJG; 2017-01-28 at 14:33.

I used to have two Touch's with no external DAC. One had a bit of a clicking noise when going from 16 to 24bit. The other did not.

Transporter clicks too. You only will notice clicking if connected to power amp directly. Otherwise volume control attenuates it.
    Last edited by michel; 2017-02-04 at 03:10.