Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QNAP VS. synology VS. Ras.pi vs..p.c.

Hi all....

Currently Using my Home P.C.LMS/ hd 1TB to access my music via SBT. I am Soon out growing that drive. I have done some Homework On NAS drives and still a tad Confused.

Option1: It seems I can use (some) A QNAP NAS...(but Need a Degree In computer Science to use it- Via LMS). it seems Complex to download The right vulnerability software Etc...(Although this may be quite easy after purchase of the NAS..) (I have signed upto QNAP & Synology forums to try and get some Info..)

option 2: Buy any NAS and then "point" a Ras.pi at it (with LMS SERVER on it) and off you go.

Option 3: Buy a Synology NAS -OR ANOTHER BRAND (this it seems may be easier to configure than a QNAP NAS)

Option 4: Buy Ras.pi attach LMS and HD TO Router and off you go...(cheap, but is it effective and reliable..?)

Option 5: Ignore all above and just UPGRADE to about 3Tb HD in Home P.C., Like Iam using now.(Downside, have to have computer on- would like to keep Music/HD Separate.. and have raid back up)

I suppose everyone does this slightly different to their needs- and there is no "Correct" answer. But Iam seeking a easy way. I dont mind Spending money for a NAS /HD's But will need to configure it, if I cant, waste of time and money(well I could return it)...

Option 6: Welcome, if you wish to confuse me further....Or it may well help!

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Option 5: Ignore all above and just UPGRADE to about 3Tb HD in Home P.C., Like Iam using now.(Downside, have to have computer on- would like to keep Music/HD Separate.. and have raid back up)

I suppose everyone does this slightly different to their needs- and there is no "Correct" answer. But Iam seeking a easy way. I dont mind Spending money for a NAS /HD's But will need to configure it, if I cant, waste of time and money(well I could return it)...

Option 6: Welcome, if you wish to confuse me further....Or it may well help!
    Option 6 - install VortexBox on a old PC, or a new low power consumption PC if you want to spend some money. http://wiki.vortexbox.org/
    VortexBox is a Linux install that includes NAS and LMS. I've been using it for years and it's hassle free and there's a large supportive community.

You DO NOT want RAID. That only protects from hardware failure. It will not protect you from accidental deletion, file system corruption or ransomware. You want regular OFFLINE backups to multiple drives.

Regards,
    Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

In the past I used option 1 - running LMS on a QNAP NAS, but I've switched to Option 2. I have a Raspberry Pi3 running piCorePlayer and LMS, with the music files on the NAS. Works very well and is very stable. I have the Pi and NAS running 24:7. Very easy to set up, and there's loads of advice and help available in the Linux/Unix forum here.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Good option 6! Id forgot about Vortex box's. I know you can Rip CDs on them and store. I always use dbpoweramp ripper Software, so maybe you can incorporate this into the the ripping Process with them.

Must say, never had a NAS , so it all new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    I always use dbpoweramp ripper Software, so maybe you can incorporate this into the the ripping Process with them.
    I rip with dBPowerAmp on Windows 10 and just set the output path to point to the VortexBox network drive.

I left the CD drive out of my VortexBox to reduce power consumption. I'm using a miniITX motherboard and a 4TB hard drive and it consumes less than 30 watts.

Kim
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

Hi,

IMHO Option6 is a bad idea - some rpi didnt use much energy a old pc would do that.
    a rpi even didnt need a fan.
    Vortexbox? I (personaly) didnt like it - scan cds without any work? I dont believe that - cause i know all the online databases they are full of misstyped Artists, tracks, Genres. If you want a good music database you had to take care on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hi,

IMHO Option6 is a bad idea - some rpi didnt use much energy a old pc would do that.
    a rpi even didnt need a fan.
    Vortexbox? I (personaly) didnt like it - scan cds without any work? I dont believe that - cause i know all the online databases they are full of misstyped Artists, tracks, Genres. If you want a good music database you had to take care on your own.
    To be fair to Krochat, By using DBPA There by- passing Vortex and getting Pretty good meta data/Artwork....and 30W of power is hardly going to bring down the national Grid.

Its interesting to see different ways Folk go around this. I wonder if any QNAP/ SYNOLOGY users still use Direct to LMS. Theres a guy on the QNAP forum Who says it can be done...I may have a go at this, if it fails...go to plan B and direct a Raspi THE qnap..

Quote Originally Posted by krochat View Post
    You DO NOT want RAID.
    The correct wording is: you don't want RAID 0 or 1 (usually two drive RAID systems). But you do want at least RAID 5 (at least three drives).
    RAID 5 (+) gives you two major pro's:
    1. you'll have an easy way to increase your storage when needed (by replacing / using bigger drives). The RAID system will automatically take care of the expansion. And in the mean time you have access to your files. This is not possible with a single drive solution. Copying large files over to a new large drive takes a very long time.
    2. RAID 5 (or more) provides redundancy. If a drive fails between backups then you don't loose any data (as opposed to single drive, none RAID, systems). And the RAID system will warn you upfront of drive failure. In this case you have the chance to replace the drive before it fails.

My main RAID system is a ReadyNAS NVX running Raid 5 (currently three drives fitted). It gets automatically back'd up every night to another NAS. This setup has been running for many many years without a single hiccup. I did increase the storage size once (up until now). RAID systems have been around for ages and are rock solid. They are used by all professional companies. It usually is human error if something fails in computerland. Just don't forget to backup (whatever system you are running !!).
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    The correct wording is: you don't want RAID 0 or 1 (usually two drive RAID systems). But you do want at least RAID 5 (at least three drives).
    RAID 5 (+) gives you two major pro's:
    1. you'll have an easy way to increase your storage when needed (by replacing / using bigger drives). T
    2. RAID 5 (or more) provides redundancy..
    I intended to include all RAID configurations in my comment.

Regarding (1) I just upgraded from 3TB to 4TB drives (main + 2 backup) and it took about 24 hours to copy the data and another 24 to verify. My music was available all the time. The ability of to extend the RAID array doesn't do anything to extend your backup NAS unless it's a RAID too.

Regarding (2) You're doing an automated backup daily, as do I, so the most I can lose without RAID is whatever I did that day.

My concern is that RAID tends to make one complacent. You have your configuration under control, but I wonder what you'd really lose if you weren't using RAID with the associated extra hardware and energy costs.

Regards,
    Kim
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by krochat View Post
    You have your configuration under control, but I wonder what you'd really lose if you weren't using RAID with the associated extra hardware and energy costs.
    In the end it all comes down to the level of risk you want to take on.
    If disaster strikes and your main drive fails during or just before a backup; and your backup drive fails as well then you loose everything. This is a scenario which is unlikely to occur in my configuration. Single drives cannot be trusted.
    The additional energy cost is no concern: for the additional protection my system offers the "additional" energy cost is sub zero in my mind.
    Note that I use my NAS drive for more than my music library: none of my laptop computers have data stored locally; everything resides on the NAS (and also get backup-ed.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon