Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Controller lost connection to my local Logitech Media Server - how to get it back

Has been working flawlessly for a year, then yesterday (a Monday) it could no longer connect to the local LMS. LMS running on a Windows7 PC, SP1, and the PC is on the network. Connection is wireless. Controller, PC and Squeezebox all show up on the network and are connected to it.

Diagnostics show:

Running 7.7.3.r16662 and the MAC address is displayed
    Network Health: All network tests passed successfully
    Wireless network wireless signal: 100%
    Server info: this shows the mysqueezebox.com address, Ping OK, TCP ports are OK, I'm informed I'm registered; Logitech Media Server: Not connected, Library name not connected, Ping: Not connected
    Networking: connected to the right network

I guess this could be due to Microsoft Security Essentials. I checked and LMS is allowed through the firewall, and all incoming Logitech communication is allowed, and the TCP is activated, and LMS is prioritized.

Under Software update it said "begin update (7.7.3 r16662)" and referred to the archive. Since it's already running this very software version, I didn't get why it was suggesting an update. Nevertheless, I accepted the update. No change.

So, any suggestions of how to get the connection to the local version of LMS?
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2017-01-10 at 08:06.

select "my music"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

If it were that easy I'd done it. The Controller shows a red antenna (as in no connection), while the wireless signal is 100% (and all the other etc, as described above), and the controller shows up on router, as does the Squeezebox.

In the old days I vaguely remember one had to be logged into mysqueezebox.com, but that isn't a requirement anymore afaik. Somehow I get the feeling this is a problem related to that. Why? Everything looks Ok. Under "diagnostics server info" while, the mysqueezebox.com keeps switching between different addresses. Ping is OK, TCP ports OK etc. Then under "Not connected" is LMS, Library name, ping, TCP ports... so there's something odd there.

EDIT: I looked into Networking (where the correct network is chosen), and there are two other headings, Remote Libraries and switch to mysqueezebox.com. Under Add new library I tried entering the library adress and the first 6 digit swere OK, but then I could only choose between 1 or 2 as the 7th digit. All my sources start with the digit 4 as the 7th digit. Exited. Switching to mysqueezebox.com is not possible either.

ENABLED SSH on the Controller, tried to log into it, but it doesn't show up from my PC (although it's visible on the router).
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2017-01-15 at 12:34.

Something is odd with your wifi or network .

The controller should be at the same network and subnet as the LMS if its running , and then the controller autodiscovers LMS and you can choose my music .

Network example 192.168.1.82 and subnet 255.255.255.0 these are 4 by 3 numbers they can be maximum 255 so the firts digit is always limited to 1 or 2 you may have to do like this 192.168.001.082 and put in the leading zeros .

Yes putting up your LMS as remote library i s a workaaround when port 3483 udp/tcp is blocked on the LMS machine it is the broadcast for server discovery (port 9000 is usually the web-UI)
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Something is odd with your wifi or network .

The controller should be at the same network and subnet as the LMS if its running , and then the controller autodiscovers LMS and you can choose my music .

Network example 192.168.1.82 and subnet 255.255.255.0 these are 4 by 3 numbers they can be maximum 255 so the firts digit is always limited to 1 or 2 you may have to do like this 192.168.001.082 and put in the leading zeros .

Yes putting up your LMS as remote library i s a workaaround when port 3483 udp/tcp is blocked on the LMS machine it is the broadcast for server discovery (port 9000 is usually the web-UI)
    Thank you. Well, according to the router the Controller is on the network, and according to the Controller, it's on the network, too. Since no libraries are registered, I chose Networking, Add New Library, with the intent of entering the library for LMS which is running. I entered the first 6 digits, 192.168, then I tried with the leading zeros. At least the correct number could now be added as a new library. Thank you for that. Still didn't work. I tried reinstalling the software, yet again. Then suddenly there were two Squeezeboxes showing up. One was working. Then reset the other, both working. Problem solved. I don't know how this happened though. Neither how the problem appeared, nor what it was that got it working again. Anyway, thank you for your assistance.
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2017-01-16 at 01:43.

