Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Volume goes up & down without stopping Squeezebox Classic

My Squeezebox Classic volume is controlled by its own factory remote. Just today if I press the volume control and release, let's say down, the volume goes all the way to zero by itself. If I press the volume control up and release, the volume goes all the way to 100 all by itself. It is only by luck that I can stop this after about 10 button presses with volume staying at some random figure.

I have tried unplugging unit, the pressing "+" button technique and the "1" technique. The screen just flies through all the settings by itself.

iPeng on my iPad controls the volume OK but it is way easier and quicker to use my separate factory remote control.

Maddening! Any suggestions to stop this weird behavior? iMac Sierra 10.12.2

Thank you.

PS Although I have 3 Classics, 1 Touch, 1 Radio and 1 Transporter, I am still not that technical so please be kind on the instructions...
    Last edited by sflen; 2017-01-12 at 00:41.

Volume goes up & down without stopping Squeezebox Classic

> Maddening! Any suggestions to stop this weird behavior? iMac Sierra

Clean your IR remote. Most likely one of the buttons is stuck.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Maddening! Any suggestions to stop this weird behavior? iMac Sierra

Clean your IR remote. Most likely one of the buttons is stuck.

--

Michael
    Thank you! I found a post how to take it apart but way too tired to do it now (it's 1:30AM). I appreciate the response!

I will let you know of my success or lack thereof...

When I am tired - not really thinking clearly...

I have all this equipment and never did a basic test. The so-called 'bad' remote works fine with all my other Squeezebox units and the other remotes in the house cause the same weird behavior with flying volume only with my bedroom Classic. So it is not a remote problem but how the bedroom Classic reacts with any and all of my remote controls.

Great...

That sounds like a faulty IR sensor on the Classic itself then.
    I imagine in the Bedroom you want to use the remote rather than iPeng. You mentioned you had other Classics - perhaps swap its location with another that works OK where you don't need to control with a remote ?
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    That sounds like a faulty IR sensor on the Classic itself then.
    I imagine in the Bedroom you want to use the remote rather than iPeng. You mentioned you had other Classics - perhaps swap its location with another that works OK where you don't need to control with a remote ?
    Thank you for your response!

This has been a wild 36 hours. Not only do I have run-away volume but the same goes for the up & down arrow - songs in a playlist go by in a blur. The on/off button does not work either. Nothing slows down enough to do a proper reset of this Classic (the "+" technique). I will keep trying.

Luckily iPeng functions and controls this Classic. Feeling grateful to Pippin, the least I could do was to purchase the latest update to iPeng. It is great to have split view on my iPad!

As I have 2 factory remotes in the Bedroom, I will use, as replacements, my iPad Pro and an ancient iPod Touch where iPeng does just fine. If using these devices with my Classic gets too tedious, I will switch my Bedroom Classic with another Classic that is not used as much.

I also called Logitech support and put in my request for them to remake the Touch or Classic again. They replied that they have many requests for this.

Just annoying but in the end - I'll live...
    Last edited by sflen; 2017-01-12 at 20:15.

OP Update: All fixed!

The poor Classic has been in hibernation for months - would not even respond to unplugging the power and connecting again. I had already moved it to another room where it had been sitting totally gone. I took a chance and ordered a new power adapter (wall wart) for the misbehaving Classic: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I have no business or personal relationship with the vendor who BTW is extremely knowledgeable)

Plugged it in and instantly, all was fine. Back to life! No more wild displays. I figured that it was worth the $15 to take a chance that the power adapter was bad. And it was. I just ordered another one just in case I will need it in the future for my other Classics.

The usual caveat: your mileage may vary and just because this 'fix' worked for me does not mean it will work for you.
    Last edited by sflen; 2017-05-19 at 12:38.