Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Another Ethernet Connection Problem

I did search on this before posting, but it seems other folk's problems were due to using repeaters or bridges. I'm just doing a plain old connection to my router. I just got this unit after frying my old one using the wrong power supply, but my old one did work fine with ethernet.

Wifi works fine with this one, but it doesn't recognize the ethernet connection. I tried the usual things: factory reset; reboot router; tested ethernet cable (same one from before anyway); tried different port on router; downloaded latest firmware. Firmware is now 7.7.3. When I first booted this up after unboxing, the screen showed 'enhanced digital output'; it doesn't show that now probably due to the firmware update. I contacted the seller, and he ONLY used it with ethernet, so it was working for him. Btw, this unit is VERY clean and came with original packaging...well taken care of.

Any ideas? With newer firmware, is there an extra step needed? I read in some other posts about DHCP issues, but not sure if that applies to me with this very basic connection, and I didn't have to do anything special before. I will say that the plug on the cable seems to fit rather loosely into the jack on the SBT, but even if I press and hold it in firmly, still no connection.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Touch firmware 7.7.3-r16676 is fine.

Settings > Advanced > Applet Installer: turn off "Reinstall after Firmware Update" and reboot - hold the Reset button in until logo reappears on screen.

You may need to reinstall the Enhanced Digital Output in order to turn the Ethernet port back on. It's in the same place. If you want to keep it, re-enable the "Reinstall after..." switch. EDO doesn't hurt anything.

Let us know what happens.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2016-12-09 at 12:24.

Does it have a link light on your switch.....?
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Settings > Advanced > Applet Installer: turn off "Reinstall after Firmware Update" and reboot - hold the Reset button in until logo reappears on screen.

You may need to reinstall the Enhanced Digital Output in order to turn the Ethernet port back on. It's in the same place. If you want to keep it, re-enable the "Reinstall after..." switch. EDO doesn't hurt anything.

Let us know what happens.
    Thanks for your input. I will try this when I get home. I'm using the SBT as a transport into an external DAC via digital coax, so I'm guessing EDO would be beneficial. I use Pandora and Spotify Premium, and play FLAC files from an SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmatt View Post
    Does it have a link light on your switch.....?
    Sorry, but is that aka a router as well? There is a light as I recall on the router when the cable is plugged in. I'm not certain, but it may have been flashing or flickering last night as I did all of this.

EDO enables Touch to play up to 24/192; your call whether that's beneficial. Look up more info on the Forum.
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2016-12-09 at 12:55.

My DAC does support 24/192, so might as well give it a go.

That didn't fix the ethernet connection problem. I did get EDO reinstalled, and it works with my DAC. Wifi still works fine.

I'm sorry, I may have given you some bad advice. My memory of EDO is that it included a switch to disable either of the network adapters. Now that I think about it, it must only have allowed disabling the wi-fi; there being some thought at the time that the wi-fi was an unnecessary source of noise if not being used. I don't have any further ideas on the Ethernet port; as you already posited, it may be broken. Wi-fi in my network is good for at least 24/96, though. (I don't have any 24/192 to test.)

No worries. I think the female ethernet jack must be bad. I've swapped cables and ports with known working connections, and still nothing. Luckily, the wifi works and sounds very good going into my Peachtree Audio novaPre hybrid preamp w/ built-in DAC. I can also still load-up the SD card with FLAC files without an issue, so I guess I'll keep this SBT unit.

Thanks for your help.