Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Giza2020 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation!

Just one question...am I right in thinking you're playing the same sound to all the speakers? Ie one input source.
    The music source is a either a Pandora streaming channel or a playlist or track from my mps collection stored on my WDMyClould. The LMS is a RPi3 running Jessie and LMS 7.9. Provided the two players are synchronized, the source should not matter. In fact my Subbass piCorePlayer is running on WiFi whilst the piCOrePlayer driving the Main whole house amp is hard-wired to an ethernet switch. At times I have also synchronized the Kitchen Logitech Radio and/or the Garage Logitech Boom.

I know this not the be a fluke since my son is doing more or less the same thing with a WIndows Home Server based LMS and a whole house system + other players. Give it a try, it seems to work well. Synchronizing has been a part of LMS since I started with it in 2008.
    Server : LMS 7.9 on RPi3 running Jessie
    Players : RPi 2B, HiFiBerry DAC+ (Whole-House, 300Watts RMS 8 Ohm), + RPi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ for SubBass (500Watts)

............. 3 x RPi piCorePlayer. One with Behringer UCA222 USB DAC
    ............. 2 x Logitech Boom
    ............. 2 x Logitech Radio
    Control : Windows 10, Android Squeeze Ctrl, Amazon Dot
    Main HiFi: 1959 Rogers HG88MkIII valve/tube amplifier, Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    @d6jg is one of your Pis running the server?
    I plan to really challenge sync with my next project.
    I'm unhappy with my subwoofer setup because the dynamics of the sub are so different from the monitors that I always need to change the sub's volume when I go from "somewhat silent" to "somewhat loud".
    So I'd like to have a separate volume control for the sub and the current plan is to let the sub have its own Rpi player and sync it to the Transporter.
    If it really achieves the 10ms I get with hardware players and iThingies that should be good enough for a sub.
    But more drift would certainly sound horrible...
    This happens with just about all subs. I have had it happen with 10,000 watt Front of House PA systems and also in my lounge. My little studio has a Yamaha HS10W 8" sub and a pair of JBL LSR305 5" tops. I even get some dynamic changes with this set up. In all case I find I need to adjust either to mid/top or the bass. The only way in the studio is to pick a sound level and keep it there. It is clear that the way the different speaker move air is dependent upon speaker cone excursion and the loading offered by the differing enclosures. Added to this are room acoustics and obstacles within the room.

There is just no way to fix this. The physics just won't allow it. Bi or tri-amping speakers and carefully adjusting individual gains automatically will almost eliminate this but such speakers are usually beyond our reach.

I have played with some really high end PAs and studio systems over the decades and believe that we are closer now with powered speakers than we ever were with external amps.
    Players : RPi 2B, HiFiBerry DAC+ (Whole-House, 300Watts RMS 8 Ohm), + RPi 2B & HiFiBerry DAC+ for SubBass (500Watts)

Main HiFi: 1959 Rogers HG88MkIII valve/tube amplifier, Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable

My aim is to have the chance to play from 4 different sources at the same time or synchronisation from just one...eg iplayer in kitchen and spotify in living room..or spotify in kitchen living room and sunroom.

Therefore I think the individual pis would be best (like the max2play setup).

I currently have a mini version of this running all in synch but wanted to check if expanding this out to the wider house was the best route. I think it sounds like it is.

My aim is to have the chance to play from 4 different sources at the same time or synchronisation from just one...eg iplayer in kitchen and spotify in living room..or spotify in kitchen living room and sunroom.

I currently have a mini version of this running all in synch but wanted to check if expanding this out to the wider house was the best route. I think it sounds like it is.
    yes, this will work well. squeezebox players can each play different things at the same time or all or some can by perfectly synched. But you don't need 4 sources of LMS running. You can have LMS running on a single location, and then all the players in your house can talk to that LMS (and play the same thing or different things).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by rederikus View Post
    This happens with just about all subs. I have had it happen with 10,000 watt Front of House PA systems and also in my lounge. My little studio has a Yamaha HS10W 8" sub and a pair of JBL LSR305 5" tops. I even get some dynamic changes with this set up. In all case I find I need to adjust either to mid/top or the bass. The only way in the studio is to pick a sound level and keep it there. It is clear that the way the different speaker move air is dependent upon speaker cone excursion and the loading offered by the differing enclosures. Added to this are room acoustics and obstacles within the room.

There is just no way to fix this. The physics just won't allow it. Bi or tri-amping speakers and carefully adjusting individual gains automatically will almost eliminate this but such speakers are usually beyond our reach.

I have played with some really high end PAs and studio systems over the decades and believe that we are closer now with powered speakers than we ever were with external amps.
    Yes, it's also why I've traditionally be pretty skeptical about subs but sometimes youngsters to make compromises.

That's why I want to go with a separate player for the sub. That way I can on the one hand individually adjust the calibration point of the volume curve - I use iPeng for the control and iPeng's group volume control is a bit more sophisticated than simple linear volume control.
    And when that's not enough (probably going to happen, too), I can always adjust it manually without having to walk to the sub
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Suggest you install ethernet cables to each location you may want either audio player, TV, or control pad, run from a common hub location (home run). You might also consider similar for coax (RG9). I like the decentralized (distributed) approach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    Suggest you install ethernet cables to each location you may want either audio player, TV, or control pad, run from a common hub location (home run). You might also consider similar for coax (RG9). I like the decentralized (distributed) approach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Hard-wired is always better, that's for sure. However my system is quite happily synchronizing a mix of hard-wired, wireless, Logitech and piCorePlayers. It sounds fine. There is no discernable or extraneous delays, reverb effects or timeouts. I was amazed, 3 years ago when we moved in here and I set it up. I thought it would sound terrible. Happy to have been wrong.

If could, I would have hard-wired everywhere except for my laptop and obviously) phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rederikus View Post
    Hard-wired is always better, that's for sure. However my system is quite happily synchronizing a mix of hard-wired, wireless, Logitech and piCorePlayers. It sounds fine. There is no discernable or extraneous delays, reverb effects or timeouts. I was amazed, 3 years ago when we moved in here and I set it up. I thought it would sound terrible. Happy to have been wrong.

If could, I would have hard-wired everywhere except for my laptop and obviously) phone.
    Like you say, hard-wired is better. When I did some remodeling, I was pulling new wires anyway, so included a significant amount of ethernet cable and RG8 coax. Much of it has been put into service.