Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    @meep re: sync, maybe your house is simply too big
    But seriously: I found that Pis which do not also run LMS sync surprisingly well with other devices, much better than PC based hardware.

Regarding the cabling there's a trade off: centralized structure is probably cheaper and easier built and if you run passive cabling you have less risk of distorting the signal than with line-level analog and you have less latency than with digital.

Myself, I'm all into active speakers or placing amps and renderers right next to the speaker because this is waaay more flexible, gets you better quality and yes.... easy local volume control...
    Interesting what you say about Pi's and syncing Pippin. I have 2 Pi's in my office - one has a HiFiberry Dac and the other has an IQaudio Dac. Otherwise they are the same both Pi2, both wired and both have the same build of pCp. I exeperience quite noticable "drift" from time to time - particularly on Spotify tracks - albeit it is fairly quickly corrected. They are both wired to the same professional grade gigabit switch that the LMS server is also wired to.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Hi guys,
    I thought I would take this thread as an opportunity to share the great blog post my colleague Christoph did on setting up Pi's and dedicated Pi sound cards to equip five rooms with multiroom capabilities. It includes several DAC and Amp setups and even a touchscreen control panel and still manages to undercut the price of most usual multiroom setups.
    We also built a "multiroom audio configurator" that lets you enter your respective room's preexisting hardware and your desired setup to than offer you a selection of possible Raspberry combinations to get the job done.

@d6jg is one of your Pis running the server?
    I plan to really challenge sync with my next project.
    I'm unhappy with my subwoofer setup because the dynamics of the sub are so different from the monitors that I always need to change the sub's volume when I go from "somewhat silent" to "somewhat loud".
    So I'd like to have a separate volume control for the sub and the current plan is to let the sub have its own Rpi player and sync it to the Transporter.
    If it really achieves the 10ms I get with hardware players and iThingies that should be good enough for a sub.
    But more drift would certainly sound horrible...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    I plan to really challenge sync with my next project.
    I'm unhappy with my subwoofer setup because the dynamics of the sub are so different from the monitors that I always need to change the sub's volume when I go from "somewhat silent" to "somewhat loud".
    So I'd like to have a separate volume control for the sub and the current plan is to let the sub have its own Rpi player and sync it to the Transporter.
    If it really achieves the 10ms I get with hardware players and iThingies that should be good enough for a sub.
    But more drift would certainly sound horrible...
    There's a forum user doing this. I was chatting to him elsewhere as, given my experience with sync, I couldn't believe this would be viable. Apparently it is. I'll point him towards this thread - he may chip in.

ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
    Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

Squeezebox | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet

Thanks.
    I've tried it with an old iPhone and that worked good enough but it's kind of overkill so long term I want to go with the pi
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by meep View Post
    There's a forum user doing this. I was chatting to him elsewhere as, given my experience with sync, I couldn't believe this would be viable. Apparently it is. I'll point him towards this thread - he may chip in.
    Thanks Peter. Yes, it is me. I have this on my whole house system and it works very well. My setup is as follows. I have a QSC 2 x 300 watt rack mount amp feeding my whole house system. A piCorePlayer (called Main) feeds this amp. There is 10 speakers that are ceiling mounted around the house. Each set of two speakers has a wall mounted subtractive volume control on. This means I can lower the volume on each speaker but cannot make them louder than whatever the main amp is feeding.

In the open plan lounge / kitchen dining room I felt I needed more bass. I had a Behringer B1200D-PRO 500W 12" sub anyway so I used that. It is located across the lounge from the QSC amp so I simply used a second piCorePlayer Synchronized to the QSC located device. In Settings > Player the Subbass looks like this
    Synchronize: Main
    Synchronize Volume: Sync player's volume
    Synchronize Power: Power on/off with group
    Maintain Synchronization: Maintain synchronization while playing

Given that bass is pretty non directional the bass pervades the whole ground floor and the sound is pretty good.

The real challenge was to be able to power off the subbass amp when it was not being used and here, I used a feature within the Beta settings of piCorePlayer 3.02 (thanks Jeff07971) that allows a GPIO pin on the RPi to be raised or lowered (0 or 3.1 volts was what I measured). I ran this into an optocoupler, a 6n137 that I had in my workshop. The output from this chip connects to an Arduino that is programmed to raise one of its digital outs to go high whilst the input is present. This output operates a power relay that switches on the QSC amp and a second output goes high for 750 ms to click a 2nd relay which spoofs a button press on an RF remote. The power switch for this powers up the Behringer sub. When the GPIO pin goes low, the first power relay drops our powering down the QSC and a third relay sends a 750 ms pulse to spoof pressing the Off button on the RF remote. This works flawlessly.

