Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Audio

DVD Audio

I know this is off-topic, but I'll seek wisdom anyway. Technically, it's a topic better suited to the ripping/encoding forum, but since the query is not about using LMS I'll post it here. Ignore if you want.

I was looking at the new posts in the albums of the year thread, and re-read my post of last year. It reminded me of ELP's Trilogy recording and the remaster I bought in 2015. One of the discs in the package was a DVD that contained a high-res 5.1 mix of the album. Since I've been ripping DVD's to my server (same one as running LMS) and streaming them to my home theatre, I thought I'd do that with this one, so I could listen to it in surround without bothering with the disc. This would take me back to a concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, where we had obscure seats in the grays. Which were obstructed. An usher reseated us on the floor, within the space defined by speakers in the corners. The original surround sound.

Anyway, it seems that the DVD is DVD Audio (it's labelled as such), not regular DVD. I thought DVD-A was long gone but apparently not. In any event, my regular DVD ripping software seems not to work with DVD-A, and I can't figure out how to get the audio out into an MP4. The disc plays fine on my Samsung mid-tier BluRay player, which I didn't even know had DVD-A capability. I actually thought that perhaps the disk was "dual" with regular DVD sound, but if so my ripping software can't find it.

Any advice?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I know this is off-topic, but I'll seek wisdom anyway. Technically, it's a topic better suited to the ripping/encoding forum, but since the query is not about using LMS I'll post it here. Ignore if you want.

I was looking at the new posts in the albums of the year thread, and re-read my post of last year. It reminded me of ELP's Trilogy recording and the remaster I bought in 2015. One of the discs in the package was a DVD that contained a high-res 5.1 mix of the album. Since I've been ripping DVD's to my server (same one as running LMS) and streaming them to my home theatre, I thought I'd do that with this one, so I could listen to it in surround without bothering with the disc. This would take me back to a concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, where we had obscure seats in the grays. Which were obstructed. An usher reseated us on the floor, within the space defined by speakers in the corners. The original surround sound.

Anyway, it seems that the DVD is DVD Audio (it's labelled as such), not regular DVD. I thought DVD-A was long gone but apparently not. In any event, my regular DVD ripping software seems not to work with DVD-A, and I can't figure out how to get the audio out into an MP4. The disc plays fine on my Samsung mid-tier BluRay player, which I didn't even know had DVD-A capability. I actually thought that perhaps the disk was "dual" with regular DVD sound, but if so my ripping software can't find it.

Any advice?

R.
    I don't know the answert Ron but there is a thread on the subject of DVD audio in "Ripping" - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...D-Music-Videos - may be worth a browse through
    Pi3 pCp/LMS storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Pretty sure I used DVD Audio Extractor when I ripped the few that I had back in the day. Link is in post 36 of thread mentioned in previous message.

They were only two track files though and I seem to have sanitized the comments in the meta data to say "DVD-A Recording" on all of them - so no help there then.

Name:  Carly1.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  18.3 KBName:  Carly2.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  29.6 KB
    Music Store: Synology DS215J NAS
    Home Server/Player:
    LMS 7.9.1 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.22 Server/IQAudio DAC+/Amp+
    Portable Server/Player: LMS 7.9.1 on HP-DV2700 Laptop/Ubuntu 17.10 with synced music drive.
    Homeplug LAN Players: Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.22/HDMI/Jivelite, Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC
    UPNP Wifi Players: Chromecast Audio, Revo Super-Connect Radio, GGMM-E5 portable
    VPN Player: SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

I buy new DVD Audio discs nearly every month. There a many releases of 70s prog-rock albums these days (ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, Gentle Giant, http://www.dvd-a.net/)

Anyway, here's how I rip them for my Squeezebox Touch:

• Open The DVD Audio in „DVD Audio Extractor“ (http://www.dvdae.com/)
    • choose DTS (6Ch) Track and click Next
    • choose „CD Image and Cuesheet“, select „Create DTS-CD“ and click Next
    • choose an output location and click Next
    • click Start

You'll get two files: a *.dtswav file and a *.cue file.
    • Rename the *.dtswav file to *.wav
    • you can convert the file to flac with a programm like foobar
    • you can split the file with a programm like cuetools (but you will get gaps with the Squeezebox)
    • you can tag the file - but make shure that you don't add replaygain tags!