Turned on my second Duet Receiver, changed its name, played music, it goes blue

So, back in Squeezeboxland. Turned on my second Receiver with my Controller. Got it to connect. Changed its name from the generic "Squeezebox Receiver" to a location based name. Played some music. Saw it appear on the LMS PC interface. Then all of a sudden the Receiver turns blue. I get it to connect again. The generic "Squeezebox Receiver" name is back. This is odd. I've seen it saved, both on the Controller and on the PC. Seems like the Receiver either didn't get programmed, or overwrites whatever has been entered. Ok. Got it up and running yet again. Changed the name, again. Started playing music, again. Saw it on the network, and on LMS, again. It plays two songs, then goes blue. Receiver doesn't seem to like name changes. In the user guide it says it may be firewall related. Then I noticed it said something about Region, under networks, on the Controller, USA and Europe, or something like that. I hadn't selected apparently. OK, so picked Europe. The Controller went into a fit starting to try connect to the network (it was already connected), looping, showing the antenna, red, then spinning arrow for quite a while. Yes, so back to square one. Non working connected Controller, and Squeezebox Receiver.

EDIT: Turned on the Controller today and it's working. The Receiver has been playing music today, then playing up, losing connection after 14 minutes online. It went into blue, then green once. I removed it from the network, and added it again. Started working. Played a couple of songs, then it went blue. Supposedly this means it's on the network waiting to be connected to a music source. Not the case because the router, this time, doesn't display the Receiver any longer... 10 minutes later, it's green, but the router does not show that the Receiver is attempting to contact, and the network is open. I do other stuff for about half an hour. Upon my return, yay, the Receiver is white, and online. It's confirmed by the router... 5 minutes later music is playing. We'll see for how long before it drops out again.

I activate the Receiver from my Controller and the Receiver goes blue immediately, as in connected but waiting to connect to . However while it previously was on-line according to both the white lamp, and according to Router, it no longer is. Flaky. And a few hours later, the blue has turned white on its own, the Router shows the Receiver as online (and added by the router), and as soon as I activate the Receiver via the Controller, blue light is on. Since I have another receiver which works, seems unlikely that it is either router or PC creating these problems. I probably have to dig up some sort of log.
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2017-01-16 at 12:19.

Inexplicably and on its own it's back and everything is hunky dory. I didn't do a thing, so can't explain what or why. It does seem to dislike renaming the Receiver. If I rename it, it turns on, shows up on the PC/web interface, plays for a little while, then stops and is incommunicable, only to come back after a day or two, with the old name.
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2017-01-22 at 03:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgety1 View Post
    Inexcplicably and on its own it's back and everything is hunky dory. I didn't do a thing, so can't explaind what or why. It does seem to dislike renaming the Receiver. If I rename it, it turns on, shows up on the PC/web interface, plays for a little while, then stops and is incommunicable, only to come back after a day or two, with the old name.
    and is it really registred to your mysqueezebox.com account and not the previus owner .

When on LMS it should show in mysqueezebox.com but not "connected" but it should be there , if you cant tell them appart the mac adress is exposed in the web page and also in the information tab in LMS and on the sticker of the reciver .
    If you switch a reciever over to mysqueezebox.com does it apaer in your acount ? do reckon any of the installed apps etc .

Have you configured your mysqueezebox.com acount in LMS (there is a tab for that ) . The thing is that there is a settings synchronisation between your local LMS server and your online account . And LMS also fetches apps and radio functiuonality from mysqueezebox.com

For your home network dont block things by mac id btw and observer that the controller has it own mac , so its two devices.

Did you buy your recievers used ?

I'm the first owner, but it was set up using another PC, no longer in service. Bought them new... 9 years ago. Didn't use them for a long while, and when I restarted I seem to remember I didn't need to use MySqueezebox.com to use them (I think it was a change in the software enabling this). Both Receivers show up on MySqueezebox.com, both "Not Connected". The name for the one playing up with the name change is different here from the name I'm trying to give it. It is also different from the name that it keeps taking on, a generic "Squeezebox Receiver." I can log into MySqueezebox.com. The LMS [local I assume] server settings tab for mysqueezebox.com requires me to enter the email and password. I do, but the software keeps blanking it out. I can see that the mysqueezebox.com-integration is activated. I have a long list of active plugin-programs, but I know for a fact, I didn't select or activate all of them. Perhaps these were active by default when I installed v 7.7.3 which I'm running currently?
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2017-01-23 at 04:32.

LMS showing blank password for MySB.com Settings tab is normal and expected (though silly). Any mention of "invalid login" on that LMS page?
    Try switching both players to MySB.com (no LMS). Do both show up as "Connected"?