Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonM
    • Apr 2008

DVD Audio

I know this is off-topic, but I'll seek wisdom anyway. Technically, it's a topic better suited to the ripping/encoding forum, but since the query is not about using LMS I'll post it here. Ignore if you want.

I was looking at the new posts in the albums of the year thread, and re-read my post of last year. It reminded me of ELP's Trilogy recording and the remaster I bought in 2015. One of the discs in the package was a DVD that contained a high-res 5.1 mix of the album. Since I've been ripping DVD's to my server (same one as running LMS) and streaming them to my home theatre, I thought I'd do that with this one, so I could listen to it in surround without bothering with the disc. This would take me back to a concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, where we had obscure seats in the grays. Which were obstructed. An usher reseated us on the floor, within the space defined by speakers in the corners. The original surround sound.

Anyway, it seems that the DVD is DVD Audio (it's labelled as such), not regular DVD. I thought DVD-A was long gone but apparently not. In any event, my regular DVD ripping software seems not to work with DVD-A, and I can't figure out how to get the audio out into an MP4. The disc plays fine on my Samsung mid-tier BluRay player, which I didn't even know had DVD-A capability. I actually thought that perhaps the disk was "dual" with regular DVD sound, but if so my ripping software can't find it.

Any advice?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
  • d6jg
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by RonM
    I know this is off-topic, but I'll seek wisdom anyway. Technically, it's a topic better suited to the ripping/encoding forum, but since the query is not about using LMS I'll post it here. Ignore if you want.

I was looking at the new posts in the albums of the year thread, and re-read my post of last year. It reminded me of ELP's Trilogy recording and the remaster I bought in 2015. One of the discs in the package was a DVD that contained a high-res 5.1 mix of the album. Since I've been ripping DVD's to my server (same one as running LMS) and streaming them to my home theatre, I thought I'd do that with this one, so I could listen to it in surround without bothering with the disc. This would take me back to a concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, where we had obscure seats in the grays. Which were obstructed. An usher reseated us on the floor, within the space defined by speakers in the corners. The original surround sound.

Anyway, it seems that the DVD is DVD Audio (it's labelled as such), not regular DVD. I thought DVD-A was long gone but apparently not. In any event, my regular DVD ripping software seems not to work with DVD-A, and I can't figure out how to get the audio out into an MP4. The disc plays fine on my Samsung mid-tier BluRay player, which I didn't even know had DVD-A capability. I actually thought that perhaps the disk was "dual" with regular DVD sound, but if so my ripping software can't find it.

Any advice?

R.
    I don't know the answert Ron but there is a thread on the subject of DVD audio in "Ripping" - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...D-Music-Videos - may be worth a browse through
    Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• ian_heys

Pretty sure I used DVD Audio Extractor when I ripped the few that I had back in the day. Link is in post 36 of thread mentioned in previous message.

They were only two track files though and I seem to have sanitized the comments in the meta data to say "DVD-A Recording" on all of them - so no help there then.

Comment

• quadronado
        • Aug 2013

I buy new DVD Audio discs nearly every month. There a many releases of 70s prog-rock albums these days (ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, Gentle Giant, http://www.dvd-a.net/)

Anyway, here's how I rip them for my Squeezebox Touch:
        • Open The DVD Audio in „DVD Audio Extractor“ (http://www.dvdae.com/)
        • choose DTS (6Ch) Track and click Next
        • choose „CD Image and Cuesheet“, select „Create DTS-CD“ and click Next
        • choose an output location and click Next
        • click Start

You'll get two files: a *.dtswav file and a *.cue file.
        • Rename the *.dtswav file to *.wav
        • you can convert the file to flac with a programm like foobar
        • you can split the file with a programm like cuetools (but you will get gaps with the Squeezebox)
        • you can tag the file - but make shure that you don't add replaygain tags!

The quality will be reduced, so there might be better ways to do it. But you can listen to the 5.1 file on a squeezebox touch
        Last edited by quadronado; 2017-01-04, 08:20.
        Some of my spotify playlists: Joni Mitchell covered - Johnny Cash originals

Comment

• RonM
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by quadronado
          I buy new DVD Audio discs nearly every month. There a many releases of 70s prog-rock albums these days (ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, Gentle Giant, http://www.dvd-a.net/)

Anyway, here's how I rip them for my Squeezebox Touch:
          • Open The DVD Audio in „DVD Audio Extractor“ (http://www.dvdae.com/)
          • choose DTS (6Ch) Track and click Next
          • choose „CD Image and Cuesheet“, select „Create DTS-CD“ and click Next
          • choose an output location and click Next
          • click Start

You'll get two files: a *.dtswav file and a *.cue file.
          • Rename the *.dtswav file to *.wav
          • you can convert the file to flac with a programm like foobar
          • you can split the file with a programm like cuetools (but you will get gaps with the Squeezebox)
          • you can tag the file - but make shure that you don't add replaygain tags!

The quality will be reduced, so there might be better ways to do it. But you can listen to the 5.1 file on a squeezebox touch
          Awesome! I hadn't realized that the Touch supported 5.1. What is the best output to the receiver to use?

I regulaly use DAE so that's a comfort.

Still would be.nice if there were a way to extract the audio files and put them in an mp4 container.

R.
          Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
          Touch x 1 - spare
          UE Radio x 1 - spare
          Boom x 1 - spare
          Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• Mnyb
            • Feb 2006

Dts or ac3 ( dolby ) is always supported on any spdiff toslink .

Provided .

The receiver can read and understand such a stream , ht reciever or similar.

100% volume and no rg.

You will get just noise on the analog out .

Lms and squeezeboxes dont do 5.1 they think its just any lossles flac/wav .
            You use the flac/wav file as a container for dts ac3.

A single spdiff dont support discrete multichannel for that you need hdmi.

Multichannel has not yet been developed for lms .
            Suported player would be some software that could use a hdmi out on for example a rpi3.

Mch LMS and mch squeezelite we had this dialog before, I think we are like 10-20 interested ,not many whith dev skills.
            So using the dts route is the current solution.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
            Bedroom/Office: Boom
            Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
            Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
            iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
            (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
            server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• quadronado
              • Aug 2013

Awesome! I hadn't realized that the Touch supported 5.1. What is the best output to the receiver to use?
              Like Mnyb said, you should use a spdif output.

I regulaly use DAE so that's a comfort.
              I don't know what DAE is. Is it a software like DVD Audio Extractor? Might work as well.

Still would be.nice if there were a way to extract the audio files and put them in an mp4 container.
              Maybe there's a way to put the audio files in an mp4 container, but I'm not shure if it's playable with a Squeezebox. You could try it.

Comment

• RonM
                • Apr 2008

Like Mnyb said, you should use a spdif output.

I don't know what DAE is. Is it a software like DVD Audio Extractor? Might work as well.

Maybe there's a way to put the audio files in an mp4 container, but I'm not shure if it's playable with a Squeezebox. You could try it.
                This started out as off topic, I wasn't intending to play through the Touch in the first place, rather as a DVD-like stream using the Samsung streaming utility. Hence the original intention to rip to MP4.

I used shorthand -- DVD Audio Extractor = DAE. Sorry for confusion.

Not sure if my older Sony AV Receiver will support this solution, but I'll fiddle and see.

Thanks again!

R.

ps -- I presume if I use optical or coax spdif outs from the Touch to the corresponding ins on the receiver, I'll still be able to use the analog outs. I'm quite sure the Touch's DAC is better than the one on my old receiver, which is why I'm using analog outs now. Be a pity if I could only connect analog OR digital.
                Last edited by RonM; 2017-01-05, 15:49.
                Touch x 1 - spare
                UE Radio x 1 - spare
                Boom x 1 - spare
                Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• quadronado
                  • Aug 2013

This started out as off topic, I wasn't intending to play through the Touch in the first place, rather as a DVD-like stream using the Samsung streaming utility. Hence the original intention to rip to MP4.
                  OK, in this case my solution is not suitable for you. But the programm (DVD Audio Extractor) might work with other settings.

I used shorthand -- DVD Audio Extractor = DAE. Sorry for confusion.
                  Ups, sorry, I'm really bad in recognicing acronyms.

Comment

• RonM
                    • Apr 2008

No problem. The solution proposed might actually be better than ripping to mp4, and would allow me just to use LMS through the Touch with different outputs to the receiver. When I have the time to fiddle I will.

R.
                    Touch x 1 - spare
                    UE Radio x 1 - spare
                    Boom x 1 - spare
                    Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• quadronado
                      • Aug 2013

you can split the file with a programm like cuetools (but you will get gaps with the Squeezebox)
                      I finally realized that my 5.1-Files always will be played with gaps, even if I don't split the file and use one audio-file and a cue-file.
                      Has anyone managed to play 5.1-Files gapless on the Sqeezebox Touch?

Comment

• emalvick
                        • Dec 2009

I finally realized that my 5.1-Files always will be played with gaps, even if I don't split the file and use one audio-file and a cue-file.
                        Has anyone managed to play 5.1-Files gapless on the Sqeezebox Touch?
                        I've been able to do it through a Duet, so I would think it should work with a touch.

Have you ever tried a different disk just to be certain it isn't the album itself? Or perhaps there is something with the Cue file. Maybe the cue file added pauses? I think that can be done, so maybe it needs to be edited to remove pauses?

Comment

• quadronado
                          • Aug 2013

Which program did you use to rip the dvd-audio? Did you have to edit the cue-file? As mentioned above, I used the DVD Audio Extractor and I unticked the Option to have a gap of 2 Seconds. But there is always a gap about 1 or 2 ms (not seconds). Very disturbing. It should be gapless according to the cue file. And all of the disc play gapless when I use my DVD Audio/Blu-Ray Player.
                          Last edited by quadronado; 2017-10-21, 05:09.

Comment

• emalvick
                            • Dec 2009

I honestly don't remember the whole process I used. It has been quite a while since I've gone through the process, and at the time, I think it was a rather tedious series of steps. The software for the process wasn't that developed, so it took some scripting and some Excel work.

The process went something like this:

1. Rip audio into one file (perhaps with DAE). This file would take the multiple-channel OR hi-def audio and put it into an SPDIF format (this would be a WAV file, which would sound like static on the desktop or even if played through a Squeezebox device).
                            2. Develop Cue file. This was actually done separately using a little Excel file someone had developed.
                            (a) From DAE or other software, the time and frames for the file splits were copied and then pasted into the spreadsheet. This was the basis for the CUE file
                            (b) A little Macro (or PERL script) tweaked the CUE file so that the track breaks were right on a frame boundary. This was a key step because if the CUE breaks at a spot that is not on a frame boundary you end up with a small pause, perhaps the 2 ms one you are seeing.
                            What happens is the software reading the cue file will pad the time until the next frame is over with blank space.
                            3. Convert the final audio file into FLAC, add tags, and adjust the CUE sheet to match the file name(s).

I used to split the files and had a PERL file that would create a track for each track in the CUE file. However, with out without that step, if I skipped the 2(b) step, the CUE files would inevitably add noticeable pauses to every track (they were worse when splitting the file up). I would use this process for concert videos, where the pause would really be noticeable.

I've not really gone through the process more recently to the point where I am not sure I have all the files I used to use. I've meant to go through it again because while I don't have any new DVD-Audio disks, I do have a lot of BluRay disks, which I would love to get the audio off.

Comment

Working...