Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD Audio

Quote Originally Posted by quadronado View Post
    you can split the file with a programm like cuetools (but you will get gaps with the Squeezebox)
    I finally realized that my 5.1-Files always will be played with gaps, even if I don't split the file and use one audio-file and a cue-file.
    Has anyone managed to play 5.1-Files gapless on the Sqeezebox Touch?
    Some of my spotify playlists: Joni Mitchell covered - Johnny Cash originals

Quote Originally Posted by quadronado View Post
    I finally realized that my 5.1-Files always will be played with gaps, even if I don't split the file and use one audio-file and a cue-file.
    Has anyone managed to play 5.1-Files gapless on the Sqeezebox Touch?
    I've been able to do it through a Duet, so I would think it should work with a touch.

Have you ever tried a different disk just to be certain it isn't the album itself? Or perhaps there is something with the Cue file. Maybe the cue file added pauses? I think that can be done, so maybe it needs to be edited to remove pauses?

Which program did you use to rip the dvd-audio? Did you have to edit the cue-file? As mentioned above, I used the DVD Audio Extractor and I unticked the Option to have a gap of 2 Seconds. But there is always a gap about 1 or 2 ms (not seconds). Very disturbing. It should be gapless according to the cue file. And all of the disc play gapless when I use my DVD Audio/Blu-Ray Player.
    Last edited by quadronado; 2017-10-20 at 21:09.
    Some of my spotify playlists: Joni Mitchell covered - Johnny Cash originals

I honestly don't remember the whole process I used. It has been quite a while since I've gone through the process, and at the time, I think it was a rather tedious series of steps. The software for the process wasn't that developed, so it took some scripting and some Excel work.

The process went something like this:

1. Rip audio into one file (perhaps with DAE). This file would take the multiple-channel OR hi-def audio and put it into an SPDIF format (this would be a WAV file, which would sound like static on the desktop or even if played through a Squeezebox device).
    2. Develop Cue file. This was actually done separately using a little Excel file someone had developed.
    (a) From DAE or other software, the time and frames for the file splits were copied and then pasted into the spreadsheet. This was the basis for the CUE file
    (b) A little Macro (or PERL script) tweaked the CUE file so that the track breaks were right on a frame boundary. This was a key step because if the CUE breaks at a spot that is not on a frame boundary you end up with a small pause, perhaps the 2 ms one you are seeing.
    What happens is the software reading the cue file will pad the time until the next frame is over with blank space.
    3. Convert the final audio file into FLAC, add tags, and adjust the CUE sheet to match the file name(s).

I used to split the files and had a PERL file that would create a track for each track in the CUE file. However, with out without that step, if I skipped the 2(b) step, the CUE files would inevitably add noticeable pauses to every track (they were worse when splitting the file up). I would use this process for concert videos, where the pause would really be noticeable.

I've not really gone through the process more recently to the point where I am not sure I have all the files I used to use. I've meant to go through it again because while I don't have any new DVD-Audio disks, I do have a lot of BluRay disks, which I would love to get the audio off.