Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    5

    New NAS - Qnap TS-251

    Hi- I just replaced my ReadyNAS with a Qnap TS-251. I would like to run LMS using this new NAS. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jeff07971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by alanslim View Post
    Hi- I just replaced my ReadyNAS with a Qnap TS-251. I would like to run LMS using this new NAS. Any suggestions?
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post829682
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

    Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by alanslim View Post
    Hi- I just replaced my ReadyNAS with a Qnap TS-251. I would like to run LMS using this new NAS. Any suggestions?

    don't bother, get a pi 3 and put lms on that, enjoy all the spare time you have saved by this option

    Ronnie

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    don't bother, get a pi 3 and put lms on that, enjoy all the spare time you have saved by this option

    Ronnie
    He means - use the NAS to store your files but use a Raspberry Pi to run LMS and point it at the NAS.

    It isn't impossible to run LMS on a QNAP but it is very difficult to update LMS on it when it needs updating and certain things are prone to problem e.g. Spotify.
    These issues don't exist if you use a Pi with piCorePlayer installed and run LMS on it.
    Going the Pi + QNAP route means upgrading is easy, Spotify works but your music is safely on your QNAP.
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

  5. #5
    Senior Member Swiftie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alton, Hampshire (UK)
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    ... use the NAS to store your files but use a Raspberry Pi to run LMS and point it at the NAS ...
    I have no experience of pointing LMS at a NAS. Do you do this by mounting the NAS as a regular drive in the Pi, or is LMS capable of running directly from a networked drive?

    Does this setup require an existing network? Even just an old router? I'm planning to install my Synology DS213air in our holiday cottage, which has no network, no landline. The Synology provides its own WiFi access point if that helps!

    Incidentally, I have no experience of a Pi, and at my age my technical skills are dwindling rapidly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftie View Post
    I have no experience of pointing LMS at a NAS. Do you do this by mounting the NAS as a regular drive in the Pi, or is LMS capable of running directly from a networked drive?

    Does this setup require an existing network? Even just an old router? I'm planning to install my Synology DS213air in our holiday cottage, which has no network, no landline. The Synology provides its own WiFi access point if that helps!

    Incidentally, I have no experience of a Pi, and at my age my technical skills are dwindling rapidly.
    i thought you said Qnap?
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

  7. #7
    Senior Member Swiftie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alton, Hampshire (UK)
    Posts
    360
    The OP said QNAP, but since I have a similar question, I rudely butted in.

    However, answers about the Pi and/or having a local network would be relevant to both QNAP and my Synology, so would save effort...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,818
    You need a network to use a Pi + NAS.

    As the Pi is going to run LMS it should be wired - the general rule for all servers is that they should be wired.

    Typically you would have a router (wi fi or otherwise), you would have the NAS plugged in to one LAN port and the Pi into another, players if wired into another or wireless if its available / stable enough.

    You store your music on the NAS lets say in the typical QNAP structure of /Multimedia/Music

    Personally I then have

    /Multimedia/Music/Flac
    /Multimedia/Music/MP3
    etc

    You install piCorePlayer onto Pi - simply a case of copying a file to an SD card and then putting it into the Pi
    You then configure the Pi to mount /Multimedia/Music as an SMB mount point called /Music - full instructions are on picoreplayers site
    Then you run connect to http://pi-ip-address:9000 and run the setup wizard and tell it your library is at /Music
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    You need a network to use a Pi + NAS.

    As the Pi is going to run LMS it should be wired - the general rule for all servers is that they should be wired.

    Typically you would have a router (wi fi or otherwise), you would have the NAS plugged in to one LAN port and the Pi into another, players if wired into another or wireless if its available / stable enough.

    You store your music on the NAS lets say in the typical QNAP structure of /Multimedia/Music

    Personally I then have

    /Multimedia/Music/Flac
    /Multimedia/Music/MP3
    etc

    You install piCorePlayer onto Pi - simply a case of copying a file to an SD card and then putting it into the Pi
    You then configure the Pi to mount /Multimedia/Music as an SMB mount point called /Music - full instructions are on picoreplayers site
    Then you run connect to http://pi-ip-address:9000 and run the setup wizard and tell it your library is at /Music

    Post of the week

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Post of the week
    Thank you Ronnie
    Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
    Office - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •