Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boom or Radio or something more modern?

Hi,

I own a duet, connected to a NAS running LMS 7.9 with which I am quite satisfied. So this will stay.

Now I want something more portable and smaller for another room. This will be for children audio (audio book) in the children's room or for the bedroom.

Are the Boom and the Radio still valid choices today? Would current owners still buy them should they break? I mean, the Boom does not show cover art, the Radio is mono, so this is not state of the art anymore.

Synchronized play is not a must-have.

Martin
    ---
    LMS 7.8. NAS: QNAP ARM. Streaming: Duet. Controller: Duet, Android Squeezer. Amp: Denon 3310. Speakers: Canton 2xM80 + 2xCM7 + 2xM20 + Sub Nubert.

If you want to buy something - i would look to some threads about rpi 7" Touch.

If you want to bult something - go the same route .

edit: https://shop.max2play.com/de/raspber...7-display.html
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2017-01-13 at 08:53.

I recently bought some used Booms and Radios. The Radios are mainly for my children. Who can't yet read but they know the covers. One Radio is in the sleeping room another in the bathroom. Sound is fairly good , at least in those places. For kitchen my wife insisted in a Boom. The more powerful sound brings more joy to cooking and so. The 2 other Booms I bought as replacement.
    I'd say the Radio will be a good decision for your daughter. And yes I would still buy them.

Stereo can be achieved with a pair of Radios run synchronously with a few player settings
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1504317335 @ Mon Sep 4 07:13:56 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    If you want to buy something - i would look to some threads about rpi 7" Touch.
    That seems to be more a replacement for the Duet (or a Touch). However, I am looking for an all-in-one solution like the Boom.
    ---
    LMS 7.8. NAS: QNAP ARM. Streaming: Duet. Controller: Duet, Android Squeezer. Amp: Denon 3310. Speakers: Canton 2xM80 + 2xCM7 + 2xM20 + Sub Nubert.

Quote Originally Posted by Web_Engel View Post
    That seems to be more a replacement for the Duet (or a Touch). However, I am looking for an all-in-one solution like the Boom.
    Then grab yourself a boom
    or add something like that.

https://www.amazon.de/Cabstone-Sound...dp/B004OARYYW/

Its not all in one but working fine.

Another alternative is to use a speaker which is googlecast enabled ( https://www.google.com/chromecast/built-in/audio/ ) and use the Castbridge plugin. There are portable battery powered ones. They don't sell well so sometimes you can find a good offer I got a Sony SRS-X77 at 50% discount (sound is similar to a Boom).

With this sort of speaker you have flexibility - Googlecast, Airplay, Bluetooth, NFC, SpotifyConnect as well as LMS - portable, wifi .

This solution is not integrated so LMS control is via browser, smartphone,tablet, iPod Touch but since GoogleCast/Airplay enabled - phone/tablet have access to other non LMS supported apps to play through speaker.

Are the Boom and the Radio still valid choices today? Would current owners still buy them should they break? I mean, the Boom does not show cover art, the Radio is mono, so this is not state of the art anymore.
    Sure they are still valid choices - and I have already two spare Radios, just in case.
    And I don't care that the Radio is mono at the places where I use them (bathroom, kitchen, etc). They sound good enough there. And I appreciate both the color display and the hardware knobs and buttons.

the Radio is mono
    What benefit would stereo be if you don't have two speakers spaced wide enough apart?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    This solution is not integrated so LMS control is via browser, smartphone,tablet, iPod Touch but since GoogleCast/Airplay enabled - phone/tablet have access to other non LMS supported apps to play through speaker.
    What about the CastBridge addon that integrates Chromecasts into LMS as players?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6 mit Tapatalk
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)