The quality will be reduced, so there might be better ways to do it. But you can listen to the 5.1 file on a squeezebox touch
    Last edited by quadronado; 2017-01-04 at 01:20.

Quote Originally Posted by quadronado View Post
    I buy new DVD Audio discs nearly every month. There a many releases of 70s prog-rock albums these days (ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, Gentle Giant, http://www.dvd-a.net/)

Anyway, here's how I rip them for my Squeezebox Touch:

• Open The DVD Audio in „DVD Audio Extractor“ (http://www.dvdae.com/)
    • choose DTS (6Ch) Track and click Next
    • choose „CD Image and Cuesheet“, select „Create DTS-CD“ and click Next
    • choose an output location and click Next
    • click Start

You'll get two files: a *.dtswav file and a *.cue file.
    • Rename the *.dtswav file to *.wav
    • you can convert the file to flac with a programm like foobar
    • you can split the file with a programm like cuetools (but you will get gaps with the Squeezebox)
    • you can tag the file - but make shure that you don't add replaygain tags!

The quality will be reduced, so there might be better ways to do it. But you can listen to the 5.1 file on a squeezebox touch
    Awesome! I hadn't realized that the Touch supported 5.1. What is the best output to the receiver to use?

I regulaly use DAE so that's a comfort.

Still would be.nice if there were a way to extract the audio files and put them in an mp4 container.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Dts or ac3 ( dolby ) is always supported on any spdiff toslink .

Provided .

The receiver can read and understand such a stream , ht reciever or similar.

100% volume and no rg.

You will get just noise on the analog out .

Lms and squeezeboxes dont do 5.1 they think its just any lossles flac/wav .
    You use the flac/wav file as a container for dts ac3.

A single spdiff dont support discrete multichannel for that you need hdmi.

Multichannel has not yet been developed for lms .
    Suported player would be some software that could use a hdmi out on for example a rpi3.

Mch LMS and mch squeezelite we had this dialog before, I think we are like 10-20 interested ,not many whith dev skills.
    So using the dts route is the current solution.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Awesome! I hadn't realized that the Touch supported 5.1. What is the best output to the receiver to use?
    Like Mnyb said, you should use a spdif output.

I regulaly use DAE so that's a comfort.
    I don't know what DAE is. Is it a software like DVD Audio Extractor? Might work as well.

Still would be.nice if there were a way to extract the audio files and put them in an mp4 container.
    Maybe there's a way to put the audio files in an mp4 container, but I'm not shure if it's playable with a Squeezebox. You could try it.

Quote Originally Posted by quadronado View Post
    Like Mnyb said, you should use a spdif output.

I don't know what DAE is. Is it a software like DVD Audio Extractor? Might work as well.

Maybe there's a way to put the audio files in an mp4 container, but I'm not shure if it's playable with a Squeezebox. You could try it.
    This started out as off topic, I wasn't intending to play through the Touch in the first place, rather as a DVD-like stream using the Samsung streaming utility. Hence the original intention to rip to MP4.

I used shorthand -- DVD Audio Extractor = DAE. Sorry for confusion.

Not sure if my older Sony AV Receiver will support this solution, but I'll fiddle and see.

Thanks again!

R.

ps -- I presume if I use optical or coax spdif outs from the Touch to the corresponding ins on the receiver, I'll still be able to use the analog outs. I'm quite sure the Touch's DAC is better than the one on my old receiver, which is why I'm using analog outs now. Be a pity if I could only connect analog OR digital.
    Last edited by RonM; 2017-01-05 at 08:49.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

This started out as off topic, I wasn't intending to play through the Touch in the first place, rather as a DVD-like stream using the Samsung streaming utility. Hence the original intention to rip to MP4.
    OK, in this case my solution is not suitable for you. But the programm (DVD Audio Extractor) might work with other settings.

I used shorthand -- DVD Audio Extractor = DAE. Sorry for confusion.
    Ups, sorry, I'm really bad in recognicing acronyms.

No problem. The solution proposed might actually be better than ripping to mp4, and would allow me just to use LMS through the Touch with different outputs to the receiver. When I have the time to fiddle I will.

R.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)