Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSmedra View Post
    Is it correct to assume the TIDAL app for Squeezebox needs to be modified to allow MQA files to flow through? Or is that already the case? If so, then all that's necessary is an MQA-certified DAC with either optical or coaxial digital input. I do know that Squeezebox digital output bypasses the built-in DAC.

The best SQT users, without a MQA-certified DAC, can hope to hear is a 1/3 unfolded MQA file.
    Point 1 - yes agree, or USB via edo in the case of the 'current until end of January' ú130 fully MQA enabled Meridian Explorer2.

Point 2 - still 24/96 streamed content however, lets not forget this would have been have been nirvana 2 years ago.

Lee

I never really understood Logitech's business decision to cease production of the Squeezebox line or not sell the rights and patents. Logitech's employees are tight-lipped. Maybe audio engineers are too high priced?

I could be wrong, but I see a huge potential market for an MQA-certified Squeezebox Touch with a $299 price point. It's only a matter of time until some entrepreneur/venture capital group fills this space, imo.
    Considering that any decent Hi End streamer cost at least 800 $ and none of them is as capable of half the things the SBT can do with all its 3rd party apps, there is a huge market for a re-issue of SBT even without MQA.
    Support for higher sample rates (196/24, 382/24) and support for DSD would be a valuable bonus.

I could be wrong, but I see a huge potential market for an MQA-certified Squeezebox Touch with a $299 price point.
    You are assuming two things- 1) that MQA licensing fees would be low enough to allow a $299 price point, and 2) that MQA certification would somehow significantly increase sales of the device.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by hidef View Post
    Support for higher sample rates (196/24, 382/24) and support for DSD would be a valuable bonus.
    Neither really make sense in a network/stream product, considering it would be a huge waste of bandwidth.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRankin View Post
    The touch as an end point does seem capable, it's the backend that is preventing MQA goodness.
    I assume that is a licensing issue.

Also is "Default Adjustment for Remote Streams" set to zero in the player settings if you want bitperfect ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

MQA via Tidal

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Also is "Default Adjustment for Remote Streams" set to zero in the player settings if you want bitperfect ?
    Yes, checked this last night. No dsp settings active.

Also - locally stored MQA files are passing through LMS into the touch and out into the Explorer via EDO exactly as they should. Ie blue light illustrating full fat MQA. This suggests not an LMS issue per se, but a Tidal app integration issue unless I am missing something else?

lee

MQA A/B Test

With the launch of the modified TIDAL desktop app (Windows & Mac), I bypassed my SBT and did a listening comparison between native, non-MQA files (44.1kHz / 16 bit / 1411kbps - HiFi) and the newly-released HiFi/Master MQA files.

The difference was easily heard. The sound quality of the MQA file is 'cleaner' with greater spatial texture. Without an MQA-certified DAC, the TIDAL app decodes/unfolds only 1X, of a possible 4X. However, these MQA files do benefit, to my ears, from the frontend deblurring audio technology as well.

I do hope TIDAL will help modify our current MySqueezebox TIDAL app to match their desktop software. This would extend the life of this Logitech product just a bit farther and help prove the veracity of MQA.
    Last edited by DanSmedra; 2017-02-06 at 17:56.
    Source: TIDAL HiFi, Pandora One > MySqueezebox.com using iPeng 9.2.1 app on iPhone6s/iPad
    Great Room: SB Touch(1) > AudioQuest TOS > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy 10' cables > 200w powered Martin Logan (ML) Purity speakers, SB Touch(2) >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.
    Garage: SB Touch(3) > CullenCoax > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > ML Motion 12
    Carry Anywhere: TIDAL >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini BT speaker.
    Streaming Media: https://www.facebook.com/groups/535747176592597/

Do you know that the MQA files were from the same master and EQ'd and level adjusted the same as the non-MQA files?

I recommend psychological counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Do you know that the MQA files were from the same master and EQ'd and level adjusted the same as the on-MQA files?
    Of course not. Why would I make that assumption? And why would I even care? I stream music exclusively. I'm NOT going to invest in hi-res singles/albums, period. Neither do I have a financial interest in any company that sells high-end hardware or music. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

If TIDAL uses a higher-quality archived source to fill out its MQA streaming library and it produces better fidelity/sound quality to MY ears on MY system, I don't give a rat's a$$ what's happening on the back end. I'm getting greater enjoyment for the same subscription price. And again...I've heard it in my own living room using MQA's deblurr and a single decode.

But I can understand why not a few high-end audiophiles might be emotionally vexed. Over decades, they drop tens of thousands of dollars, or far more, into esoteric equipment, always tweaking, and an equal amount of dollars into various hi-res format libraries in hopes of having the biggest sound PHALLUS with the goal to impress...maybe their primal Mother in hopes of re-living unconditional love?

But then along comes Bob Stuart with MQA, and with the tangible possibility that great studio-quality STREAMING music could be enjoyed by anyone with a modest system...well yes, I'm sure that's scary.
    Last edited by DanSmedra; 2017-02-06 at 10:34.
    Source: TIDAL HiFi, Pandora One > MySqueezebox.com using iPeng 9.2.1 app on iPhone6s/iPad
    Great Room: SB Touch(1) > AudioQuest TOS > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy 10' cables > 200w powered Martin Logan (ML) Purity speakers, SB Touch(2) >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.
    Garage: SB Touch(3) > CullenCoax > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > ML Motion 12
    Carry Anywhere: TIDAL >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini BT speaker.
    Streaming Media: https://www.facebook.com/groups/535747176592597/