I use the LMS Powersaver Plugin to switch off all my players after 15 mins of Pause/Stop status. This also will drop the GPIO pin and the whole system just powers itself down. This means that if I pause Play to take a phone call and then forget to press Play, it will just power off on its own.

I have never drawn this up but will do so if people wish. I can also post the Arduino sketch. Please say if you want this.
    Server : LMS 7.9 on RPi3 running Jessie
    Players : RPi 2B, HiFiBerry DAC+ (Whole-House, 300Watts RMS 8 Ohm), + RPi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ for SubBass (500Watts)

............. 3 x RPi piCorePlayer. One with Behringer UCA222 USB DAC
    ............. 2 x Logitech Boom
    ............. 2 x Logitech Radio
    Control : Windows 10, Android Squeeze Ctrl, Amazon Dot
    Main HiFi: 1959 Rogers HG88MkIII valve/tube amplifier, Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable

Quote Originally Posted by rederikus View Post
    Thanks Peter. Yes, it is me. I have this on my whole house system and it works very well. My setup is as follows. I have a QSC 2 x 300 watt rack mount amp feeding my whole house system. A piCorePlayer (called Main) feeds this amp. There is 10 speakers that are ceiling mounted around the house. Each set of two speakers has a wall mounted subtractive volume control on. This means I can lower the volume on each speaker but cannot make them louder than whatever the main amp is feeding.

In the open plan lounge / kitchen dining room I felt I needed more bass. I had a Behringer B1200D-PRO 500W 12" sub anyway so I used that. It is located across the lounge from the QSC amp so I simply used a second piCorePlayer Synchronized to the QSC located device. In Settings > Player the Subbass looks like this

Given that bass is pretty non directional the bass pervades the whole ground floor and the sound is pretty good.

The real challenge was to be able to power off the subbass amp when it was not being used and here, I used a feature within the Beta settings of piCorePlayer 3.02 (thanks Jeff07971) that allows a GPIO pin on the RPi to be raised or lowered (0 or 3.1 volts was what I measured). I ran this into an optocoupler, a 6n137 that I had in my workshop. The output from this chip connects to an Arduino that is programmed to raise one of its digital outs to go high whilst the input is present. This output operates a power relay that switches on the QSC amp and a second output goes high for 750 ms to click a 2nd relay which spoofs a button press on an RF remote. The power switch for this powers up the Behringer sub. When the GPIO pin goes low, the first power relay drops our powering down the QSC and a third relay sends a 750 ms pulse to spoof pressing the Off button on the RF remote. This works flawlessly.

I use the LMS Powersaver Plugin to switch off all my players after 15 mins of Pause/Stop status. This also will drop the GPIO pin and the whole system just powers itself down. This means that if I pause Play to take a phone call and then forget to press Play, it will just power off on its own.

I have never drawn this up but will do so if people wish. I can also post the Arduino sketch. Please say if you want this.
    Nice setup!

Pippin my 2xPi setup does not include any LMS but I forgot that an o2 Joggler is also part of the sync group. I use the Joggler to control the Pi's. Why is it a player? Due to Kollossos Oval VU meters. The Joggler is plugged in to the aux input of the Pi1's amp which I never switch to. I had completely forgotten this was the case so I will unsynch it and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

I used a feature within the Beta settings of piCorePlayer 3.02 (thanks Jeff07971) that allows a GPIO pin on the RPi to be raised or lowered (0 or 3.1 volts was what I measured).
    Glad to be of help, the output on the GPIO is 3.3v Logic so 3.1v is OK

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.0 - 1475786002 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Glad to be of help, the output on the GPIO is 3.3v Logic so 3.1v is OK

Jeff
    Jeff, The output is obviously supposed to be 3.3V. That is what my Fluke measures on the 3.3V supply. Using the same ground point I was a little surprised to see only 3.1V present on GPIO 5 (pin 29). That said, it drove the 6n137 (how old can you go with optocouplers...) well. I seem to remember that I set the forward current to 8mA and it has worked well ever since. My old audio level sensing bit of hardware is now in the bits box.

Just talking to someone else online re-started my brain to solve the problem another way. Thanks man.
    Last edited by rederikus; 2017-01-20 at 14:42.
    Server : LMS 7.9 on RPi3 running Jessie
    Players : RPi 2B, HiFiBerry DAC+ (Whole-House, 300Watts RMS 8 Ohm), + RPi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ for SubBass (500Watts)

............. 3 x RPi piCorePlayer. One with Behringer UCA222 USB DAC
    ............. 2 x Logitech Boom
    ............. 2 x Logitech Radio
    Control : Windows 10, Android Squeeze Ctrl, Amazon Dot
    Main HiFi: 1959 Rogers HG88MkIII valve/tube amplifier, Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable

Thanks for the explanation!

Just one question...am I right in thinking you're playing the same sound to all the speakers? Ie one input source.