Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Recommendations for a SB player with built-in speakers

Hi,

Since SB radio / UE Smart Radio is hard to get these days, and I wanted to add a few players to my SB setup, what would you recommend?

I would like to have a device which has:
    - decent speakers built in,
    - volume and power (or rather standby mode) on/off to be controllable via LMS (and remote apps e.g. ipeng, orange squeeze)
    - no problems in staying in sync with the rest of existing squeezeboxes

And optionally:
    - physical on/off + volume controls, and play/pause/next/prev/presets buttons would be just perfect,
    - a battery,
    - a screen for displaying Squeezeplay interface would be nice to have, BUT it should react to ambient light intensity to lower its brightness during the night, as SB radio does...

Do any of you have experience with such devices? Does e.g. Squeezeplay on Zettaly Avy or other android device run without problems? Does any have a light sensor for automatically dimming their screens?
    Maybe an airplay speaker with lms-to-airplay bridge?

However, another option would be to use a RPI with piCorePlayer on it and external speakers connected, but I really need the volume to be controllable remotely (i.e. piCorePlayer controls the volume) - and external speakers can rarely handle that. Do you maybe have any to recommend?
    Last edited by mh_; 2017-01-24 at 07:42.

Quote Originally Posted by mh_ View Post
    Hi,

Since SB radio / UE Smart Radio is hard to get these days, and I wanted to add a few players to my SB setup, what would you recommend?

I would like to have a device which has:
    - decent speakers built in,
    - volume and power (or rather standby mode) on/off to be controllable via LMS (and remote apps e.g. ipeng, orange squeeze)
    - no problems in staying in sync with the rest of existing squeezeboxes

And optionally:
    - physical on/off + volume controls, and play/pause/next/prev/presets buttons would be just perfect,
    - a battery,
    - a screen for displaying Squeezeplay interface would be nice to have, BUT it should react to ambient light intensity to lower its brightness during the night, as SB radio does...

Do any of you have experience with such devices? Does e.g. Squeezeplay on Zettaly Avy or other android device run without problems? Does any have a light sensor for automatically dimming their screens?
    Maybe an airplay speaker with lms-to-airplay bridge?

However, another option would be to use a RPI with piCorePlayer on it and external speakers connected, but I really need the volume to be controllable remotely (i.e. piCorePlayer controls the volume) - and external speakers can rarely handle that. Do you maybe have any to recommend?
    I still see SB Radios come up on eBay. I bought a used one a few months back to add to my setup. I'm not aware of another existing unit which fits into the Squeezebox eco-system with the features you are looking for (physical controls/buttons, all-in-one (player, amp, speakers), screen)
    I have a couple of rPi/piCorePlayers which work well. One I have uses the HiFiBerry AMP+ which drives small external speakers, and the piCorePlayer controls the volume just fine - locally (I have an IR sensor setup with a remote. My second instance has the rPi 7-inch touch-screen, and that works for player controls via JiveLite) or remote (web, controller apps like iPeng or OrangeSqueeze). The newer rPi official screens do support dimming, but I'm not aware of anyone implementing a light sensor based control (I had considered trying to add something like that, but not high on my to-do list). These options are still a DIY project - need to figure out appropriate packaging, power supply, etc. I believe there are also folks who have implemented physical buttons for these applications (play, pause, volume, etc). Battery based would be another consideration.